Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook Pros are definitely notebooks and not laptops

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pros are definitely notebooks and not laptops
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-21, 23:11

jeebus christ! these things get hot.....

what do you others who have received yours think of the temperature
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-21, 23:17

Have you owned and used a PowerBook G4? Those get pretty hot too when under a heavy load, internally up to somewhere around 180°F as I recall. Remember that water boils at 212°F.

What exactly are you using for a measure or comparison?

edit: yeah, this is how hot I've had my 12" PBG4, but it was an intentional stress-test where I pegged the CPU and GPU with a special program I wrote.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-02-21, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
but it was an intentional stress-test where I pegged the CPU and GPU with a special program I wrote.
Holy shit, another Mac virus.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-02-21, 23:26

no way to measure the temp

temperox doesnt work and neither does marcel bresinks temperature monitor

it says no sensors found
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-21, 23:29

Here are two Universal Binary apps that should find the sensors:
Temperature Monitor 3.3, Hardware Monitor 3.3

edit: err, it's worth a try, but... "Note: The Mac Book Pro is not fully supported by the application yet. Support will be added as soon as Apple is capable of shipping us first test systems."

edit2: didn't see that you'd tried Temperature Monitor.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
HappyJack

2006-02-21, 23:53

I just recieved mine this morning, and one of the first things I noticed was the heat. This is my first Mac since the Apple ][ days, so I don't know how hot the G4s ran. It is hotter than most Windows portables I've played with, but not so bad you can't keep it on your lap.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-02-22, 00:03

Where is/are the hot spot(s), buy the way? In one place, or generally all over the bottom plate?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-22, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Where is/are the hot spot(s), buy the way? In one place, or generally all over the bottom plate?
This pic shows the hot spots.
AlexN

2006-02-22, 01:26

How can I see the current temperature in OS X?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-22, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
How can I see the current temperature in OS X?
Use one of the aforementioned programs (or just search MacUpdate for "temperature"), but the software appears to not have been fully updated yet for the new Intel-based systems.
AlexN

2006-02-22, 01:31

thanks Brad.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-02-22, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
This pic shows the hot spots.
Looks like they have put some thought into the hard drive location and heat (assuming it is still under your left palm when typing).

I have a fan aimed at my PB G4 all the time to keep airflow over the drive area...

I am conviced the hard drive I lost on this machine was due to the fact I am..

a) In a very hot country and prefer not to use aircon all day long

b) The PB G4's do not dissipate heat around the hard drives particularly efficiently.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
saschke

Send a message via ICQ to saschke Send a message via MSN to saschke  
2006-02-22, 04:26

Yeah scratt, I can imagine how hot that thing gets in Thailand Where do you live there??? Bangkok? (Because of your radio show?)
tacvbo83

2006-02-22, 04:58

all apple laptops get very hot, my friend has an ibook which also gets extremely hot and has a battery life that is 2-3 hours...same as this MacBook Pro's...i think it is not bad for the big difference systemwise
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-22, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacvbo83
all apple laptops get very hot, my friend has an ibook which also gets extremely hot and has a battery life that is 2-3 hours...same as this MacBook Pro's...i think it is not bad for the big difference systemwise
all apple laptops get hot but when I touched the bottom of these things at MacWorld the heat was unbearable. That's not good.
tacvbo83

2006-02-22, 13:08

how about one of these...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093469291003
Kyros

2006-02-28, 22:01

Doesn't seem like too big a deal, my PBG4 runs perfectly fine and it gets unbearably hot on the upper left corner if I'm pushing it hard. The highest temperature monitor has shown it go is 63° C (under 150 F).
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-28, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacvbo83
Or maybe one of these:

http://www.coolsafetyproducts.com/si...52/page/723490
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-31, 15:18

So, any actually-working temperature monitors yet?
mwe

2006-03-31, 20:38

Quote:
I'm getting an MBP soon and I saw this heat issue on a forum. The solution is to reset the power management. Loads of people have had the same problem and once they reset the PMU it solved it.
Have anyone here tried this?
rlcramer

2006-04-02, 21:14

I bought one of those stick-on thermometers at a hardware store (they look kind of like the ones that I used to stick on my fish tanks, but these go up to 350 degrees F). My MBP runs consistently at 160 F, when it is doing absolutely nothing. It is completely unbearable on my lap, even when I am just surfing the web. I shudder to think how hot it will be once I get FCP 5.1 and start really pushing it. My wife's ibook right next to me runs at a consistently cool 104-110 F. Her laptop can be on her lap for hours, the MBP would literally burn the skin off my legs if I ever tried to leave it there uncovered for more than a few seconds. It is by far the worst apple laptop I've ever owned in terms of heat. And it's not just an isolated issue. I've returned 2 other MBP's to Amazon for noise issues, but they all ran just as hot as this one. I honestly thought that switching to "low power" intel chips would cause the heat issues to decrease, but I was wrong. I've NEVER seen a PC laptop get anywhere near this hot.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-04-03, 07:34

I'll tag this onto the thread, might be useful for some:

Dailytech - Apple addresses MacBook Pro issues