Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Breakout Box Palooza

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Breakout Box Palooza
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-02-08, 14:26

Just saw a mention of this new breakout box. What's your favorite flavor? Whycome??

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/08...dock-for-macs/

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-08, 14:42

I have the TB 3 box from them and love it. I use it as my daily system with a 2016 MBP. (Hard to believe my MBP is so old!). I just have one cord plugged into the MBP and everything else plugged into the dock. My keyboard, trackpad and two monitors being the primary things. I also have other peripherals like external amp for speakers and such too.

The stability is awesome and the ability to charge/maintain the MBP while using it like a desktop is great.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-02-08, 22:47

I don't have a TB dock, but the other day I was thinking about the weird way these things are marketed.

Usually, you show a product in action to convince a user to buy it.

We're all Mac gear heads, and since I'm currently researching new desk setups for my upcoming iMac Pro, I'm very open to seeing how an 12 or 18 port TB Dock would rock my MacWorld. But these guys tend to show these things sitting on a lonely-looking desk connected to a two-screen setup. I don't need an 18-port dock to have a two-screen setup. If photos don't work, draw me a diagram of what cool tech I can possibly hook up to this $400 device you are trying to sell me.

Maybe it's just one of those "if you have to ask you don't really need it" scenarios.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-02-09, 00:42

I don't have a physical workspace to land at right now, so for me these rigs are purely theoretical. However, I do have secret fantasies of plugging in a single cable and being connected to an entire system. I live vicariously through y'all.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-02-09, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
However, I do have secret fantasies of plugging in a single cable and being connected to an entire system.
That will come when the Mac Mini is repackaged in the size of an iPhone and we just carry our Mac in our pocket around from place to place plugging it into dumb terminal stations like a modern-day PowerBook Duo.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-09, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I don't have a TB dock, but the other day I was thinking about the weird way these things are marketed.

Usually, you show a product in action to convince a user to buy it.

We're all Mac gear heads, and since I'm currently researching new desk setups for my upcoming iMac Pro, I'm very open to seeing how an 12 or 18 port TB Dock would rock my MacWorld. But these guys tend to show these things sitting on a lonely-looking desk connected to a two-screen setup. I don't need an 18-port dock to have a two-screen setup. If photos don't work, draw me a diagram of what cool tech I can possibly hook up to this $400 device you are trying to sell me.

Maybe it's just one of those "if you have to ask you don't really need it" scenarios.
Here I shared a post of my setup and it isn't much different now. A few tweaks since these were done, but the dock and monitors are still the same. The hardest thing about a dock like this is if you needed to get to the ports on the back often. Clearly the design is geared for you to not mess with the back at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
matthew90

2022-02-21, 11:37

The CalDigit, Thunderbolt 4 is really good. Unfortunately, they exaggerated the price a bit. $359.95 is a bit too much for me.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-02-24, 15:41

Belkin has joined in on the fun.

One question about these Thunderbolt docks: Are they backwards compatible?

I mean, can I plug in my Thunderbolt 2 Mac and it works (slower, of course) or do I need a TB4 Mac to use a TB4 dock?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-02-24, 16:24

I use the Caldigit Mini Dock: https://www.caldigit.com/mini-dock/. It's compact but does everything I need into do. (USBA for a mic, two monitors, Ethernet)

In use: https://imgur.com/a/OArfvgS

My one criticism would be that it has no power pass-through, so I do have to plug in power to the other side of the laptop.