User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How long (in total years, not day-to-day use) do these Apple batteries last?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How long (in total years, not day-to-day use) do these Apple batteries last?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-09, 13:31

I have that Apple rechargeable battery set. I've had them for a couple of years now.

All of a sudden, it seems none of them are holding any sort of long charge (in the past, I could go a month or more, with pretty steady, heavy use). Now I'm changing them out a couple of times a week.

Is this normal, or is something going wrong?

There are six of them and I just use them for my Apple Magic Mouse...I've marked two of them with a red Sharpie dot, two of them with a green Sharpie dot and left the remaining two plain. These are paired together and I cycle them out in order...I'll use two, the other two get charged and then moved to "pending", then charge the depleted ones, etc. Everything is getting used the same, and getting charged in the same sort of rotation...all "equal" wear-and-tear/use. After the depleted ones charge (and the solid green light displays) I remove them from the charger (so the charger actually sits empty most of the time, and only gets use on the day my mouse goes dead, then I recharge that set and remove them once they hit green.

Am I going about this all wrong? Should I be randomizing and "mixing/matching" which ones I put in my mouse and the charger?

Two of them, when I stick them into the charger (starting about a month ago), won't even charge or present me with the solid amber "charging" light...they just blink (which isn't right). No matter what I do, I can't get those two to light up solid amber. So for the past 3-4 weeks, I've been rotating out the same two pairs...I've had to do it twice already this week (Sunday and then again this morning).

And from day one, I've had to pull them in and out of the charger because the amber would blink (which the instructions say is an "error" and not what you want. Are these things only good for a certain number of years or usage? I really like them, as I've not had to buy AA batteries in forever. Do I need to shell out $29 for a new replacement set (batteries and charger)?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-09, 14:26

I've only had one battery do the odd amber flashing. I also normally keep mine in the same pair since my mice, keyboards and trackpad use 2 AAs.

I have had a pack pretty much since they were released since they are supposed to be so good. They really are that good, however when they get tired they get tired fast.

Yeah, buy a new set of batteries. I forgot how many times they are cleared for being charged or used but it's certainly finite. I recently bought another pack of them and wrote an "o" on the old ones for "old".

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-10-09, 15:09

Apple branded batteries aside (I had never heard of such a thing before reading this) I have the impression that the Magic Mouse chews through any brand of batteries like they were made of cheese. None of the batteries that I have tried in mine (rechargeable or not) have lasted more than three weeks on a charge.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-09, 15:11

My Magic Trackpad would last for weeks and I use it 8 hours a day at work. I think I'll start logging how long the batteries last using a new set. I'm curious now of how long it will last. Three weeks between charges seems about right now.

When you are using rechargeable it matters far less. You also get a large number of recharges making the cost per use very low.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-09, 15:23

I've really enjoyed these past two or so years (I love not buying batteries), but maybe they've hit their ceiling. I'll keep an eye on it more, and maybe pick up a replacement soon.

I live a very trouble-free computing life. But when things do arise (like my screen issues), they always a) come on all at once, out of nowhere, and b) have no real rhyme or reason, or obvious cause.

My stuff just seems to randomly wig out 1-2 times a year, for no apparent reason, causing a 2-5 day troubleshooting/headache/support episode. then everything's totally cool/solid again for another 6-9 months. Been that way forever!
tomoe
Veteran Member

2014-10-09, 21:46

What are y'all doing with your mice that makes the battery lifetime so short? I've had the same batteries in both my mouse and keyboard at work (both Apple products) for at least 4+ months and have yet to change the batteries. Caveat: I'm a bit of a neckbeard that spends 8+ hours a day in the terminal and don't use my mouse much, often for hours at a time. But I am using the keyboard all the while and have only swapped its batteries once.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-09, 21:58

I think mine are just showing their age, after two-plus years.

The ones I put in this morning, at 100% charge, are now showing 37%...and I've been gone since 4:30 this afternoon and just got home about 15 minutes ago.