User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 132 of 221 First Previous 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 19:38

She just needs to blame it on drugs or something. That would be forgiven. Applauded, even.

Hell, she'd probably get a book deal out of it.

Pillow Talk: My Time Spent Banging a Wingnut
Dr. Bobsky

2021-01-21, 19:49

Sorry... but the Daily Mail is not a source of journalistic integrity. It's TMZ with less scruples...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-21, 20:35

This story could fit so well as an actual 30 Rock episode I almost wonder if it's performance art.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 20:57

Like when Joaquin Phoenix was acting like a complete weirdo years ago, and it turned out to be a big media stunt?

Some article brought that up, asking if it was a joke/prank of some sort.

Always a possibility. Would make sense because the other thing - those two dating - is just...weird.

I know unlikely people are drawn together sometimes - that alien lizard, James Carville, and his ideologically-opposite wife Mary Matalin have somehow made it work. But I think they're among the exceptions. He's obviously got some sort of intergalactic reptilian mind control hold over her, bless her heart, but we don't like to talk about that.

I'm not in the UK, so I have no idea what the Daily Mail is like.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 19:11

Aww, I just saw this.

Hank Aaron, dead at 86.

Coming up in the South in the 70's, just over 100 miles from Atlanta, this man loomed large. I had a little plastic Braves batting helmet I wore as a pup, whether I was playing or not, and I requested "44" as my number during my three years of little league.

All I wanted, as a little boy, was to meet him and shake his hand.

I haven't thought about him in years, but this news hit me sideways, a little harder than I would've ever imagined.

Funny how some things do that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 20:01

The latest on the Jane Krakowski/MyPillow guy thing.

Denials, lawsuits, lies, hoaxes, etc.

Sounds about right.

If she's the "gay icon" that article says, she's not gonna hook up with anyone in DT's circle. She wouldn't risk alienating/pissing off that base. Lady Gaga isn't going to go and date one of those Westboro clowns, for crying out loud. That's just not going to happen.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-24, 00:11

I had no idea that you could run a railroad on Adobe Flash.

The best thing about this story is the ending, which showcases the true insanity of humanity. Instead of using any number of modern tools, they chose to adopt a band-aid solution on top of their initial band-aid solution. This will end really well.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-24, 01:49

I shared the Flash story with friends earlier today because it's just so damned perfect and I think it's iconic of everything that I've read about China - humanity is pretty much a bunch of redneck yahoos taping shit together.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-24, 15:35

What an odd use for Flash. You'd think there would be far simpler ways to get a railway working than using something as junky as Flash.

Using a hacked version of Flash to get it working again, how funny. I wonder how much cryptocurrency mining that thing is doing in the background on their systems? Or maybe there will be a story in a few days about how the railway was shutdown again because the hacked version installed some ransomware.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-24, 18:55

They bought themselves a modicum of extra time by running the bootleg Flash while attracting worldwide attention to their post-apocalyptic computer setup. As long as the system is running in a vacuum, disconnected from the internet, it might be safe from violation.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-25, 09:41

I'm sure it will end well for them.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-26, 11:18

Apparently the version of flash the railway went to was not bootleg at all, just an older version.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-27, 16:42

Have y'all seen what has happened with GameStop stocks? I keep meaning to post about it but always forget. Now I don't have an article open to share here but I'll give the summary:

A subreddit group decided to screw over short selling hedge funds but making a race condition with the GameStop's stock. It was in the $70's but is over $330 last I saw in just a day.

On one hand, this will be great for a casual investor who happened to have stock in GameStop. For others it will mean millions lost. Apparently the short sellers are getting eaten alive right now because of this. Once fund claimed a 100% loss due to this.

Edit: Lifehacker has a pretty good article giving general summary of what happened. I didn't realize it was at least there companies that were being "targeted" in hammering the short sellers.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-01-27 at 18:32.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-01-27, 19:10

The Gamestop thing has been brewing for quite awhile. Almost 2 years ago, IIRC, one of the users on r/WallStreetBets (DeepFuckingValue) posted a "YOLO" gamble he was making on Gamestop. He invested ~$53K, almost all in call options, and is now sitting on roughly $47 million if he would have pulled out today. They (some of the posters there) have the running hypothesis that things still haven't peaked and the "gamma squeeze" is yet to come.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-27, 19:25

So the price is expected to go up again? How interesting. If I had cash laying around for that and I was a betting man I'd jump in. I don't and I'm not though so I'll read about it on the sidelines.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-01-27, 19:39

I mean, I don't know. I'm basically parroting what I've read (so that that with a GIANT grain of salt, like a pint or so worth at least). I am mildly kicking myself for not getting some earlier this month when it was $20 and they were chatting about it, but something something hindsight is 2020. That said, I'm content watching as an outsider--I don't need that kind of investment volatility lol.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-27, 20:35

So what I want to know is, do they intend to take on more hedge funds? Aren't there a clutch of stocks caught up in this organized effort?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-27, 23:50

Yup, this is basically a "Fuck that guy" raid. Rumor is (and I cannot verify, so grain of salt, etc, etc) it started when Hedge Fund Manager A (HFMA) gave an interview stating that stock trading should be limited to professionals only, and that the average person was essentially too stupid to be trusted to do it.

Cue the "oh fuck *you*" brigade, who look up his holdings, find $GME as a massively shorted stock, and go hammer on it to drive the price up. This over-extended him to the point that in very short order he owed more on the gap than the entire assets of his fund: bankrupt.

Two buddies at other funds step in to front him over 2.5B$ to get him through the doldrums, and guess whose short position stocks get targeted next? They're quickly making this guy and his buddies radioactive.

If true, this is a public hit job, and I am loving it.

It's not a traditional pump and dump scheme, there's no insider trading at work, no back room collusion, it was done on public boards in plain sight with publicly available information only.

I suspect, of course, that the SEC will step in and put a halt to it, wiggling their fingers and making up new rules to prohibit this type of behavior from Da Unwashed Masses while ensuring that the same behavior can continue among the 'professionals'.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-01-28, 00:13

Kickaha pretty much nailed the analysis. I'm loving every minute of this too.

I know one guy IRL who got on the hype train a few days ago when it was "only" trading around $60. I thought surely it wouldn't go much father after that, but, well, here we are. Today was a positively mind-boggling day for trades, though, and it's gotta give out soon, right? After all, there are only so many zoomers left with stimulus checks to burn.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-28, 09:00

This really is fascinating to watch. I have to admit, it would have been nice to own some of those stocks before this.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-28, 11:22

I don't understand stocks/trading enough to know what's going on, but it seems like some people got themselves hosed by running their mouth a bit? Is that the CliffsNotes gist? That is kinda funny such a thing could happen.

What keeps it from happening again?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-28, 11:48

I've been watching the stock this morning and it is still horribly unstable. Day's Range: 112.25 - 482.8499
Currently it is at about $250 but climbing.

There is no way I would actually bet money on this one. Heck, I wouldn't have invested in it before this either knowing bricked mortar stores are suffering horribly. They do have an online presence, but it still centers around their retails stores.

Not sure how they would keep something like this from happening again. I mean, this was all public and nothing really hidden about it. It was obscure and only those in on it were in the loop, but it wasn't even a private forum. It was a subreddit.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-28, 12:06

Didn't Robo work there at one point? I seem to remember him mentioning that here, and some of his experiences working at that store (funny stories about dealing with certain customers, merchandise, the company itself, etc.). What's his take on all this, I wonder? Wait...was he in on this?!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-28, 15:07

Fox Business has been a fascinating watch the past few mornings. Folks on both sides of the aisle are aligned in supporting the retail investors (the little guys) in their fight against the hedge fund managers who have traditionally used shorts to make money, while arguably injuring the companies they short.

This isn't over.

Y'all dial me into the Discord channel if you're in on it - I might play!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-28, 16:17

I know relatively little about the operation of investment markets as a whole.

But the ability to make tens of millions by betting on the failure of a company has always seemed sketchy to me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-28, 18:10

Seems lawmakers are going to step in and see what they can do about this now.

Not sure how this will ultimately end, but Waters seems to be aiming at the hedge funds.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-28, 18:20

That's comforting. They always fix everything right up, and set things straight! Nothing solves a problem like putting a bunch of politicians on it.

Said no one.

The upside: if Maxine Waters is involved, the chances for laughs and idiotic statements just went up about 77%. So, if nothing else, this will all be entertaining because she's as dopey as they come. $20 says she figures out a way to shoehorn both race and the former Oval Office occupant into it. Just watch.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-28 at 18:31.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-29, 11:45

So true.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-01-30, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's comforting. They always fix everything right up, and set things straight! Nothing solves a problem like putting a bunch of politicians on it.

Said no one.

The upside: if Maxine Waters is involved, the chances for laughs and idiotic statements just went up about 77%. So, if nothing else, this will all be entertaining because she's as dopey as they come. $20 says she figures out a way to shoehorn both race [i]and[/I ] the former Oval Office occupant into it. Just watch.
Have you watched any actual interview of Waters? Because this sort of concept of her seems to have originated in the echo chamber of conservative radio and fox news
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-30, 17:01

Yea, I’ve seen plenty. I don’t listen to that shit, thank you. She’s a dingbat and has said plenty of stupid things. All politicians have/do. Don’t pick and choose, or blindly defend your buddies and heroes.

Nice assumptions. Fuck off.