Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Pretty Funny: Apple recalling 1.8million notebook batteries

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pretty Funny: Apple recalling 1.8million notebook batteries
jase1125

2006-08-24, 12:31

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14500443/

SAN FRANCISCO - Apple Computer Inc. will recall 1.8 million lithium-ion notebook batteries after nine devices overheated, causing minor burns in two users, U.S. safety regulators said Thursday.

The recall is the second-biggest in U.S. history involving electronics or computers, after No. 1 PC maker Dell Inc. recalled 4.1 million lithium-ion batteries last week, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said. In both cases the batteries had power cells made by Sony Corp..

Cupertino, California-based Apple will recall 1.1 million batteries sold with notebooks in the United States and 700,000 abroad, the safety agency said. They were sold with Apple iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 computers from October 2003, through this month, according to the safety commission.

It is only funny to the extent that some apple zealots will have to eat a bit of crowe. Apple makes great products, but they are no better than their PC counterparts. Each has benefits and drawbacks. Just glad that his problem apparently does not affect the MacBook Pros.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-08-24, 12:36

Already been posted

SpecMode
Wait what

2006-08-24, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase1125
It is only funny to the extent that some apple zealots will have to eat a bit of crowe. Apple makes great products, but they are no better than their PC counterparts.
Except that in this case, it's the batteries being recalled, not the machines themselves -- batteries with cells manufactured by Sony, not Apple. No, I'm not saying that Apple products are perfect, but I think it's just a wee bit pretentious to say that "Apple zealots will have to eat a bit of crowe(sic)" because the company decided to recall a component because of a problem that wasn't even their fault.

jase1125

2006-08-24, 12:43

I agree. Dell is in the same situation, but some zeolots blast Dell over their recall. I know many Mac users aren't like that, but some are and it just irks me someone cannot objectively look at PC manufacturers or different OSes and say there are benefits over Mac or Mac OS X. Somethings, Macs do much better. Other things, PC's and Windows do much better.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-08-24, 12:51

Because this was already posted, I am locking this thread.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-24, 13:18

I'm unlocking this thread.

But now I'm utlra-super-double-mega locking this thread.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.