AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacBook Q & A

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Q & A
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-17, 22:12

Have a question you want answered by a MacBook user, post it here and I will see what I can do for you.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-17, 22:16

I'll start. Does MenuTemperature 1.0.3 work for you?
BenP

2006-06-17, 22:45

Me next. Do you have a black or white one, and how much do smudges/discoloration show?
duyvan82

2006-06-17, 22:47

my turn does the macbook's GMA950 support coreimage and quark express? (is dashboard ripple effect supported)? Thanks
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-17, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
I'll start. Does MenuTemperature 1.0.3 work for you?
1.0.1 I believe is running right now. Its working like a champ. I'm in an air conditioned room cooled to exactly 78 degrees right now, with my computer running at 65 degrees celsius from a couch.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-17, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
Me next. Do you have a black or white one, and how much do smudges/discoloration show?

I own a white model. The lowest end model. As for fingerprints, they show up exactly as they would on an iBook, meaning pretty much only the lid and bottom where it is glossy. They only show up if you push hard on it as well or have oily hands. Do you want me to take a photo?

The palmrests stay perfectly clean. Much cleaner than on my iBook. The keys are also much whiter, and the the keyboard is not nearly as dirty.

I have had ZERO of the reported discoloration issues reported and I have been working this thing hard.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-06-17, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by duyvan82
my turn does the macbook's GMA950 support coreimage and quark express? (is dashboard ripple effect supported)? Thanks
I assume you mean "Quartz Extreme", not "Quark XPress" Quartz Extreme is certainly supported; not so sure about Quartz 2D Extreme, though that isn't in use yet anyway.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-06-17, 22:56

I've a BlackBook. I've got smudges on it. Every day or so, I wipe it down with a little alcohol on a rag.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-17, 23:01

Quote:

Yes, and its glorious. It looks so pretty! This image quality on this is excellent as well.
chucker

2006-06-17, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
1.0.1 I believe is running right now. Its working like a champ. I'm in an air conditioned room cooled to exactly 78 degrees right now, with my computer running at 65 degrees celsius from a couch.
That's great. All the more confusing that I keep getting reports of people getting no data.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-06-17, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
Yes, and its glorious. It looks so pretty! This image quality on this is excellent as well.
I'll second that.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-06-17, 23:24

Should I buy one or be content to stick with my more than fast enough for my needs 12" PowerBook?

Say yes.

Please.
arnoct

2006-06-17, 23:40

I also just got a macbook so I can answer questions as well (First time mac user too!)

Yes. Buy one now. Everything about this notebook is wonderful--the iSight is sharp, the screen is crisp and clear, the keyboard is a wonder to use, and of course the computer itself is snappy. I bought the low-end model and I've had NO speed problems at all. It even runs WoW with lower graphics settings although I wouldn't recommend running it with 512mb ram (I have it running fine with 1gb on my PC)

And I must have gotten a good one or something--normal operating temperature for me is 40-50 celsius with it going to 70 ONLY with prolonged full CPU use. And oh my GOD the battery runs for a long time... With the backlight dimmed I'm pushing a little under three hours so far and I still have 56% battery life left! Mind you I've only been surfing and listening to a few songs but man it lasts for a long time.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-18, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Should I buy one or be content to stick with my more than fast enough for my needs 12" PowerBook?

Say yes.

Please.

No. Buy a girl that you like something pretty/flowers if you're a young kid, or save your money for another year or two when you get 45nm and quad-core laptops.
duyvan82

2006-06-18, 00:34

thanks tensdanny for your quick reply and yes, I was speaking of Quartz Express
I got one more question though, would the difference in terms of speed be noticeable between the 1.83 and the 2.0 model? I'll be getting one in about 2 or 3 weeks yet I haven't decided which one to buy lol
Also how about wifi performance? i've heard people complaining about singal being dropped... I currently have a NetGear DG834G wireless router which supports both 802.11 b and g, will it work with the macbook?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-06-18, 00:57

The Macbook still uses the same airport extreme that every Mac with wireless has used for the last few years. It should work just fine.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-18, 01:17

Quote:
thanks tensdanny for your quick reply and yes, I was speaking of Quartz Express
I got one more question though, would the difference in terms of speed be noticeable between the 1.83 and the 2.0 model? I'll be getting one in about 2 or 3 weeks yet I haven't decided which one to buy lol
Also how about wifi performance? i've heard people complaining about singal being dropped... I currently have a NetGear DG834G wireless router which supports both 802.11 b and g, will it work with the macbook?

The wireless signal is great. Much stronger than the iBook. For example, yesterday I was computing from my 3 seasons room, which received 1 bar on the 12" iBook. Now, it gets full signal. It's awesome.

As for the 1.83 to the 2.0, I have no idea. I would say you'd be better off getting the 1.83 with extra ram versus a stock 2.0 unless you need the DVD burner.
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2006-06-18, 03:44

Quote:

Say yes.

Please.
Buy one! Absolutely

(I just bought one, even though my iBook could've served my for a bit longer)

Oh, and with all those jobs, psssh, you can allow yourself a toy or two. Flowers, no. Meet the ladies online
duyvan82

2006-06-18, 05:13

lol there would be no...uhm physical contact online hehehe

Do you have to have 2 matched RAM sticks on the macbooks? Would it be possible to have, say, a 1GB stick and one stock 256?
arnoct

2006-06-18, 07:49

From what I've read there's nothing stopping you from doing your RAM like that BUT apparantly it's not a good idea because of the integrated graphics. But I'm not sure, too techy for me. Personally I'm running everything fine with 512mb (minus the graphics,) although I do intend on upgrading the RAM eventually.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-18, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoct
From what I've read there's nothing stopping you from doing your RAM like that...

Errrmmmm....

eochs

2006-06-18, 10:03

I got the 2.0/SD/White MacBook on Thursday and am absolutely in love with it... Upgraded to 2GB of Patriot RAM yesterday ($169 at Frys) and now the thing is screaming! I think I've seen one spinning beach ball since upgrading... Right now I have iTunes, Safari, iChat, Azureus, Mail, iPhoto, and a bunch of Dashboard widgets running without any slowdown at all... With 512MB it would pause a lot with even this few amount of things open...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-06-18, 11:11

Quote:

Say yes.

Please.
If its the last G4 12" machine you should be fine for another year, maybe two. Keep it, and save your money for a nice Macbook Pro.
neiltc13

2006-06-18, 12:08

There is absolutely no reason for anyone who doesn't need a DVD burner to not buy the base model with RAM/HDD upgrades.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-18, 12:44

Quote:
lol there would be no...uhm physical contact online hehehe

Do you have to have 2 matched RAM sticks on the macbooks? Would it be possible to have, say, a 1GB stick and one stock 256?
I added 1 additional 1gb stick and kept a 256 stick in. The benefit of having them in dual-channel configuration is that in theory it doubles the memory bandwidth allowing more data to pump through. In the MacBooks, Intel has officially made a statement to one of Apple Nova's very own that these are not dual-channel boards. You would be better off going with 1gb and 256 as your ram configuration.
Partial
Stallion

2006-06-18, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
There is absolutely no reason for anyone who doesn't need a DVD burner to not buy the base model with RAM/HDD upgrades.
Word. It's fast. Real damn fast.
arnoct

2006-06-18, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13
Unless you buy it at a retail store that isn't the apple store :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Errrmmmm....

Bow chicka bow wow!

That's a good way to destroy a stick of ram :O
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-06-18, 18:01

Does the edge (lip?) between the keyboard/handrest and the side of the MacBook cause your hands pain if you use it for awhile?

Can you actually use it on your lap or do you need something between your legs and the MB?

How much battery life do you get when watching DVDs with no online/BT active? Could you watch and entire extended edition LOTR DVD on one battery? I just used LOTR because it's the only movie I could think of that lasts over 2.5 hours.

What kind of usable distance can you get from the IR remote? Do you have to aim precisely at the MB or can you just point in the general direction?

As an example of the extreme in IR sensitivity, I can aim my Samsung DLP remote at the wall behind my head and the Samsung will receive the signal (the Samsung is in front of me).
polvoronn

2006-06-18, 18:03

how much available hd space does the lowest end model come with out of the box?
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-06-18, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Does the edge (lip?) between the keyboard/handrest and the side of the MacBook cause your hands pain if you use it for awhile?

Can you actually use it on your lap or do you need something between your legs and the MB?

How much battery life do you get when watching DVDs with no online/BT active? Could you watch and entire extended edition LOTR DVD on one battery? I just used LOTR because it's the only movie I could think of that lasts over 2.5 hours.

What kind of usable distance can you get from the IR remote? Do you have to aim precisely at the MB or can you just point in the general direction?

As an example of the extreme in IR sensitivity, I can aim my Samsung DLP remote at the wall behind my head and the Samsung will receive the signal (the Samsung is in front of me).
If the remote is anything like the MBP (which it is), it will perform surprisingly well, although the computer may be initially a little unresponsive.