Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Keyboard shortcut to view desktop?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Keyboard shortcut to view desktop?
krMACguire

Send a message via Skype™ to krMACguire 
2009-09-29, 08:17

I have come to love the Expose feature in Snow Leopard, but I still find myself wishing I could do one thing I could easily do in Windows. That feature was the ability to press a button to quickly view the desktop and minimize or hide all open windows.

I often work with multiple windows open for web browsing, spreadsheets, Word documents, photo editing and video editing etc. Many times I will quickly save a document from the web right to my desktop so I can use it in another program quickly, so I have found that I could really use a shortcut or something to quickly view just my desktop.

Is there a way to do this? If not I am sure I will adjust in time. Thank you!

Kevin McGuire
Mac user since July 2009
KRMcGuire.me | College Football Examiner | Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-29, 08:21

Is the Exposé "Show Desktop" option not what you want?

It defaults to F11, but you can change it in System Preferences. I have mine also set to a hot corner so I can just fling the cursor to the corner of the screen to hide all windows and see my desktop.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
krMACguire

Send a message via Skype™ to krMACguire 
2009-09-29, 08:53

Wow. I totally looked over the F11 and the Show Desktop option. I feel slightly stupid now, but thank you for pointing that out to me! Problem solved!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-09-29, 09:05

I have Expose set to Hot Corners. All windows in one, application windows in another, and Show Desktop in the top right.

I never use the F keys to get to Expose.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've flung my mouse to a corner on someone else's computer looking for Expose, many of them PCs.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-29, 09:19

I should think about doing that. I've currently only got one "hot corner" enabled...the lower left for screen saver activation. Not really sure how useful that is, but it's just something I've always done in OS X.

Assigning the Exposé features to the other three might prove useful.

I currently have the three Exposé commands (all windows, app windows, show desktop) assigned to the previously-unused F13, F14 and F15 keys, respectively, on my aluminum Apple keyboard. It works out well because those are the three F keys that sit alone, separated from all the others, in that area above the arrow keys (and the six home, page up, end, delete, etc.) keys.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2009-09-29, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I currently have the three Exposé commands (all windows, app windows, show desktop) assigned to the previously-unused F13, F14 and F15 keys, respectively, on my aluminum Apple keyboard. It works out well because those are the three F keys that sit alone, separated from all the others, in that area above the arrow keys (and the six home, page up, end, delete, etc.) keys.
I do exactly the same thing. Great minds think alike!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-09-29, 18:47

krMACguire: I think you (and everyone!) should try setting hot corners for Exposé, especially if you use a notebook. It's the first thing I do on any new Mac, or even any Mac I'm going to use for more than a few minutes. It really opens up a new way of working, in my opinion. I tend to have my hand on the mouse (or trackpad) a lot of the time, so it's a split-second thing to fling the cursor into a corner, whereas finding a key requires significant hand movement.

The one thing I would say is that you have to persevere with hot corners for a couple of days before abandoning the idea, because at first you may trigger the corners accidentally. With a bit of practice you soon learn not to do that, though.

You lose the Fitt's Law advantage of being able to click on the Apple menu and Spotlight very quickly, but I rarely use the Apple menu, and for Spotlight I just use Command-space, so I don't lose much in exchange for Exposé goodness.

More generally, when I first started using Exposé years ago, it took me a while to get familiar with where the focus was. Now I drag and drop stuff all over the place at light-speed with Exposé.