Special Event 10Sep2020?
Page 3 of 4 Previous 1 2 [3] 4  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-09, 20:54

Well done!! That is the one.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-10, 03:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
They're not going to use the same chips as the iPhone. That will be A14. iPad Pro will be A14x. Macs will either be A14x or some variation of A14xx. Apple has likely contracted with TSMC to push Mac chips down a different line. If the numbers are correct (and boy I sure hope they are) then I seriously doubt if that is the A14x. To get 16" Pro-level power they likely have an A14xx with more cores for both CPU and GPU. Either that, or the A14x architecture has come light years since A12x.
Yeah, I imagine something like:
  • the 12-inch MacBook becomes the 12-inch MacBook Air. The MacBooks Air get the same A14X as the iPad Pro.
  • higher-level products get beefier ones, something like A14M.1 (13-inch Pro), .2 (16-inch Pro, low-end iMac, Mac mini), .3 (high-end iMac) through A14M.4 (Mac Pro).

It's unclear to me how much they'll differentiate those. Do they just get more cores and higher clock? Presumably, they don't want to introduce needless complexity like Intel where only some chips have certain instructions.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-10, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Fully aware of that, but TSMC doesn't have unlimited production capacity. Apple sells way more iPhones than Macs (like 20-1 most likely), so it would make sense that they would prioritize iPhone chip production.
Prioritize? I think that Apple announcing their own chips for Macs carries so much weight with the media and customers that it is not something that can "go wrong". Apple has to be able to deliver these things, or everyone is going to ask why they abandoned Intel.

Basically, they have to get it right the first time.

As far as my predictions for this event:

1) Apple Watch Series 6. "Time Flies" isn't a hint, it's a very deliberate obviousness. Series 6 will be about the same as the Series 5, but with blood oxygen monitoring, a new SIP, and virtual hand-shake simulator.

2) iPhone 12. Apple Watch and iPhone are designed to work together, so it is hard for me to believe the two get separated. Also, September is iPhone season, and I think a timely announcement with slightly delayed shipping is more likely than splitting up the family.

3) All the new OSes begin shipping.

4) Epic does not do an on-stage demo of anything, but a competitor does. Laughingly, the competitor uses Unreal Engine in their game and the media collectively

5) AirPods NotPro. AirPods have become so popular that there will be a new version launched alongside each new iPhone. They will come in pretty, iPhone-matching colors and no one will be able to get them until February.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for ARM Macs, especially the iMac (that is my next computer; my last new Mac was a 2012 Mac Mini), but I am having a hard time believing Apple would pollute the iPhone release with a Mac. I still think that release is in late October. If it is announced, it should come as a One More Thing item.

As always, I will be wrong.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-09-10 at 12:24.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-10, 12:36

I think you're right where I was though I'll specify that the new OSes don't ship until two weeks before the devices do.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-10, 12:57

Looks like Apple One will be revealed too if I were a betting man.
Code:
<string name=”applemusic_with_aristotle_subtext”>Included in Apple One %s</string>
Apparently that is in Apple Music for Android now. Articles are starting to surface with that and more details.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-09-10, 20:37

Quote:
Prioritize? I think that Apple announcing their own chips for Macs carries so much weight with the media and customers that it is not something that can "go wrong". Apple has to be able to deliver these things, or everyone is going to ask why they abandoned Intel.

Basically, they have to get it right the first time.
Irreverent. TSMC still has other customers than Apple, they cannot just magically make more silicon production space because Apple wants to launch a new product. Apple has to wait it's turn just like all of TSMC's other customers. So Apple has a choice, order enough iPhone SoC production to meet the larger iPhone demand (most likely) or take some of that away to push through low production Mac chips that they will likely sell far less of. What would you do? Delay the launch of ASM till say late November or December, or lose out on possible iPhone sales. If I was Apple I know what I would choose.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-10, 23:06

Oh, I would absolutely delay ARM Macs, which is why I would also not announce them before I knew I was ready.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-11, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Looks like Apple One will be revealed too if I were a betting man.
Code:
<string name=”applemusic_with_aristotle_subtext”>Included in Apple One %s</string>
Apparently that is in Apple Music for Android now. Articles are starting to surface with that and more details.
You'd think someone in Craig's team would by now have figured out "hey guys, maybe don't merge the branch that mentions unannounced product names into main just yet".
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-11, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You'd think someone in Craig's team would by now have figured out "hey guys, maybe don't merge the branch that mentions unannounced product names into main just yet".
I suspect the person responsible for that line of code is getting talked to this week.
chucker

2020-09-11, 10:14

Quote:
I suspect the person responsible for that line of code is getting talked to this week.
Yeah, but as Gruber points out, this kind of thing keeps happening. Obviously, you can't prevent it entirely, but you'd think there'd be processes in place not to, y'know, publish a beta release with an unannounced product name in it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-11, 11:18

You'd think, right?

"Doubling down on security" and all that?

Maybe they want it to leak to keep people talking and getting excited, or to find leaks?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-11, 12:08

Sometimes I wonder if they don't let little things like that out to spur the rumors. I mean, it wasn't like details and easy to find. They had to look through code to find it. Sure people devote all their free time to doing just that, but it isn't like someone calling Gruber with a "juicy insider tip".

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-11, 14:03

Quote:
and virtual hand-shake simulator.
Um, what?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-11, 14:29

Just go with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-11, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yeah, but as Gruber points out, this kind of thing keeps happening. Obviously, you can't prevent it entirely, but you'd think there'd be processes in place not to, y'know, publish a beta release with an unannounced product name in it.
I think they are a bit more realistic these days. And it's much harder to keep things completely under wrap until the last minute at the scale they are working at without making the secrecy overly burdensome to development and testing.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-13, 10:35

Time Flies?

It's gonna be an Apple Drone, folks - duh...

You heard it here first.

You didn't believe it because it's so preposterous.

THAT'S how they get you!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-13, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Time Flies?

It's gonna be an Apple Drone, folks - duh...

You heard it here first.

You didn't believe it because it's so preposterous.

THAT'S how they get you!

The one really cool thing I loved watching The Phantom Menace in theatre was Darth Maul's controlling of the drone from his wrist. An Apple drone controlled and monitored by a Watch with an elongated screen across the wrist is an automatic buy.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-09-13, 19:56

I haven't missed watching an actual keynote as it happens since I started working for myself three years ago.

What do I do this time? Starting work with a new client on Tuesday from 10-4.

Grrrr. Stupid new people trying to pay me monies. Who do they think they are?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-13, 21:47

Drat! Damn those customers!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-13, 22:42

I'm finding it increasingly hard to care about these events. Doesn't seem like there will be any exciting announcements or significant surprises... never mind significant innovation.

chucker

2020-09-14, 04:17

I thought WWDC this year was a nice, if externally forced change. The video intermissions were a bit over the top (after a few, I was groaning, "OK, I get it"), but it felt more tightly packed and genuine. No pauses for applause, which have been feeling increasingly forced. The session videos are also more pleasant to watch, for the same reason — they open in a cute way, and are exactly the right length rather than needing to fit into a specific format.

But, I recently looked at part of a Stevenote (Yosemite Power Mac G3; him showing the door) and… there was just a certain je ne sais quo about it. Part nostalgia, part Apple being the underdog (which is an unfortunate undercurrent right now with the App Store debate), part showmanship, but also part having solutions nobody asked for and yet being pretty damn good.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-14, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
What do I do this time?
It's an online event. Just avoid social media and watch it when you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Doesn't seem like there will be any exciting announcements or significant surprises... never mind significant innovation.
Excellent. Now that you've put that in writing, it probably means the Diabetes Monitoring solution is ready.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-14, 08:48

kieran, given the age and it will be online you can avoid the news entirely and then watch the stream when you're done with the client. It is possible you might see ads for the new stuff before you can isolate yourself to watch it, but not likely.

chucker, I'm right there with you on that one. The almost forced applause and expected crowd reaction were becoming a heckling point for Mrs T and I. We actually joked about expecting to find a camera pan and show someone standing with a big sign that said "APPLAUSE" at one point.

chucker

2020-09-14, 09:22

I think it's simply become too formulaic, like they have a checklist of the kinds of things people expect from an Apple keynote.

Steve's media events weren't actually like that. If you watch, say, the iPod introduction, you may be surprised how low-key it is.

The average presentation is still quite good, don't get me wrong. They know how to not have too much stuff on a slide, they talk confidently, they seem happy to talk to you. But they're not… outstanding?

I also wonder if Apple having created the expectation of an annual cycle works against them.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-14, 13:50

I find it weird that there's been no buzz about a new Apple TV.

I get that they already have a 4K box, but in this particular year, the TV experience is particularly front and centre for everyone. I don't expect them to fulfill my wish for a complete transformation into the (more gaming and home monitoring focused) Apple Console. But no one has said anything about an improvement to that weird remote, new games (Macs come with Chess for free) or even adding an Apple controller instead of selling the Xbox version. I presume more memory is a given.

If Apple One is real, it would make sense to have new hardware to accompany it, wouldn't it?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-09-14, 14:16

I suspect that the Apple TV is a tough sell these days, all new TVs are smart, meaning unless you really want Apple content it’s a pass.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-14, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I suspect that the Apple TV is a tough sell these days, all new TVs are smart, meaning unless you really want Apple content it’s a pass.
We still sell quite a few of them.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-14, 15:32

Yeah, I'm in the market for two more right now. I'm holding out because I don't have to have them right now and I'm hoping for a new model before Christmas.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-09-14, 19:08

Interesting. The only people I know that have them are still using the gen 2, dang those things are ancient and only 720p IIRC.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-14, 20:10

My kids use it for Plex mostly. We also use them at HomeKit hubs though we don't have much other than Sonos speakers at the moment. I just don't give the kids the Sonos App so they AirPlay everything.

The perk of Apple TVs are that they are super simple to learn and everyone is used to them. No need for smart TVs because these do everything we want and then some. Another example is my son uses OneCast on the living room Apple TV so he can play with us even though the Xbox is in another room.

In the end, the Apps are what make the Apple TV valuable to us. I'm just one family example.