AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Too early for MWSF speculation?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Too early for MWSF speculation?
Page 3 of 7 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-12-01, 16:43

-iLife & iWork '07, now with spreadsheets!
-Core 2 Duo Mac mini based on the cheapo Conroe
-Beatles catalog, exclusive to iTS
-iPhone, 2.0 megapixel camera, syncing, phone, yada yada, 4 GB and 8 GB models at $350 and $400.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
maccrazy

2006-12-02, 15:02

Quote:
iPhone, 2.0 megapixel camera, syncing, phone, yada yada, 4 GB and 8 GB models at $350 and $400.
2MP is very 2005/06. It really needs to have a 3MP camera to effectively compete with next year's mid-range models.

Probably won't happen at MWSF, but I'm still hoping for a MacBook Thin in the first quarter (13.3-inch screen, no disk drive, MacBook Pro styled casing, possibly 32GB flash memory rather than a hard drive if prices are low enough by then etc).
wecallitfall

2006-12-02, 15:45

i guess they call you maccrazy for a reason
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-12-02, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccrazy View Post
2MP is very 2005/06. It really needs to have a 3MP camera to effectively compete with next year's mid-range models.

Probably won't happen at MWSF, but I'm still hoping for a MacBook Thin in the first quarter (13.3-inch screen, no disk drive, MacBook Pro styled casing, possibly 32GB flash memory rather than a hard drive if prices are low enough by then etc).
2 MP is perfectly big enough to make up to 5x7 at roughtly 200 ppi. The lens is more important, and at a reasonable pricepoint, there is probably going to be a tradeoff between the two. Apple is smart, they will go for the lens. They don't get sucked into the whole "need better specs!" game that everyone else does.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-02, 17:14

I think 2 MP is perfectly fine for a mid-range handset in the US. Standards elsewhere are higher, of course, but 2MP still isn't unheard of. Hell - the upcoming KRZR (K1), RIZR, and RAZR maxx all have 2MP cameras. The highest-end original RAZR - the V3xx, which Cingular will be getting in the future - is only 1.3 MP, as are other current mid-range and even high-end handsets, such as the Trace, K1m, V3i, and 6133. I think 1.3 MP is currently mid-range, so 2 MP should be fine for 2007.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-12-02, 17:58

If this alleged iPhone is unlocked (and I think it will be), that will be a huge feature that draws buyers in.

We've just started selling the new Serene at our store. Despite the hefty price, folks invariably pull out their wallets when they hear the word 'unlocked'.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
washington mac user
can't read

2006-12-03, 14:59

This is going to be interesting. MWSF is the same day as CES. Bill Gates has a keynote address to announce some Microsoft products and MWSF is time where Apple launches their new products. But I bet hes just going to talk about Vista. CES is also where other big companies announce new products for the year so lets see how they compare to Apple's. They're probably not going to be as cool.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-03, 16:10

Important difference: I'll be at CES. No such luck for MWSF.

There's always next Tuesday January...
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-12-03, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by washington mac user View Post
This is going to be interesting. MWSF is the same day as CES. Bill Gates has a keynote address to announce some Microsoft products and MWSF is time where Apple launches their new products. But I bet hes just going to talk about Vista. CES is also where other big companies announce new products for the year so lets see how they compare to Apple's. They're probably not going to be as cool.
I wonder if they'll announce the cancellation of the Zune due to low sales.

Seriously, at Sams Club last week they had a GIANT ASS display of them, it was a shipping skid piled about 5 feet high. Been there for a few days and not a single one missing. All the individual display boxes on the skid were still shrinkwrapped.

Over at the iPod crate, however, it was halfway sold.

I wish I'd taken a photo. That would be a good "PWNT!!!" image.
maccrazy

2006-12-03, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecallitfall View Post
i guess they call you maccrazy for a reason
Well I don't know I'm crazy as such - though you're right, hoping for a MacBook Thin might be a bit optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
2 MP is perfectly big enough to make up to 5x7 at roughtly 200 ppi. The lens is more important, and at a reasonable pricepoint, there is probably going to be a tradeoff between the two. Apple is smart, they will go for the lens. They don't get sucked into the whole "need better specs!" game that everyone else does.
I agree with your point on lenses, they are very important. I would go for a superior lens rather than a jump in MP from say 5MP to 7MP. However, 2MP cameras don't have enough resolution to fill a 20-inch monitor without having to stretch the image, but a jump to 3MP covers up to 23/24-inch monitors nicely - allows for cropping the photo, the zoom in effects in iPhoto slideshows etc. As for printing, you're right. 2MP is probably enough for most people.

If I convert our local prices to US dollars the Sony Ericsson K610 (3G) comes to $320 and the Sony Ericsson K750 (not 3G) comes to $300. If Apple is going to have two models, in my mind, it would make sense to have one with a 2MP camera and one with a 3MP (similar to the K800 (3G) - comes to around $500). Taking into account they will be competing with next year's phones, not this year's ones, plus the cost of flash memory that most other phones don't have, it doesn't seem too crazy to imagine them launching two modes around $350 and $450 (though I would say 2GB and 4GB respectively, rather than 4GB and 8GB as suggested above).
chris e boy

2006-12-29, 06:43

I think we'll get the following:

- iPod upgrade.
maybe not the "video" ipod but we'll see an upgrade of some sort sometime in January. Perhaps with bluetooth and a bigger screen and maybe a slicker UI.

- Leopard Info & Release Date
The "top secret" features will likely be a let down in my opinion but we'll get a demo of them and Steve will likely tell us when we can grab it. Steve will show us some of the features that have been popping up in the dev seeds.

- iTV
Release date and more information on this product. Perhaps a slightly more polished UI and hardware.

- Mac Mini upgrade to Core 2 Duo
Slightly overdue in my opinion.

- iLife & iWork upgrades
Of course.

- .Mac upgrade
Bit of wishful thinking on my part. A major price cut would be nice, or perhaps a cut-price version (I only used it for Safari/iCal syncing!)

And I think that will be it. No "iPhone" til later in the year, no "iTablet" and no 12" Macbook.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-29, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris e boy View Post
I think we'll get the following:

- iPod upgrade.
maybe not the "video" ipod but we'll see an upgrade of some sort sometime in January. Perhaps with bluetooth and a bigger screen and maybe a slicker UI.

- Leopard Info & Release Date
The "top secret" features will likely be a let down in my opinion but we'll get a demo of them and Steve will likely tell us when we can grab it. Steve will show us some of the features that have been popping up in the dev seeds.

- iTV
Release date and more information on this product. Perhaps a slightly more polished UI and hardware.

- Mac Mini upgrade to Core 2 Duo
Slightly overdue in my opinion.

- iLife & iWork upgrades
Of course.

- .Mac upgrade
Bit of wishful thinking on my part. A major price cut would be nice, or perhaps a cut-price version (I only used it for Safari/iCal syncing!)

And I think that will be it. No "iPhone" til later in the year, no "iTablet" and no 12" Macbook.
I think your predictions are pretty much on the ball really. I'd agree with most of them.

Maybe someone should start a "MWSF predictions" thread now.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-12-29, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dobbs View Post
Maybe someone should start a "MWSF predictions" thread now.
So what is this thread?

Anthem

2006-12-29, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
So what is this thread?

My thought exactly.
MagSafe

2006-12-29, 20:37

I'm thinking chris e boy's predictions are the best yet, but for the iPod ... I just don't know, Apple seem to be trying to seperate the iPod side of things from their Mac developments, sure, they'll make a big deal if the 'real' video iPod was to be released .... but for just some sort of improvement on the one we already have? I don't think so.

I wouldn't mind seeing some iPod improvements ... but i'd definetly prefer a more mac-based release.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-29, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
-Core 2 Duo Mac mini based on the cheapo Conroe
The cheapo Conroe-L will be single-core low-cost part for bargain basement desktops...and it's not even pin compatible with the current gen mini, so this isn't going to happen.

I expect them to just drop in current gen Socket-M Meroms in the minis. They definitely won't be the first Apple machines to use the i965GM chipset.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-12-30, 00:32

Seeing as the iSight has been dropped from the apple store online I am thinking that the displays might be updated.

I'm thinking this should include an integrated iSight / microphone, and an IR port / front row remote. Also the sizes of the displays and or the resolutions could change because of resolution independence. Maybe the 20" ACD will be HD.

Anybody else think some of these changes are likely?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-30, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
Seeing as the iSight has been dropped from the apple store online I am thinking that the displays might be updated.

I'm thinking this should include an integrated iSight / microphone, and an IR port / front row remote. Also the sizes of the displays and or the resolutions could change because of resolution independence. Maybe the 20" ACD will be HD.

Anybody else think some of these changes are likely?
Yes.
BFG

2006-12-30, 18:52

Right now the only think im really hoping for and not expecting is a refreshed (geddit) line of displays with iSights built in and a price reduction of £200 or so

yeah not a hope in hell regarding the price reduction i know.

Most of Macworld im sure will be dedicated to Leopard. Perhaps an iLife update and a final sight at the iTV... but 80% Leopard.

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-30, 18:55

Yes, if the 20 inch was 250 or less I would buy it...please halve the price!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-31, 02:18

Considering the 20" has seen a drop a whopping $100 in the last two rounds of price reductions, I'm really hoping the 20" display breaks the $500 barrier. Considering we're also hoping for iSights/remotes/higher resolutions, that might be unlikely, but it'd be nice if Apple's cheapest monitor was finally cheaper than their cheapest computer.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kuliand

2006-12-31, 08:52

well the only thing i really want is a phone from apple i've been waiting years for damn thing to come out. i've had my current phone since feb 2004 so im really finding it hard to wait much longer.

past keynotes and apple related videos:
http://hosted.filefront.com/keynotesteve
username=keynotesteve password=238179
BFG

2006-12-31, 12:38

Dell currently sells its 24" display for £716.81
Apples 23" comes in at £ 779.00 (that includes VAT)

Im sure apple could cut their profit margins on the displays a touch...

My guess is we might see a 24" with iSight for about £749 or somthing annoying

Mr Chuckles the Nipple Monkey
2.66Mac Pro 1900XT and lots of goodies
caoimhin

2006-12-31, 20:22

Here is what I think may be on tap:
  • New AirPort Extreme wireless hub sporting 802.11n @ 150M bps throughput
  • New Mac Pro with high end using 8 cores & all getting 802.11n wireless card
  • New Mini with Core 2 Duo / improved specs & 802.11n Wireless
  • iTV which works with new Airport Extreme as well as older technology
  • The long awaited - MacPhone (4GB flash) & MacPhone Pro (8 GB Flash)
  • Leopard Demo & release date
  • New iWork with full spreadsheet function, integrated Calendar, appointments & email

MagSafe

2006-12-31, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuliand View Post
well the only thing i really want is a phone from apple i've been waiting years for damn thing to come out. i've had my current phone since feb 2004 so im really finding it hard to wait much longer.
Me too, i got my Nokia in 2002 and after first hearing about these rumours i've been holding onto it for years!

I'm desperately needing some sort of PDA device to check and make adjustments to my calander & address book when i'm at work so a combined Phone and Organiser would be perfect. I really hope they don't try and bundle in iPod Nano functionality though and sell it for a higher price as I really wouldn't be interested in that, I enjoy my 60gb's of space thank you very much.

MagSafe

2006-12-31, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
Here is what I think may be on tap:
  • New AirPort Extreme wireless hub sporting 802.11n @ 150M bps throughput
  • New Mac Pro with high end using 8 cores & all getting 802.11n wireless card
  • New Mini with Core 2 Duo / improved specs & 802.11n Wireless
  • iTV which works with new Airport Extreme as well as older technology
  • The long awaited - MacPhone (4GB flash) & MacPhone Pro (8 GB Flash)
  • Leopard Demo & release date
  • New iWork with full spreadsheet function, integrated Calendar, appointments & email

I hope your right, as that would make some Macworld!

Its pretty obvious though that whatever line up they've got planned some sort of iSight replacement is on the cards.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-31, 20:59

I'm thinking we won't see any Mac upgrades beyond the possible exceptions of:

1. A Core 2 Duo Mac mini, so Jobs can claim they didn't only transition to the Core Duo in a year, they transitioned to the Core 2 Duo in a year. And...

2. RAM bumps in the low-end MacBook and iMac (and, again, the Mac mini) so all Macs will have at least 1GB. (These might not happen until the updates later in Q1, but they'll happen before Leopard hits this spring.)

We seem to forget that there's only so much time in a keynote, meaning Jobs tends to focus on new products or redesigns, not just speed bumps and the like.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-01-01, 02:39

Here is my guess...

Steve walks on the stage... and says
1. We sold ****** number of iPods last year... it was wonderful!
2. OSX 10.5 stuff
3. iLife 07
4. iWork 07
5. Something Mac related... or iTV
Steve walks off the stage...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-01-01, 03:45

Do you really think Apple sold only six digits worth of iPods last year, PB PM?
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2007-01-01, 05:08

When exactly is MWSF anyway? All I know is that it's sometime in January.