Froggy McFrogface 2 20.00%
Force McFrog 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Page 13 of 16 First Previous 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-21, 19:25

I just hope to get some sort of schedule/lineup soon (maybe by summer). I'd love to know what's coming, and when.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-22, 13:15

This could play very well into the "new Star Wars show" every week where we go from one show to the next to continue the story and keep new contact weekly.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-22, 13:33

You know, I saw a timeline that someone was sharing over the weekend and it looked pretty decent.

I tweeted it for ya...

https://twitter.com/drewprops/status...831266817?s=21

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-22, 16:22

Cool...saga movies on one side, the rest on the other. Makes it easy to see what goes where (like most, I use the nine movies as my reference point for all the rest; I know how they all hit in relation to one another, so anything fitting in among that, I know immediately when it takes place).

Due to this show, I'm finding that period following ROTJ interesting because, as I spoke about upthread, you're realizing that the whole Endor battle (and the loss of Palpatine and Vader) was merely a victory, but not the one. Makes it a little easier to see where the First Order came from, if the Empire, as we know it, never truly went away.

That 10-15 year period after ROTJ, in which The Mandalorian and at least three of these upcoming new shows are set, provides a good setting...it's close enough to the people and events of the OT to appeal to folks like me, but then you expand on what actually happened in those years that came after and how a lot of things never really changed. The Empire are still being oppressive brutes throughout the galaxy, there are still people out there like Luke and Ahsoka who aren't gonna put up with it, and then people like Din, Boba, Fennec, etc. who are caught in the middle of it all, etc. And then there's my ship-stealing sweetie-pie, jet-packing around, being a hard-case about everything and wanting to fight everybody...

Lots of good story potential here with this bunch.

Between the prequels, the animated stuff and those two standalone movies, that period between episodes 1-4 has been thoroughly explored (and will be even more so, with the upcoming Kenobi and Andor shows). But I'm realizing I'm kinda interested in that stretch after episode 6 because that's not really been done before via animation or live action (aside from the sequels, but that's 30+ years ABY). A long time. The decade or so after Endor looks to be an interesting period, at least in the way this show presents it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-22, 17:07

Too bad Mark Hamill is so old. Luke and Ahsoka would make for a badass Jedi team, and that they are running around in the same timeline could make for some interesting fare.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-22, 17:24

Yeah, that crossed my mind a few times.

That's the one thing about animated stuff I like...you could do such a thing in that Clone Wars style, without having to worry about de-aging or wobbly CGI work. Just draw post-ROTJ Luke, along with the Rosario-cized Ahsoka and you're off and running.

Hmmm...maybe someone from Disney is reading this?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-22, 17:51

Oh, you bet they are. The world's foremost Star Wars experts hang out in this room.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-22, 17:59

The wordiest one, anyway...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-22, 18:35

Yeah, but that's what we love about you, Paul. You're a man who cannot survive on Twitter.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-22, 22:51

Someone deep faked the deep fake Hamill.

This is pretty good given they used a crappy model to start with. The application of deep faking seems like it would have been better than what was originally released and likely would be able to be done cheaper. Pretty wild if you asked me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-22, 22:54

I saw that. It’s dramatically better than what aired. It looks just like Luke. That is weird! There’s no way the person who did that had more time or budget than the show, so I don’t know how to explain that.

Someone - maybe the same person - did the same with Leia at the of Rogue One and it actually looked like the character/1977 Carrie Fisher way more than what the movie used.

Again, Disney/Lucasfilm - and the time and resources they had - were bested by some schmo on YouTube? Weird.

EDIT: Here it is, and it is the same person/channel.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-22 at 23:11.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-22, 23:40

Want to find out if you've read the story alleging that Pedro was removed from set for "reasons", implying something nefarious has happened. It's too early to know if it has any fire to it, so I don't want to be rumor-mongering – but it's a story.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-22, 23:44

He denied it all. The people pushing it the hardest, a few seem to be known pot-stirrers/rumor hounds who are constantly, multiple times a day, posting outlandish “leaks” and scoops with clickbait-y headlines/thumbnails on YouTube (Mike Zeroh, Grace Randolph, etc.).

Unless something new has arisen - legit or otherwise - it was alleged he was being “difficult” on set. But there’s diva/Mariah Carey “difficult” (“this isn’t the mineral water and truffles I demanded!”) and then there’s “this scene isn’t working, I have some ideas...”. difficult (and all points in between).

Who knows...

I’d need to hear concrete details/facts from reputable sources, and I’ve yet to, so...

I’d like to think he appreciates his gig and isn’t looking to be the 2020/2021 version of David Caruso.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-23, 12:04

All I know is that deepfake is scary. I wonder how many people are going to be framed and go to prison?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-23, 14:08

Video evidence will simply become easier to dispute - it's an astonishing time we live in when we can all define what "reality" is... that level of control is not just for powerful rulers anymore!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-23, 14:20

Seriously, it hadn't been four full days since that season finale hit, and someone on YouTube came up with a far better, more convincing Luke in that span of time!

How do they do it in such a short time, and Disney/Lucasfilm didn't when they had months (and a much larger budget)?!

That's what I'm finding so astonishing. The one on the right looks like Mark Hamill/Luke Skywalker. You think what you saw in the show was pretty solid (a little soft/wonky at times) until you see it next to one done so much better...the mouth, face in general, etc. Just like the Leia/Rogue One thing (although that Leia never looked remotely convincing to me; it looked okay for a random person, but it just didn't look how Carrie Fisher looked in 1977, in that role. If it weren't for the gown and hair buns, I wouldn't have known that was supposed to be Princess Leia...it didn't really look like her. She looked like Gwyneth Paltrow or somebody.

I'd love to hear that discussed/answered some time.

"Jon, everyone is loving the show...but can you explain how a random YouTuber's post-ROTJ Luke looked significantly better than the one you guys put into the episode?"

He's had to have seen it himself by now, right?

Hire that guy and put him in charge of any de-aging scenes. He seems to have a solid handle on it all!

Yeah, freaky stuff. It's getting to where I can't trust a celebrity titty pic any more.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-23, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, freaky stuff. It's getting to where I can't trust a celebrity titty pic any more.
Wait, what? You trusted those things?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-23, 21:02

I made a simple little graphic timeline for all the live action SW releases (OT, prequels, sequels, standalone and Disney+). No animation, comics, etc.

It seems Dropbox no longer makes posting images here easy and I can't remember my Imgur login stuff. If someone has a quick, easy way to post an image, PM me your email and I'll send you the graphic. It's nothing fancy - similar to what Drew posted above - but I kinda color-coded it and unified all the type (no logos), so it might be a little easy/cleaner to read?

Anyway, I'll email it to the first person who PMs me with their email and you can share it here.

Or am I able to directly upload/post here and bypass a hosting service? Some message boards do that, I think.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-12-24, 03:24

(from pscates2.0)

I like it!

Those gaps and the crowding together of episodes 7 and 8 really become apparent here.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-24, 03:33

Thanks, Brad!

I sent that graphic to my sister and a couple of others who love the show but were completely lost on the setting and how it related to the other movies, upcoming shows, etc. They were always asking me about it.

“Lemme draw you a map...”.

Limiting it to just the live action output, which is all they’re really following, keeps it simple.

Yeah, that wide-open, 20-year gap from 10 ABY to 30 ABY might be something explored at some point. Definitely the rise of the First Order, the whole “Luke walking away from it all” situation. Rey would’ve been born somewhere in that span, the Snoke/Palpatine stuff (with possible ties to the Grogu blood/experiments), etc.

I’m just not sure how enthusiastic/willing they are to start down that path at this point? If, 5-10 years from now, those sequel entries are still sitting out there all by themselves, ~25 years removed from everything else, that’s gonna be interesting to see, and it could say a lot about how even Disney/Lucasfilm themselves view that part of the saga.

Minus that one 10-year gap between Episodes 1 and 2 (where Jake Lloyd turned into Hayden Christensen and Obi-Wan grew a mullet), the rest of the stuff all takes place in that 31-year stretch from 22 BBY (Attack of the Clones) and 9 ABY (The Mandalorian, etc.).

That 25-year period between the current show and The Force Awakens will either get explored...or ignored.

We’ll see in time.

But it’s telling that most (all?) of the projects announced a few weeks ago, to my knowledge, take place in The Mandalorian timeline, or before. Maybe one of those animated ones is an exception, I don’t know.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-24 at 04:38.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-12-24, 11:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjvNnxRrfEA
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-24, 14:29

He's not wrong.

There is a formula/pattern to the show, for sure. But it works, so I'm not squawking too much. But, sure enough, I've never seen a TV character get more sidetracked/detoured in my life. Nothing's just ever straightforward/easy.

I'm looking for the upcoming season 3 episode, "The Plan" (as in "everything goes according to it, for once"). He flies from planet A to planet B, nobody double-crosses him, he doesn't have to take out a warlord or gangster who's terrorizing farmers and he just walks into a bar and has a drink without having to kill half the joint to do so. It'll be about eight minutes long, but possibly one of the more satisfying installments!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-25, 17:19

Oh crap, I forgot that behind-the-scenes/making of thing hit today! Off to watch it now...

UPDATE: Okay, you guys need to watch this! It'll only make you appreciate the show more. We all know Favreau and Filoni are the ones to be there, but you come away with a new appreciation for Bryce Dallas Howard and Robert Rodriguez. They "get it" as well, and when they talk you can tell they're true fans. And the actors and crew seem so happy/proud to be part of something like this.

Be sure to note Rodriguez' backyard animatic he did for his idea to re-introduce armored Boba Fett to the world...he used his two sons in costume, action figures and cheap, onscreen/drawn blaster bolts to convey his idea and it's awesome how much of it translated over to the final sequence!

Very cool.

And that circular virtual set thing is so cool!

It was 65 minutes and they labeled it as "Season 2: Episode 1", so I don't know if other things will come weekly for a while, covering different aspects of it (sound, actors, stunts, CGI, vehicles, etc.)? But I'm in, regardless. I'll check every Friday to see if there are more installments.

The behind-the-scenes footage is great, seeing such good, clear and well-lit shots of Ahsoka/Rosario Dawson (he makeup being applied, and rehearing her fighting moves). Interviews with Carl Weathers and Gina Carano as well. And Katee Sackhoff looks to be a bit of a goofball/gigglebox, which is such a sharp contrast to the character she plays, so that was cool/funny to see as well.

Good stuff!

This show, and Star Wars in general, is in the right hands, from all I'm seeing. And this little behind-the-scenes doc only drives that home further.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-25 at 19:25.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-29, 16:18

Oh no...just when things were kinda starting to settle down and get peaceful again...

Have y'all heard about that Lucasfilm exec (Pablo Hidalgo) supposedly mocking a YouTuber for his "emotional" reaction to a certain character's appearance last Friday? Now it's turned into a bit thing with folks lined up on both sides and firing shots. And it's gotten into cancer recovery, Tweets, people being unfollowed (the horror), another round of mockery/drama, etc.

Here's the basic overview of it all.

Personally, I think people, in general, should grow a thicker skin. But I also think it's too easy to be a mouthy asshole and talk to others/say things online (especially if hidden, or under a false name) than you'd ever do in real life (the possibility of a well-placed punch in the teeth is always a good humbler). Both sides here probably need to step back and chill. But the Lucasfilm guy is coming across like a bit more of an a-hole because it's his company and he should be proud they're (finally) putting out content that elicits such reaction/response.

It isn't like anyone cried at the sequels (not happy tears, anyway).

He does come across a bit tone-deaf and dick-ish, to be that way toward a fan.

Still, if you're gonna put yourself out there on YouTube and the rest, blubbering and carrying on for all the world to see, not everyone's going to think it's cool/sweet. So toughen up, neckbeards. If you're choosing to put yourself out there via "reaction" vids (or selfies, dancing clips, craft/DIY tutorials, guitar covers, etc.) then you gotta take the good with the bad. Just like all those 400lb. women posting bikini/lingerie pics all over social media...not everyone is going to think you're "sexy" and "brave". Some are gonna throw up in their mouths a little and make less-than-supportive comments. Sorry, but that's just true.

None of us are guaranteed the reaction/response we want.

That's not how life works. And if you're old enough to purchase a smartphone and video equipment, maintain social media accounts, etc. then you should've already learned this some time ago. You can't be selectively clueless/ignorant, when it works in your favor.

The world isn't obligated to GAF about your Feelings™, so maybe put a little thought into what you share and put out there. That's just common sense, isn't it?

And if you're a high-ranking exec at some entertainment company, maybe realize its the fans and "little people" who are the reason you have such a cool gig, so don't be in a rush to be a mocking, condescending prick to those who make your career possible.

Nothing like shitting all over two solid months of built-up goodwill, Lucasfilm. Nice move!

And seeing how we're square in the middle of Cancel-Mania 2020, that Hidalgo guy might wind up updating his resumé sooner than he ever imagined. I can see Lucasfilm, not wanting to seem as though they're siding with an "internet bully" give him the heave-ho for PR reasons. Unfortunate.

If so, chalk up another powerful type brought down because they couldn't keep their mouth shut on Twitter/social media. Amazing. What a stupid, easily-avoided way for some to be losing their nice, lucrative jobs. I wouldn't have a Twitter account if I were rich/famous for all the...well, fill in your own metaphor. I'd hate to get accused of something.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-29 at 16:32.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-13, 21:31

I's having the withdrawalses...

Damn, December sure is a long way away.

I keep thinking about all the unresolved stuff from Chapter 16 - Gideon still alive, how Grogu's blood was used, that tension between Din and my girlfriend about the ownership of the dark saber (and the thumb-wrestling match that could ensue), etc. - and I hope, as has been the case with Better Call Saul, not so much time passes that I eventually forget or lose interest and have to build myself back up to give-a-damn status once again.

TV is just so different now than when I was a kid...a show's season was 8-9 months - and a solid 22-26 new episodes throughout the fall, winter and spring - then reruns in the summer, and, before you knew it, all-new Starsky & Hutch come September. The downtime was always far, far less than the uptime and the most you waited for 3-4 months (when you were outside playing kickball and building bike-jumping ramps from sun-up to sun-down anyway, so you never cared).

Now, with these streaming or premium cable shows, it's 6-10 episodes a "season", then 10-16 months off and sometimes with no solid word or guarantee, for long stretches, that there even will be a new season.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-14, 13:28

Me too! My kids and I were talking about this show and how bored we are having to go back through old Mythbusters and Pokemon episodes. I really should be watching the animated Star Wars shows though so I can get caught up in the whole universe though. I might start doing that instead.

I'm with you on the show distribution via the streaming services. I still watch network shows and was annoyed when the pandemic hit and I had a huge gulf from the season finales and new season due to production stopping. Streaming did make it more consistent feeling though. I was used to long breaks between "seasons".

Nowadays the shows are more like movies with 10+ week long intermissions. Everything is serialized and less standalone. That also plays in heavily.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-01-14, 18:37

I started watching Clone Wars a few weeks ago and plowed through a lot, but needed to take a break. I figured I could probably get through them all before the next Mandalorain season comes out.

There are a lot of them though.....

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-14, 18:43

Yeah, I’ve slowed down as well. Plenty of time. I think the Disney.+ SW thing will be quiet for much of 2021 (unless that Andor show hits. It’s been in production a while. Kenobi is supposed to start next month, last I heard.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-02-08, 10:16

*bumpity-bump-bump*

Watching clips, etc. over the weekend.

Has anyone figured out, or heard/read anything, over these past several months that explained (or talked about) what, exactly, Boba Fett was waiting on, re: his armor?

We saw in “The Tragedy” what the man could do to 8-10 armed stormtroopers with just a stick (before he reacquired his armor/weapons from the Razor Crest).

What kept him, had it come to it, from doing that to that Mos Pelgo marshal? He appeared to just sit back and observe another man wearing his armor for at least a few years(!), only pursuing it once Din had it and left Tatooine. Sure that marshal was less of a risk to deal with than Mando?

Was he waiting until the armor was removed because he knew the Marshal would be a tough foe wearing it? Or was it some sort of “I have to re-take my armor from another Mandalorian” code/honor thing?

Because he traveled a really long way to do so when he could’ve beaten Cobb Vanth senseless with a stick and gotten it back much earlier.

That’s the biggest thing in season 2 that kinda still sticks out at me. Now that this Boba show/stand-alone movie(?) is coming in December, I hope that’s answered.

If he was willing to go toe-to-to with Mando on a faraway planet over it, he could’ve had a much easier go with the Marshal on Tatooine. There has to be some interesting reason why he waited so long when he knew who had it, and was obviously observing everything from afar.

I’m glad all these shows are getting future installments. I assume at least one episode of the Boba show will center on his escape from the pit and exactly how the Jawas ended up with his gear.

Because my earlier theory, months ago, about how the experience changed him and he walked away from his rowdy, violent ways didn’t pan out worth a shit. He’s a holy terror and a raging hard-case, now more than ever.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2021-02-08, 21:17

They mentioned in the episode how isolated Mos Pelgo is. I think they thought it had been destroyed by bandits or something? I could see Boba Fett not looking there because he didn't know there was anyone living there, then seeing Mando with the armor once he got back into a more populated area.