Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

New iPod or Price Cut?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iPod or Price Cut?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Vjsz

2005-01-03, 10:31

Well, I just sold my good old 3g 15 gb Ipod last week.Yesterday i was one click away of a 40gb Ipod Photo.But then i began wondering what were the chances that a new Ipod were introduce at macexpo, like a video ipod .
Or maybe a Price cut..
What do u think guys..it is possible for this to happen?
VJS
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-03, 10:52

No, and hell no.

1. The iPods just seemed to have been updated, a couple of months ago. I'm guessing the full-size white models are pretty well set right now. If anything happens at MWSF regarding iPods, it'll be a bump to the minis and the introduction of this much-talked-about flash-based iPod (which I'm not even 100% sure on).

2. Steve was very clear and adamant - and he was totally right - about the uselessness of a video iPod at this particular point.

The content - unlike with music and photos - just isn't there. Everyone owns CDs and can buy from the iTMS. And more and more people are getting digital cameras. That's why the iPod makes sense. I'm guessing they did their research and determined that there aren't nearly as many camcorder-owning iMovie users as there are camera-owning iPhoto users.

If Apple released a video iPod right now - with no video/movie-based version of the iTMS and no legal/ethical way to reproduce the content from rented or purchased commercial titles - they'd pretty much be saying, in a roundabout way, "hey, go download stuff illegally online...or dupe commercial DVDs!"

This from the company that puts a "Don't steal music" sticker on the screen of each new iPod? They can't do that, as a legit, mainstream company.

As for a price-cut, I don't imagine that either. It's not like they're having trouble moving their iPods. They could raise them $50 and people would probably still buy them (I'm not advocating or suggesting that, mind you). They're all sitting at the "99" marks (which makes me hope any new Flash iPod somehow gets to $99 AND the iPod mini drops to $199). Then you'd have a kick-ass range - all $100 apart and easy to figure out: $99 flash to $599 60GB photo, and four models in between, in $100 increments: mini, 20GB, 40GB, 40GB photo.

I'd be happy with that...a flash-based player at $99 and a $50 drop on the mini.

But it should go without saying at this point: you never can tell, and there's always the possibility of some wild-ass surprise, totally out of left field that no one knew was coming (the eMac, iBook G4 and AirPort Express spring to mind), so the rule of thumb (followed by most) is not to buy anything major this close to a Macworld Expo keynote, unless you just really, really had to and needed it. Sure, buy a USB cable, or a pack of DVD-R disks, maybe? Or some iPod socks. But certainly nothing bigger than that. You'd be insane, this close to the event.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-01-03 at 11:00.
Wraven

2005-01-03, 10:52

Vjsz, welcome to AppleNova!

It is POSSIBLE, but highly unlikely that anything will happen with the iPod line, other than an iPod flash (but I still have some doubts on that one). The iPod photo was just introduced a few months ago (September or October). BUT - wait until after the MWSF KeyNote to make your purchase just to be safe.

Cheers,
Wraven
DrGruv

2005-01-03, 10:58

I would guess yes to the price cut - to further solidify their position. Macrumors buyers guide:

Product:
iPod

Last Release:
July 19, 2004

Days Since Update:
168 (Average = 167)

Recommendation:
Don't Buy - Updates soon

Special Notes:
none.

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...
Vjsz

2005-01-03, 11:06

Thanks for the Welcome Wraven,
Well Based on all these i guess i will have to wait 8 days to see what happen...Its really odd being with out my Ipod..I had then since they come out..1 of the first ones, then a 10gb , a 15gb...and now i was thinking in the Photo one...But i will waut and see what happen.
VJS
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-03, 11:06

I considered that, the 20GB and 40GB white click-wheel iPods are a good six months old. But you know what? I'm also thinking that they're serving two capacity/price ranges really well. I don't buy into the "bump the iPod, just because we can" thinking.

20GB is a healthy amount, probably more than the average person has. Then you've got the 40GB (and the 40GB and 60GB photo models, if you're a true music hound) if 20GB just doesn't cut it.

It won't bother me if the white iPods stayed at 20 and 40GB until summer. They don't seem to have a problem selling, at their current price/capacity.

If the rumors pan out, there will be a new low-end model for ultra-casual listeners (flashPod), and all the solid talk is that the mini is getting bumped to 5GB (250 more songs, for a total of 1,250...plenty for the casual/intermediate user).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-01-03, 17:10

The iPods may traditionally get a mid-generation hard drive bump but I don't think that is necessary this year - we sorta got the iPod photo instead. The only additions to the iPod front this MWSF would be...

A 60GB iPod at $499 - I hope Apple does this...they probably won't, but it'd be smart
A 20GB iPod photo at $399 - If the iPp line isn't exactly taking off (is it?)
The rumored "iPod micro" - seeming less and less likely
The Generation 2 iPod mini - 5GB/$199/new colors - but does Apple need to upgrade it?

With the Generation 5 iPod (which I'm betting will have color screens standard as the big improvement) we may see increased capacity, but I really don't think until then.

And certainly no iPod video until Apple introduces an iLife Movie Store or something.

Just my thoughts...
porter

2005-01-03, 17:43

Business-wise, it doesn't make sense to cut the price of iPods because they are doing just fine. But this is Apple, and who the hell knows what they will spring on us in Macworld. So I'm telling people I know to just wait until Jobs makes his speech. Better safe than sorry. Besides, he makes his speech on the 11th, so it's not that bad of a wait.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-03, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
The [video] content - unlike with music and photos - just isn't there.
Not only that, but the storage & delivery of all that data isn't there, either. I wouldn't want to bother with keeping digital copies of my DVDs in a noticeably low-quality format, so I'd want several hundred gigs of hard drive space to make video worthwhile. Plus, when I can transfer all that video stuff as quickly as I do with iTunes today, it might be viable.

Until then, I wouldn't want a portable video jukebox. Sorry.
adam_tj

2005-01-03, 18:36

My iDea-

Jan 05'-Apple renames iTunes to 'iMedia' and shows off it's new movie-selling capability. Movies sell for 4.99 apiece. The iPod Photo gets a firmware update to allow movie playing.
Other MWSF Announcements-
iPod Flash
iPhone
iMac mini
iWork
iLife 05'
G5 3gHz
Mar 05'-Tiger introduced

June 05'-eMac Dropped, Powerbooks go G5, iPod gets Bluetooth

Oct.05'-G5 iBooks, 1 barebones iBook left G4 as the notebook version of iMac Mini

Dec. 05'-TabletMac introduced, iPod gets AirPort
---------------
Jan 06'-G5 @ 4gHz, AirFire connectivity put into Powerbook and G5(wireless firewire), iLife 06', and more.....
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-03, 18:42

AirFire? Nah... call it Napalm!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-03, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_tj
My iDea-

Jan 05'-Apple renames iTunes to 'iMedia' and shows off it's new movie-selling capability. Movies sell for 4.99 apiece. The iPod Photo gets a firmware update to allow movie playing.
Other MWSF Announcements-
iPod Flash
iPhone
iMac mini
iWork
iLife 05'
G5 3gHz
Mar 05'-Tiger introduced
A bit overly-optimistic (and crack-induced) there, dont'cha think?

Jeez...have you ever known a Macworld Expo keynote to be that jam-packed? If all eight of those things (especially the two particularly wild-ass ones) occur, a $100 iTMS certificate will be heading your way on January 12.

The movie thing? Wouldn't we have heard rumblings about this by now? From somewhere? That would simply be too big a secret to keep, involving too many people and too many companies. Word would've leaked at some point in 2004. A movie version of the standard-setting iTMS? Something like that doesn't stay a secret.

I'm totally with you on iWork, iLife 05 and a Tiger announcement. Totally reasonable and realistic with - in the case of iLife and iWork - detailed reporting by a site with a great track record. And announcing a shipping date for Tiger - even if months away - has been done with previous OS X versions, right? Gives everyone something to look forward to, AND is a bit of a poke in the eye to Microsoft and their Longhorn progress (which I don't even think exists, truth be told )

I'm on the fence on the iMac mini/$499 headless thing. I so want to believe, I do, but I just don't know. Same goes for the iPodflash (flashPod).

I don't think the 3GHz G5 or the iPhone stands a chance. I think the G5 WILL hit 3GHz, but later in 2005...probably about December 22.

¡Damned!

2005-01-03, 18:52

Honestly, I can't see Apple rebranding iTunes to include a separate movie store. I'm betting on a stand-alone app...probably mp4 based.

While I'm in the betting mood: iPod Video Q2/3. S-Video out. No backwards compatibility with previous iPod models. Why? Seriously, how many teevees nowadays have FW/iLink input? A few, but not as many as we'd all like. S-Video is the ease-of-use standard.

iPod flash: 2 models. One with screen, one without. Screened version eventually takes over the mini slot completely at 5GB. micro version (sans screen) stays between 1-2 GB. New handheld Belkin controller introduced within a month.

So there.

So it goes.
adam_tj

2005-01-03, 18:53

the iPhone could turn out to be a Motorola phone with an updated version of the Symbian OS that supports iTunes. It doesnt have to be by Apple

Also, Apple may see the need for a 3 gHz G5. Tiger would look great on 3gHz. (though i also doubt it, it is fun to dream.)
adam_tj

2005-01-03, 19:26

709, couldnt Apple release a firmware update that allows the headphone jack to output video, kinda like on digital cameras?

Heck, you could do that for all the iPods.

Last edited by adam_tj : 2005-01-03 at 19:49.
Jay

2005-01-03, 20:13

Quote:
709, couldnt Apple release a firmware update that allows the headphone jack to output video, kinda like on digital cameras?

Heck, you could do that for all the iPods.
No. The iPod Photo might be able to pull it off but I'm not sure exactly how it is hooked up. But the typical headphone jack has 2 sectors (for lack of a better term) that is separated by an insulator for stereo head phones, one for right and left channels. Video ones have 3 "sectors" for left, right audio and then a separate sector for video. So that part would have to be added to the port on the iPod to make it work. I believe it is there in the iPod photo but it won't be in your standard audio jack.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-03, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
AirFire? Nah... call it Napalm!
Heh.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-03, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Video ones have 3 "sectors" for left, right audio and then a separate sector for video. So that part would have to be added to the port on the iPod to make it work. I believe it is there in the iPod photo but it won't be in your standard audio jack.
It looks to me like it's already there. If you hooked it up to your TV, even without the Dock's S-video and through the headphone jack, its music is in stereo, correct? The picture may only be stills, but it's still a video signal -- after all, it has to be in order to get displayed. If the iPod had the processing power for it, it could play moving video on the existing hardware.

At least that's my take. But, I'd want a hard drive at least 5-10 times bigger before I started loading up a few thousand video files or a few DVDs.
Jay

2005-01-03, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
It looks to me like it's already there. If you hooked it up to your TV, even without the Dock's S-video and through the headphone jack, its music is in stereo, correct? The picture may only be stills, but it's still a video signal -- after all, it has to be in order to get displayed. If the iPod had the processing power for it, it could play moving video on the existing hardware.

At least that's my take. But, I'd want a hard drive at least 5-10 times bigger before I started loading up a few thousand video files or a few DVDs.
I was thinking thats how it was set up but I didn't know off hand. It would still only work with the iPod photos however. But I doubt Apple would do it in the first place.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-01-03, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
I was thinking thats how it was set up but I didn't know off hand. It would still only work with the iPod photos however. But I doubt Apple would do it in the first place.
I wasn't sure either, but after quite a bit of digging I finally rediscovered the video-left-right cable that Apple includes to plug into the headphone jack. I knew that the Dock had S-Video and line out audio, though.

And, yes, of course it would only work with the photo iPods. I would expect that those will become standard models when the novelty wears off and their current HD capacities become small-to-average-sized in the world of portable media players.

Give me an iBook with a terabyte of HD storage, an iPod at least half as roomy, and FireWire 10,000 and I'll think that video iPods will be a good idea. Without being able to handle the high-quality video files as easily as iTunes handles music files, it would be a waste of effort to try to use one.

(I'm repeating myself with that last paragraph, aren't I?)
adam_tj

2005-01-03, 22:53

Jay, couldnt Apple hook it up with mono and video? That would be so cool-

"Boss:do you have the designs? Employee:Yes, there right here." (Whips out silver iPod mini and plugs into projector) Crowd+Boss:Ooh. Aah."

Apple, make the minis do that THIS INSTANT!!!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-04, 00:42

Jobs will come out and talk about the incredible holiday sales of the iMac and iPod, the retail effort, and announce the Tiger launch date. He'll then get into the meat of the presentation, starting with new software releases from third parties.

From there it will go back to Jobs and he'll get into Tiger.

After Tiger, Jobs will introduce the $499 Mac.

After the $499 Mac will come the new iLife suite that will go with it.

Then the new iWorks suite.

Then the iPod flash will be unveiled. End O' Keynote.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Daveydweeb

Send a message via AIM to Daveydweeb  
2005-01-04, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
Jobs will come out and talk about the incredible holiday sales of the iMac and iPod, the retail effort, and announce the Tiger launch date. He'll then get into the meat of the presentation, starting with new software releases from third parties.

That's going to be a hell of a keynote. After all, there's only so many times you can say "But there's just one more thing..." without looking like an ass.

But then... what about the PowerMac? Isn't it going to get any attention at all? Speaking of which, what about the XServe? The Powerbook? The iPhone?

Chicks dig undertakers, right?
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-01-04, 01:49

Quote:

If true, there is no question that the 499 iMac would be the final part of the keynote. There is no bigger news and no bigger shocker than a mac at 499.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-04, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydweeb
But then... what about the PowerMac? Isn't it going to get any attention at all? Speaking of which, what about the XServe? The Powerbook? The iPhone?
As long as it's only a speed bump, the PM/Xserve/PB's should only take about 5 minutes each, at most. Either that, or they could be updated in the weeks after the keynote. The only thing I could see taking up a lot of time would be a G5 PB, which is a bit unlikely. Either that or the iPhone, which has been confirmed to exist, and could be shown.
Vjsz

2005-01-04, 09:29

so..at the end..i will have to wait to buy my Ipod Photo..wich was the reason i start this thing
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-01-04, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
If true, there is no question that the 499 iMac would be the final part of the keynote. There is no bigger news and no bigger shocker than a mac at 499.
Here's my revision.

The iPod flash will be unveiled

New iLife Suite.

Jobs will introduce the $499 Mac. And all the software will go with it of course.

End O' Keynote.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Jay

2005-01-04, 16:35

Quote:
Jay, couldnt Apple hook it up with mono and video? That would be so cool-

"Boss:do you have the designs? Employee:Yes, there right here." (Whips out silver iPod mini and plugs into projector) Crowd+Boss:Ooh. Aah."

Apple, make the minis do that THIS INSTANT!!!
It is still a hardware issue. Also the iPod Photo probably has a special chip for the play back of Photos and relay that signal to the port, it probably also covers the color screen. Maybe with some really creative programing it could be done but I doubt it. Also how are you supposed to view videos on the B/W screen? It's not even grey scale. I don't think it would happen anyway because a 2" screen and 60 GB of HD space isn't enough, you are better off getting yourself an iBook or PowerBook with an external HD.

Cool maybe, practical: HELL NO!
IMHO anyway.
Unbeliever

Send a message via AIM to Unbeliever  
2005-01-04, 17:45

Quote:
Here's my revision.

The iPod flash will be unveiled

New iLife Suite.

Jobs will introduce the $499 Mac. And all the software will go with it of course.

End O' Keynote.
you missed the "Mac users all around the world wet their pants" part

That would be a keynote to die for
zac4mac

2005-01-05, 07:28

I hear an awful lot of "apologist" talk on the subject of a "VideoPod". It's not that bad of an idea.
A 60GB PhotoPod should be able to hold plenty. A friend of mine has been going nuts the last year playing with DIVX. Fair to good quality and much smaller filesizes. H.264 is sure to be better than that. A/V out makes it better, but I could watch a show if I've got my bifocals. I had a Casio LCD pocket TV that was my constant companion thru the Gulf War(my little brother was there) and watched the towers fall on 9-11. It died shortly thereafter, but had a screen not much bigger then my PhotoPod.
That being said, I still don't think His Steveness will let it happen..

Z