User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Is Apple missing the digital home entertainment boat?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is Apple missing the digital home entertainment boat?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-05-12, 09:54

With today's upcoming XBOX 360 announcement, I'm wondering if Apple has it's own integrated home entertainment strategy.

I know Jobs has never liked TV/Mac integration, but what about some kind of breakout box? Not sure if Microsoft has the answer themselves with this XBOX, but their inclusion of Windows Media XP means another generation weened on Windows.
JLL

2005-05-12, 13:43

Has the boat even arrived for other than geeks?

I prefer devices made to do their few jobs and no more - no OS is IMO stable enough to function as a home entertainment center.

How often do you reboot your DVD player?

BUT, Apple and Jobs have more than one time hinted at an AirPort Express with video capabilities.

- No matter where you go, there you are.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-12, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL
How often do you reboot your DVD player?
Well, I don't watch DVDs to much but since my XBox is my DVD player, I reboot it every time I want to watch a DVD.

My biggest gripe right now is my frickin' Comcast/MicroSoft cable-box/DVR contraption. I have to reboot this stupid thing (unplug for 2 minutes, then plug in again) every frickin' week! I'm ready to tell Comcast to give me my old box back. Of course my wife would probably kill me. When I got it she couldn't see any use for it at all. Now she's got the thing 1/2 full with Judging Amy reruns (gack). Like I don't see the building I work in enough, I get to see it played up in a stupid juvey court drama show.

*heavy breathing* *looks for meds*
Amadeus

2005-05-12, 19:55

Steve said at MWSF that this is the year of HD. So we should be seeing something this year.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-05-12, 21:38

I'm still waiting for the integrated, OS X compatible, toaster and fully digital, h.264 compliant waffle iron!
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-05-12, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
I'm still waiting for the integrated, OS X compatible, toaster and fully digital, h.264 compliant waffle iron!

MMMMMMM! HD waffles. ::drool::, ::is suddenly hungry::
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-05-13, 00:06

I don't think it's too far fetched to think that Apple will come out with a home entertainment strategy. They already pretty much own the music market, with the iPod, iTunes, and (to an extent) Airport Express. It's pretty much a given that Airport Express will get video capabilities soon - that's a no-brainer. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had something else up their sleeves, too. WWDC, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
Yes, but will it be a flying toaster?

dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-05-13, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Steve said at MWSF that this is the year of HD. So we should be seeing something this year.
Note: He was standing in front of a high-def projection at the time, a first for his keynotes. Also, apple had recently announced HD upgrades to all of its video products.

Just perhaps he was refering to these new apple HD offerings rather than announcing an unannounced product.
sCreeD

Send a message via AIM to sCreeD  
2005-05-13, 15:15

Patience. (last third)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-13, 15:17

Steve Jobs lies constantly. How can you possibly say that because he said it's the year of HD that Apple's going to come out with some new HD product? Nothing he says means anything; it's all just presentation and show.

*runs from Messiahtosh*
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2005-05-13, 18:15

Quote:
MMMMMMM! HD waffles. ::drool::, ::is suddenly hungry::
Does this mean my bottle of syrup will soon stream iTunes?