Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Looking for some website feedback

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Looking for some website feedback
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-07-15, 23:07

A few months ago, myself and a few other peeps started up a Philly sports based website. It had a basic look at first and then got updated. This past weekend, it got updated again.

Phinally Philly

Just a WordPress blog that we use to give our thoughts about Philly sports.

Since the new theme is in use and we've been using it for a few days, I thought I'd ask all you guys/gals here what you thought of it? Not necessarily the content, but the overall look and feel. Judge the content too if you wish, I'm just looking for some feedback.

Thanks guys.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-07-15, 23:11

I like it. It looks clean and is easy to navigate. Love how that guy worked a Cindy Crybaby reference into his post about the Winter Classic. Actually, I agree that Burnside is wrong. Philly - Boston will be great.

...into the light of a dark black night.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-07-15, 23:57

Looks good, but wtf is "newspheed"?
Partial
Stallion

2009-07-16, 00:10

I like the layout of the main page, but I don't care for the blockiness of the roll-over on the main and side navigation. The color change is almost too drastic.

Excellent start, though, looks very good!

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-07-16, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
"Newsfeed" with a "ph," a la "Phinally," "Phanatics," and, of course, "Philly."

But the "ph" is kind of awkward when it appears mid-word or -phrase. "Down on the Pharm" makes me think of pharmacuticals, and "Top Phive" just reads...wrong. But maybe puns are the phoremost phorm oph communication in Philly, I don't know.

That said, the "newspheed" seems to be more like a Twitter feed anyway; "Tis True. We Were Duped @User1 and @User2" isn't really a piece of news. I'd change the header, "Phollow Phinally" being the obvious choice.

The only design change I would consider would be putting "RSS Feed"/"Facebook"/"Twitter" explanatory text next to the icons under "Keep in Touch" in the sidebar. They're of debatable necessity, but it's not like you don't have the room.

Other than that, the only thing that weirded me out was the "Code support" part at the bottom. Are those the sponsors? They're nice and discreet but I don't really know what "Code support" means

Good job, all in all.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-07-16, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I like it. It looks clean and is easy to navigate. Love how that guy worked a Cindy Crybaby reference into his post about the Winter Classic. Actually, I agree that Burnside is wrong. Philly - Boston will be great.
Yeah, the guy who wrote that one just pretty much cover everything. He's a funny guy. I'm very excited for the WInter Classic. Thanks for looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
As was pointed out, "newspheed" is just another way of putting the "ph" in there. Not really necessary, but kind of fun to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I like the layout of the main page, but I don't care for the blockiness of the roll-over on the main and side navigation. The color change is almost too drastic.

Excellent start, though, looks very good!
Yeah, I don't really notice because of the size of my browser window, but I'll pass it along. Kind of drastic, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
"Newsfeed" with a "ph," a la "Phinally," "Phanatics," and, of course, "Philly."

But the "ph" is kind of awkward when it appears mid-word or -phrase. "Down on the Pharm" makes me think of pharmacuticals, and "Top Phive" just reads...wrong. But maybe puns are the phoremost phorm oph communication in Philly, I don't know.

That said, the "newspheed" seems to be more like a Twitter feed anyway; "Tis True. We Were Duped @User1 and @User2" isn't really a piece of news. I'd change the header, "Phollow Phinally" being the obvious choice.

The only design change I would consider would be putting "RSS Feed"/"Facebook"/"Twitter" explanatory text next to the icons under "Keep in Touch" in the sidebar. They're of debatable necessity, but it's not like you don't have the room.

Other than that, the only thing that weirded me out was the "Code support" part at the bottom. Are those the sponsors? They're nice and discreet but I don't really know what "Code support" means

Good job, all in all.
The newspheed is just a post where our Twitter feed is put on the site. I guess we could change the name of it. We'll talk. We could add the text under the icons as well. We'll have to put it in there and see what it looks like. I agree it could help, a lot of people don't know what those icons mean.

That code support thing is part of the WordPress theme. It was taken from a free site but modified a little. Can't afford a custom theme yet. I don't like how it's there either.

Thanks again guys for checking it out. I'll pass along the comments.

@_@ Artman

2009-07-16, 08:34

Good work. "Just a blog" wouldn't be a good comparison, it has a very polished and professional look to it.

I'm a Philly resident and though not a sports fanatic, I will recommend this site to my two co-workers to check out.

"I always question the received reality. The consensus reality is often intentionally misleading." - George Carlin
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-07-16, 08:54

Thanks Artman. I appreciate it.

Tell them we're on Facebook and Twitter as well. haha
@_@ Artman

2009-07-16, 09:05

Done. They already saw the site and will probably be back. As one said, "This is the start of the end for newspapers", where the readers, residents and fans of a city come together and create their own outlet for communication, community and information.

South Korea started this on a very larger scale since their internet connectivity is huge. But their "citizen" reporters helped change an election.

"I always question the received reality. The consensus reality is often intentionally misleading." - George Carlin
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-12-18, 10:43

Bit of a bump, but another piece of website news.

We installed a WordPress plugin (available here) to finally make the site iPhone / smartphone friendly.

What do you think?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-12-18, 10:51

Nicely done. Any complaints I have about it would be nitpicks.
ddelco

2009-12-18, 12:10

Safari 4.0.4
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-18, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelco View Post

Safari 4.0.4
Yeah, I'm seeing the same here, also on Safari 4.0.4.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-12-18, 13:50

Same thing in Google Chrome and similar in FireFox.
¡Damned!

2009-12-18, 14:02

Camino present and accounted for.