User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Shortcut for keyboard viewer?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Shortcut for keyboard viewer?
kdcny

2010-03-03, 09:32

Occasionally I need to use special characters/accents/etc., but not so much that I need the "International" input menu in the menu bar all the time. It seems like a hassle, though, to launch System Preferences, tick the "Show input menu in menu bar" checkbox, and then go to the menu and select "Show Keyboard Viewer".

So, my question is: is there any way to access the keyboard viewer faster than going through the International system preference pane? Or any other way of looking at special characters that doesn't involve me committing them to memory? I'm running 10.5.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-03-03, 09:46

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...80326102502259 and its comments has various ways.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-03-03, 10:10

On Ubuntu right now, so I can't verify, but IIRC quite a few of OSX's applications (Mail.app, Safari, etc) bring up the character palette when you press Option + Command + T.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-03-03, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
On Ubuntu right now, so I can't verify, but IIRC quite a few of OSX's applications (Mail.app, Safari, etc) bring up the character palette when you press Option + Command + T.
But kdcny seems to want the Keyboard Viewer, not the Character Palette.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-03-03, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
But kdcny seems to want the Keyboard Viewer, not the Character Palette.
Shit. Sorry. . That's what I get for just skimming the post and jumping to conclusions...
kdcny

2010-03-03, 11:05

Thanks for the link/advice, both of you. I don't think I've ever used the Character Palette, so it's nice to know how to invoke that too. This helps - thanks!