User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

CSS help needed


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CSS help needed
Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-17, 12:09

I'm redoing a Wordpress site into a Drupal site. I want them to look essentially the same for now. I've encountered a CSS problem that I can't solve but, no doubt, is a very easy problem.

The site is http://drupal.isitdbt.org . The bottom of the main content section cuts off the right sidebar. I've tried changing the div height to "auto" and it works if there's content in that left side to fill it up. But the sidebar is also wrapped in that div so it should account for the text there, too, right? I don't want to use a fixed height, but that seems to be the only way I can get it to work. Any suggestions?
  quote
jdcfsu
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida
 
2008-09-17, 12:54

Try using min-height with whatever the sidebar needs to function.

min-height: 150px; (example)
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2008-09-17, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
Try using min-height with whatever the sidebar needs to function.

min-height: 150px; (example)
min-height will work, but not in IE 6. Use a conditional comment to provide IE with a height parameter. So, you would have min-height, and then the same value in height parameter in an IE conditional comment.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
 
2008-09-17, 13:23

IMO, it's time to drop IE 6 support. The holdouts will never stop using that POS if designers keep catering to it.
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2008-09-17, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
IMO, it's time to drop IE 6 support. The holdouts will never stop using that POS if designers keep catering to it.
Completely agree. But sometimes it's not practical, because 75% of internet users are on something that came out before IE 7.

If I know I'm making a site where more than 50% of users are coming in on something standards compliant, I don't bother with IE 6. But that's normally not the case.

Thing is, you say "holdouts" as if there are people who are on IE 6 because they choose to use IE 6. Nobody chooses to use IE 6. The people using IE 6 are using IE 6 because they don't know better, and these are the people that you simply can't leave in the dark, because they'd be completely lost.

Even if you hold their hand and give them a link to IE 7 (or better, Firefox) they'll go "f that" and leave. It will, unfortunately, take mass Vista adoption (ew) for these people to get with the times.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2008-09-17, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Completely agree. But sometimes it's not practical, because 75% of internet users are on something that came out before IE 7.
What?

The numbers I typically see nowadays are closer to 30% (1, 2, 3) for IE6 with single-digit or less for older or more esoteric browsers. IE7 has already long overtaken IE6 in many areas.

Where I work, customers using IE6 dropped to a minority long ago. We still support fully IE6 because we're an online business and IE6 is still a significant chunk despite shrinking, but it won't be long before we start officially phasing out IE6 support as we implement new features.

(Also worth noting is that IE6 users generally spend less per capita, at least for our business, making them even less important. )

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-17, 19:15

min-height worked perfectly. Thanks.

Now, I'd like to figure out how to de-center the li under "Navigation". CSSEdit isn't helping me figure it out.
  quote
jdcfsu
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida
 
2008-09-17, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Even if you hold their hand and give them a link to IE 7 (or better, Firefox) they'll go "f that" and leave. It will, unfortunately, take mass Vista adoption (ew) for these people to get with the times.
One of the sites I manage is overrun with IE users and has almost 40% of them using IE6. I've had a HUGE drop down on every page telling them IE6 will cause the page to display improperly and cause safety concerns and point them to http://www.browsehappily.com/. That warning has been up for over a year and the percentage of IE6 users is still fairly consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The numbers I typically see nowadays are closer to 30% (1, 2, 3) for IE6 with single-digit or less for older or more esoteric browsers. IE7 has already long overtaken IE6 in many areas.
I'd say that's true for most tech savvy people, but the site I mentioned above caters to a lot of people who would not fit that category and probably skew the stats. Even more baffling was when I was watching last night's local newscast and they showed a screen shot from an article on their website and it was in IE6...

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-24, 10:56

I've finally decided to check my site in IE8. Looks like something's not right. Surprise, surprise! The site is www.isitdbt.org and the background should be a tannish color. In IE, it's white. And there's a rogue <hr> I think. Can someone help?

Oh, and it's not respecting my min-height fix from above.
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2008-09-24, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What?

The numbers I typically see nowadays are closer to 30% (1, 2, 3) for IE6 with single-digit or less for older or more esoteric browsers. IE7 has already long overtaken IE6 in many areas.

Where I work, customers using IE6 dropped to a minority long ago. We still support fully IE6 because we're an online business and IE6 is still a significant chunk despite shrinking, but it won't be long before we start officially phasing out IE6 support as we implement new features.

(Also worth noting is that IE6 users generally spend less per capita, at least for our business, making them even less important. )
I had no idea that IE 7 numbers were so high. At the last company I worked at, we still had 75% IE 6 users. But, in retrospect, given what the company did, I'm not surprised...

Thanks for the update

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2008-09-24, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I've finally decided to check my site in IE8. Looks like something's not right. Surprise, surprise! The site is www.isitdbt.org and the background should be a tannish color. In IE, it's white. And there's a rogue <hr> I think. Can someone help?

Oh, and it's not respecting my min-height fix from above.
The IE team says IE 8 is standards compliant, and I don't believe them. If IE 8 was standards compliant, all sites that work in Firefox would work fine in IE 8. Thus far, I've seen nothing supporting that conclusion.

And no, it's not that IE 8 is being served IE 6/7 CSS/JavaScript. A while back I found a way to make IE 8 send out a FF UA string, and nothing changed at all.

I'm truly baffled by IE 8. It doesn't appear to be standards compliant, but it doesn't work with any of the old IE hacks either. If this becomes the world's standard browser, we're all in for some chop.

So, the answer to your question is: no. IE 8 presents developers with new rendering bugs that nobody has put any serious effort into solving, yet. Hopefully they fix the rendering engine to be actually standards compliant before they ship.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
torifile
Less than Stellar Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-24, 22:58

I'm actually using IE7. I thought that Vista would have upgraded IE to 8, but it's still on 7. But I figured out the problems and they weren't as bad as I thought. The first one: I had to create a new style for html with the background-color set to what I had my body set to.

The second one was just a problem with font sizes. IE had H2 as a larger font than FF or Safari so one of my headers was soft wrapping in my sidebar. Turns out, IE was actually respecting my min-height setting and the setting was too low to accommodate that text wrap. I upped it a bit and now it works.

The next question I've got is how to get my sidebar to float with the edge of my text box. In my CSS, I've got its position set to absolute with a large left margin. I'd prefer it to stick to that side, regardless of how wide the page is. I hate using fixed widths and I've had to for the main text box. Any thoughts there?
  quote
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: In your dock hiding behind your finder icon!
 
2008-09-25, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
One of the sites I manage is overrun with IE users and has almost 40% of them using IE6. I've had a HUGE drop down on every page telling them IE6 will cause the page to display improperly and cause safety concerns and point them to http://www.browsehappily.com/. That warning has been up for over a year and the percentage of IE6 users is still fairly consistent.
Have you thought about giving your users some accurate and clear information instead of sending them to that lame browsehappily page? For anyone that doesn't know anything about browsers (and they obviously don't if they are using IE6) that page just reads like a bunch of nonsense and the only link goes to a 404!!

Do yourself, your users and the rest of the internet developing population a favour and send your IE6 users to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsupdate or http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/.

Why even bother trying to explain somebody else's product when they can do it much better themselves?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2024, AppleNova