AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Michael Dell is speaking...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Michael Dell is speaking...
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-02, 16:31

Tomorrow Michael Dell is speaking in the Cybertorium at Penn State, and all IST students are encouraged to attend. I have a ticket reserved, but I don't know if its worth it to go.

He's sort of a two-bit salesman that got lucky, and he's not an innovator more than an automechanic is. He takes cheap parts, puts them together and makes cheap computers. Then he advertises a lot, that's basically Dell, in a NUTshell.

So should I go? And if do go, I may have the chance to ask a question.

What could I ask him that would sort of back him into a tough spot? I dont want to come off as arrogant or as an asshole, but somehow ask a question that would make him squirm...what do I ask?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-02, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
What could I ask him that would sort of back him into a tough spot? I dont want to come off as arrogant or as an asshole
Yeah, you better have someone else write your question then.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-02, 16:57

I see...I see, wait my crystal ball is coming into focus...hang on...

I see a scuffle of some sort. And cursing. And some sort of detainment, involving campus security. And a really long thread at AppleNova, recounting the incident, where everyone spends 6-9 pages confirming what a dipwad you were for doing such a thing, adding to your growing "legend".

On about page 16 of the thread, you'll cop to the fact that maybe you didn't behave in the most rational manner.

Honestly, I say this as a fellow Mac user and AppleNova member: stay the fuck home and away from this little speaking engagement. Please. Taking into account recent history at two Mac forums involving you (and your various alter egos), I don't see anything good or positive coming from this. I simply have no faith that you'd pull off anything as suave and cool as you might be planning.

It just won't be good for anyone. You know it, I know it, the whole damn board here knows it.

You'll thank me...

And if you DO go, and you DO ask a "squirm-inducing" question and something bad/weird happens, everyone here is going to pile on you like Jenna Jameson at a rugby game.

You've been warned. Heed it.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-02, 17:27

LOL.

I was just going to ask something like, "What does Dell bring to the market place that nobody else does?"
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-09-02, 17:28

you guys are ruff. i suggest you go, and throw peanut brittle at him.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-02, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
you guys are ruff. i suggest you go, and throw peanut brittle at him.
Or yell, "Glom it on the back!" As they drag me out I'll be screaming, "Dell sucks, Mike's got no dick!"

Is that what you were expecting pscates?

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-09-02, 17:50

Why are you a douche bag?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-09-02, 17:50

Messiah - Don't get viscious if you have a chance to ask a question. With a straight face and no mocking ask him why the Dell DJ failed in uprooting the iPod as the portable music player of choice. In this head to head arena Dell got their asses handed to them by Apple and i'm sure plenty of people would love to hear their excuses.

omgwtfbbq
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-02, 17:57

And with my 1000th post... on the verge of title-modifying eternal goodness, I say unto you:

Ask Michael Dell why their ads promote an image of customer-friendly sales reps, when in fact virtually every sales wonk on staff there is incredibly aggressive, frequently trying to sell you things you don't need.

(Probably because Dell won't pay them squat unless they make huge margins every month... so it pays to be pushy, especially with people who don't know their stuff.)

...into the light of a dark black night.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-02, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
Messiah - Don't get viscious if you have a chance to ask a question. With a straight face and no mocking ask him why the Dell DJ failed in uprooting the iPod as the portable music player of choice. In this head to head arena Dell got their asses handed to them by Apple and i'm sure plenty of people would love to hear their excuses.
I wont get viscious, but that's a hilarious question to ask.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-09-02, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
viscious
Not sure what this means, but is it something like a jar of honey in a state of drug-induced psychosis?
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-09-02, 19:33

dude, don't you have spell check on in your browser?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-09-02, 19:40

Truthfully, Chris...if you can ask a reasonable question that truly has some relevance and all, without coming across the way you did in the thread starting post, then go for it.

But you seemed to be gearing up for a Stuttering John tribute, and that just gave me chills...

LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-02, 19:47

In defense of Dell, they run a business, and in running that business they have been incredibly successful. You can attribute that to Michael Dell and the Lieutenants in that company. The man isn't an idiot, and he's speaking up on that stage because he's good at what he does, and like it or not, he is quite qualified to speak on the topic of Technology and the computer industry.

I'm just saying there is something to learn from the guy, since all any Apple fanatic wants to do is bash and hate anything that runs windows. It's even worse than the Linux/Opensource crowd...

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-09-02, 19:56

I should qualify my earlier statement a bit by saying that all of the sales reps I've dealt with on behalf of family members who needed support for machines they had already (and in some cases recently) bought, were very aggressive. And of course others have made similar comments to me.

Why sales people? In most cases, trying to figure out what brand / type of component the computer shipped with, in order to make upgrade decisions / software buying decisions, etc. That, and when you call their support line and ask these kinds of questions, they are told to transfer you to the sales people. Devious, but it works obviously.

But the guy is hugely successful and he did find a good formula. Dell is not an innovative company; anyone who argues they are isn't really paying attention to what makes them tick. The only PC computer company that might be an innovator is Sony. They at least delve into the realm of creating things and involve themselves in the digital media world, etc.

HP would qualify except that it's not their computers that are innovative but rather other stuff that they make like printers and scanners.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-09-02, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
In defense of Dell, they run a business, and in running that business they have been incredibly successful. You can attribute that to Michael Dell and the Lieutenants in that company. The man isn't an idiot, and he's speaking up on that stage because he's good at what he does, and like it or not, he is quite qualified to speak on the topic of Technology and the computer industry.

I'm just saying there is something to learn from the guy, since all any Apple fanatic wants to do is bash and hate anything that runs windows. It's even worse than the Linux/Opensource crowd...
What Apple has to learn from Dell is that it is OK to have, as a goal, to sell lots and lots of computers. Honestly, sometimes I think that Apple forgets this goal.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-02, 21:57

I don't want to applaud Dell in any way. They don't innovate, that's my main problem with them. They are just the white-powdered donuts, to Apple's fine dining.

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-09-02, 22:16

Quote:
I don't want to applaud Dell in any way. They don't innovate, that's my main problem with them. They are just the white-powdered donuts, to Apple's fine dining.
That's fine. If you don't think you'll get anything worthwhile out of the experience, don't go. I agree with LoCash's opinion.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-09-02, 22:22

Ask him he thinks a company with pathetic market share like Apple could benefit from adopting Dell's marketing and distribution models. Ask him if he'll kindly invest a bit of R&D and release an OS X compatible Dell just to piss Steve Jobs off. I for one would love to see that happen.

Or ask him why he's such a homo.

Whichever.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-09-02, 22:22

I'd be perfectly happy to own a company like Dell. They are a business, they don't exist to be your friend, or invent new things, they exist to make money...and they do it well. Apple, is exceptional in what it does. While it is also a business set up to make money, I think it needs to innovate to make money.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-02, 22:26

Quote:
Ok, but many people really like white powdered donuts, and a lot of people can't afford or just don't care for exquisitely fine dining. And Dell may not innovate a lot technologically, but since when do we shit on companies for not innovating technologically? Let's be honest here, we're shitting on Dell because they are a wildly successful company selling hardware that primarily runs Windows, and they sell a lot more units than Apple.

And while Dell may not innovate technologically, they innovate in their own way. They have innovated in the way they, and other companies, do business. Dell is successful largely because of the business strategy and tactics they have employed, and Apple has been incredibly open about being inspired by, and attempting to mimic, those innovations that Dell has spurred.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-09-02, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
Or ask him why he's such a homo.
dude, u gotst to ask that. make like ur gonna ask him a serious question, then just go "so, mikey. why u such a fag?" it'll be grate.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-09-02, 23:19

Quote:
Ok, but many people really like white powdered donuts, and a lot of people can't afford or just don't care for exquisitely fine dining. And Dell may not innovate a lot technologically, but since when do we shit on companies for not innovating technologically? Let's be honest here, we're shitting on Dell because they are a wildly successful company selling hardware that primarily runs Windows, and they sell a lot more units than Apple.

And while Dell may not innovate technologically, they innovate in their own way. They have innovated in the way they, and other companies, do business. Dell is successful largely because of the business strategy and tactics they have employed, and Apple has been incredibly open about being inspired by, and attempting to mimic, those innovations that Dell has spurred.
Oh my god stop putting words in my mouth.

People may like those white-powdered donuts, but they are bad for them. Sure, some people choose not to care, and eat them anyway, some people don't EVEN THINK ABOUT IT AND BUY THEM BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY OPTION THEY KNOW OF AND HAVE BEEN TOLD ABOUT. That's Dell, and that's why I do not like them.

They act as if they have something unique to sell, when it is no different than anyone else's box, it is just a shitty box that runs a shitty OS. It's not a real solution and it is something that doesnt even truly work. Things go down, break, or go wrong. That's not the way things should be, but they're successful in spite of selling shit. It does irk me, I admit it.

The unashamed Mac user, Messiahtosh, signing off.

LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-02, 23:39

Your arguments eerily seem to mimic those of Christian Fundamentalists, and I find that terribly frightening.

You act as if everyone using Windows should be using a Mac because the mac is just better, and Windows, like the white powdered donuts, are bad for them. You may be surprised to hear that Windows actually works quite well for a lot of people in a lot of environments. I understand the CAD and 3D industries love Windows and find that it works quite well for them.

Your argument basically consists of you believing that you have discovered something vastly superior to what others have chosen to buy, and that everybody should therefore be using this product you have found and preach for. It's exactly like some religious zealot coming up to me and telling me they've found God, and that I really need to come with them to Church so that I can be assured of a spot in heaven.

Did you ever consider that maybe people actually like Windows? Did you ever consider that maybe people have used a Mac and just didn't enjoy the experience? I know, I know... why would somebody turn down the fine dining experience that is Apple? I'll tell you why, it's because we possess free will, and without free will we compromise the very essence of our humanity. Your argument serves to strip people of that free will be saying that Dell is evil because they are very good at selling the spawn of satan's computers to the masses.

Sometimes, I just don't even know where to begin with you, but I do anyway...

sunrain
Veteran Member

2004-09-02, 23:56

Quote:
Mmmm...doughnuts.

(EDIT: I am not high. Yet.)
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-09-03, 00:48

Dell is one of the most innovative companies in the market. Unfortunately the innovation is not in their computers but in thier supply chain and removing inefficiencies. If only Apple could be anywhere near as good, but the nature of riding the wave of new technologies makes this difficult to achieve.

And yeah, ask him why he's a fag!

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-09-03, 00:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
dude, u gotst to ask that. make like ur gonna ask him a serious question, then just go "so, mikey. why u such a fag?" it'll be grate.
i got it i got it.

"In an industry where companies like Apple are praised for their ability to innovate, why do you crave the cock?"
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-09-03, 02:20

I haven't read up on Dell (the company) lately; but my understanding is that what Michael Dell perfected is the fact that they can operate at peak efficiency with something like only two days worth of parts-inventory on the shelves.

That they determine what a person or a company needs their computer(s) to do, and that's exactly what Dell builds for them....*and* at a very low price, because they don't waste a lot of money stocking unneeded parts.

If all the rest of American companies, and the federal government, and the branches of our military, could run as efficiently as Dell, we - the consumer/ taxpayer - would save billions and billions of dollars every year...or rather, billions of our hard-earned money wouldn't be 'wasted' every year, the way it is now, from all the criminal inefficiencies.

Michael Dell picked 'one' thing to do, and chose to do it very well. What more can you ask of a person in their professional life? Think about it.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-03, 02:57

But Michael Dell chose to do that with an incredibly inferior product that causes unneeded pain and suffering to its users! Nobody in good faith could run a company that so well supplies consumers with such a product as Windows!

Hallelujah, Apple! Hallelujah!

Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-09-03, 03:22

Quote:
But Michael Dell chose to do that with an incredibly inferior product that causes unneeded pain and suffering to its users! Nobody in good faith could run a company that so well supplies consumers with such a product as Windows!

Hallelujah, Apple! Hallelujah!

Dell is nothing if not a realist. He played the hand dealt him by the circumstances of technology in a certain time and place.

I had no idea he was gay, if he is; but I don't see that that has any bearing on the issue. If anything, that would make his success even more notable, for his having had (presumably) extra social hurdles with which to contend. After all, he *is* (eek!) in Texas, isn't he?

All the newest libraries I have visited in my city are crammed with Dells. When the TSA (Transportation Security Agency) went from city to city last year recruiting, interviewing and testing people for all those airport security positions, they traveled with hundred and hundreds of Dells, all bought by the federal govt. exactly for that purpose, probably with very short notice.

I've used a lot of Dells. For many people who have relatively simple computer needs, Dells work just fine. At least, that was my experience.

I own a 12" Powerbook, and am a devoted Apple fan, of course. I would never give up my beautiful baby. But when I was using all those Dells, I got used to them, and they were fine for my simple purposes. As time progresses, my needs will grow in complexity, which is why I bought my PB... planning for the future.

Last edited by Windswept : 2004-09-03 at 13:36.