User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Mac Pro Patent and Intel Xeon to come...New macs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Pro Patent and Intel Xeon to come...New macs?
BizMac

2006-05-24, 10:28

Ok it's official: new Apple brand “MAC PRO,” under serial number 78885695.

and (according to Macsimum) Intel will ship the next processor next month: the Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor 5100 series.

So NEXT MONTH can we speculate for Mac Pros? Or are we all waiting for WWDC.

Last edited by BizMac : 2006-05-24 at 10:48.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-24, 10:33

I looked it up on the US Patent Office website, and it's indeed real. But it's a trademark, not a patent. Patents are for inventions. Trademarks are for names.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macpro.JPG (70.8 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Luca : 2006-05-24 at 10:40.
MacGregor

2006-05-24, 12:47

Aaah. I believe in symmetry and all for naming conventions, but just to call everything Macs takes away from the fact that we all use "Mac" as shorthand. How will we abbreviate Macs now? "Hey did you see the new M's Steve announced today?" Besides, PowerMac still has so much cache and it sounds cool and separates the lines easily. Typing fast on forums now will be harder as we all begin typing M, A, C, and then have to stop and tell our fingers whether to continue with "book" "mini" or "pro." So I guess I don't like too much change.

The "Mother of All" Flip-flops.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
Support the Freedom of Information Act by using it ... support the troops by being an informed electorate!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-24, 13:12

Er, what? If you really want acronyms, it's simple. Mm for Mac mini, MB for MacBook, iM for iMac, MBP for MacBook Pro and MP for Mac Pro. I'm not sure how the new naming conventions made this any more problematic.
ZachPruckowski

2006-05-24, 21:22

There are a lot of older threads on the Mac Pro. Based on the Woodcrest pricing, found at http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29510 it seems likely that Apple can afford to put together a quad 2.0/2.33/2.66 set-up at the current prices. My only question is if 1 GB RAM will be standard in the low-end Mac Pro. I'm guessing on a 7800 as the video card, and upgrade to a 7900.

Here's how it could break down on the low-end:

$660 for 2 2.0 GHz Woodcrests + $300 for a video card + $100 for a 250 GB HDD + $150 for the RAM + $200 for the motherboard + $100 for the case + $50 for BT/wireless

That comes to $1560, for a $2000 computer. Seems reasonable.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-06-05, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Er, what? If you really want acronyms, it's simple. Mm for Mac mini, MB for MacBook, iM for iMac, MBP for MacBook Pro and MP for Mac Pro. I'm not sure how the new naming conventions made this any more problematic.
No kidding. Heck, I've been abbreviating iPod names that way forever.

See if you can tell which iPod I'm talking about:

iPs
iPn
iPm

Is it that hard? As for "stopping and having to tell our fingers to type mini, book, or pro," we do that already with iPods - and we used to do it with i- and Power-. It's not that hard.

I like the new naming system.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-06-05, 15:57

Maybe they're trying to educate people that it's Mac not MAC.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-06-05, 16:01

iMac is all that is left that isn't Mac something, so will they rename it and/or update it when they put Core 2 Duo in i?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-05, 16:02

This sums it up nicely.

(And yay for Slashdot's new design. About fucking time.)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-06-05, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
There are a lot of older threads on the Mac Pro. Based on the Woodcrest pricing, found at http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29510 it seems likely that Apple can afford to put together a quad 2.0/2.33/2.66 set-up at the current prices. My only question is if 1 GB RAM will be standard in the low-end Mac Pro. I'm guessing on a 7800 as the video card, and upgrade to a 7900.

Here's how it could break down on the low-end:

$660 for 2 2.0 GHz Woodcrests + $300 for a video card + $100 for a 250 GB HDD + $150 for the RAM + $200 for the motherboard + $100 for the case + $50 for BT/wireless

That comes to $1560, for a $2000 computer. Seems reasonable.
OEM price and Apple's costs are two very different things. Still, it's all we really have to go on. I doubt Apple's going to stick a $300 video card in there. The GeForce 6600 in the current Power Mac can be bought for, oh, $60. The 6600LE is maybe $50. The case, OTOH, probably is over $100, and you're forgetting the power supply (the Power Mac G5 has always used really powerful PSU) which would probably sell for around $50-$70 separately. Finally, RAM is around $100 per GB these days, so I doubt Apple's going to put $150 worth of it in there. I guess they might throw 2 GB in the highest end Power Mac, but the base model will probably only get 1 GB (possibly 512 MB, but Apple's been putting 1 GB in the higher end MacBook Pros).
Rolo

2006-06-05, 17:15

IIRC, the Woodcrest chip is the only one of the new Core series that can be used in pairs. That means it's the most likely chip for Apple to put into the high end version of the new Mac Pro desktop. I'm also assuming it maxes out at 3 GHz at the moment so Apple could finally have a dual Xeon Quad 3GHz Mac Pro.

Let's hope they have some good graphics card choices.

[Edited to correct boo boos.]

Last edited by Rolo : 2006-06-05 at 17:23.
Rolo

2006-06-05, 17:50

Apple could use the new Glidewell workstation platform for the dual Woodcrest (Core Xenon) chips with a FSB of 1333 MHz per processor. That'd make for a blazingly fast new Mac Pro with 3 GHz chips. (Current Quad G5 has 1.25 GHz bus per processor.)

The new iMac could get the Conroe (Core 2 Duo) chips with either 2MB or 4MB L2 cache.
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2006-06-05, 20:28

I wonder if the Woodcrest chips will be more expensive for Apple than the dual-core G5s. I suspect they will.
MacRonin

2006-06-05, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes
I wonder if the Woodcrest chips will be more expensive for Apple than the dual-core G5s. I suspect they will.
Maybe, but I think Intel will sell more of the Woodcrest chips to it's various customers (Apple & a whole bunch of PC companies) than IBM did G5s to it's single customer (Apple)…

More production, lower price per unit, or something like that…
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-06-06, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
iMac is all that is left that isn't Mac something, so will they rename it and/or update it when they put Core 2 Duo in i?
I don't think so. It has "Mac" in the name, unlike iBook or PowerBook. (The reason Apple gave for renaming their computers was so that they'd each have "Mac" in the name.) The iMac really is in its own line, so it's good that it's named as such. Also, the "i" helps cement the visual connection between the iMac and iPod.

The real question is: will we see an iMac Pro?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
MacGregor

2006-06-06, 01:33

Well, I'm not looking for more acronyms, I'm looking for good names. I'm sure these will sound great in a year or two, but Mac Pro doesn't sound like a top of the line machine. That is all I meant.

"iPm" and "Mm" are really great abbreviations, dude!

The "Mother of All" Flip-flops.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
Support the Freedom of Information Act by using it ... support the troops by being an informed electorate!
McSandwich

2006-06-06, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor
Well, I'm not looking for more acronyms, I'm looking for good names. I'm sure these will sound great in a year or two, but Mac Pro doesn't sound like a top of the line machine.
Yeah, sounds a bit like a McDonalds meal for high powered executives
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-06-06, 05:22

I find it interesting that Tablet computers are mentioned in the goods and services part in that patent thing. But what do I know?!