User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Major problem having it need some help.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Major problem having it need some help.
roninmac08

2008-01-15, 23:20

Hey mac geniuses im not sure if i have a bug in my drive, but when i open most of my applications like safari for one or firefox. The pages tend to stop loading up and when i click my wireless feed the screen starts to shadow, and a message appears saying "Hold down the power button until you get the restart button and restart your system." Im not sure if anyone has came across this problem but i have a few times and just want to know am i occuring a virus problem. OH im using the new leapord software by the way.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-16, 17:01

wireless feed = WiFi?
Does all of your applications not work or is it only the internet-dependent ones?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-01-16, 17:13

I'm guessing (from what I read) that when he enables his wireless access his computer kernel panics and he has to restart.

If you have your wireless off, does your computer work fine?

I have seen instances where the wireless antenna becomes loose, such that if you enable wireless access the computer then crashes.

If you run with wireless off, it runs forever no problem.

You have a make/model for your machine? Which OS version are you running? When did this start etc.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-01-16, 17:14

Is this the image you get before it crashes?

And guys, the post was grammatically almost fine, and if you aren't overly familar with computers it may be hard to describe the problem you having. Keiran, you're reply was just rude to be honest. Someone coming on here doesn't need that kind of attitude.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-16, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I'm guessing (from what I read) that when he enables his wireless access his computer kernel panics and he has to restart.

If you have your wireless off, does your computer work fine?

I have seen instances where the wireless antenna becomes loose, such that if you enable wireless access the computer then crashes.

If you run with wireless off, it runs forever no problem.

You have a make/model for your machine? Which OS version are you running? When did this start etc.
This is exactly what my wife's old iBook G3 did - with AirPort off, it was fine, but as soon as she turned it on, blammo.
roninmac08

2008-01-16, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Is this the image you get before it crashes?

And guys, the post was grammatically almost fine, and if you aren't overly familar with computers it may be hard to describe the problem you having. Keiran, you're reply was just rude to be honest. Someone coming on here doesn't need that kind of attitude.
Exactly!! Thats exactly what shadows in when I click my Wifi shortcut. So i should reformat or us Time Machine. Oh yea would I be able to use external hard drive like a Maxtor or Western Digital. By the way Im running off a MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 2Gb of DDR2 SDRAM, 120GB 5400-rpm hard drive, 15.4 screen, Nividia Geforce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM, etc....Preinstalled Mac OS X: Leapord and other bundled software.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-01-16, 19:25

Read my reply and get back to me.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-01-16, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Luca, that looks almost perfect! I guess I'll have to put my red pen away and get a cloth to clean this mess off my screen - I hope it wasn't a Sharpie!!

Although, are you supposed to have commas immediately before an "and"? I thought not, but my English is pretty shocking.
In this particular situation, my addition of the comma is justified because it separates two independent clauses. The following sentence could have been written as two sentences by replacing ", and" with a period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
When I click on my wireless menu item, the screen starts to shadow, and a message appears saying, "Hold down...
I don't want to say that it's the only right way, though. There are a lot of minor "rules" that are still being debated. I tend to just avoid ambiguous situations in my writing in the first place.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-01-16, 23:56

(Thread pruned of unnecessary bicker.)
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-01-17, 09:09

And the most important post of them all... The one where I asked for roninmac08's system specs!
roninmac08

2008-01-19, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
And the most important post of them all... The one where I asked for roninmac08's system specs!
No thanks, to Gargoyle whom is nothing but a beastly statue, you were the best help ever. I mean where do you get your sarcasm, oh i know from all of the headaches that you've given people. Lots of thanks for the many birds that continuously shat on your unmovable posture. I would be the last to leave a brown stub on your shoulder.