Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Please Help, I Want To Buy An Apple Ibook, Just Don't Know When

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please Help, I Want To Buy An Apple Ibook, Just Don't Know When
kmoss52

2005-02-02, 16:08

Hi everyone

i'm very intrested in buying an ibook and i was just wondering if this current model ibook is a good one or should i wait for the tiger release and a g5 ibook if there is one. i would really appreciate the help, if anyone has a current ibook how is it? and would u recommend it?

thanks
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-02-02, 16:15

the iBook is a good deal right now...nice machine, airport, durable...

there will not be an iBook G5 for some time

as with all computer purchases...if you can wait, wait...if you need a computer now, buy now...

there will always be updates, but if you need a computer and are waiting then you are wasting precious resources (you, your mind, etc)...

the iBook is likely midcycle, but could be updated in a week, a month or not till WWDC...so get one if you need one, or get one if you want one, or wait if you worry about updates...

i expect the next update to have the graphics card go from 32 to 64...so if you want to play games on it, that may be a consideration....

if you plan to write papers, surf the web, chat, run iLife and do some moderate laptop gaming, you will be fine (up the ram to 512 at least and get the large HD)....

if you want to heavy duty game play, get a desktop or the PB or wait a while for updates

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-02-02, 16:18

ps...the iBook is a great little laptop....if you get one, i recommend the 12" over the 14" unless you are over 50 or have poor eyesight or both

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-02, 16:25

There's not going to be a G5 iBook anytime soon. The next iBook update is probably a long ways off, because both the eMac and PowerMac are due for an update first.

I wouldn't worry about buying an iBook now. Of course, if you just kinda feel like getting one but can get by without one for a while, you might think about waiting. I don't think it's worth waiting though.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-02-02, 16:35

Buy now and love it. There won't be a G5 for a while - don't sacrifice the present for an uncertain future
Spellflower

2005-05-25, 22:33

I have the same question as the same question as kmoss52, but now it's late May 2005- has anything changed? I am starting graduate school in a month, and hoped an ibook update would be out by then, but now I'm not so sure it will be. I think the current ibook should serve my purposes (word processing, internet surfing, and possibly recording with MBox ProTools in the future), but I'd hate to deal with the sinking feeling of just missing an update. Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-05-25, 22:42

iBook updates are running slightly behind where they usually are — they usually get updated in April.

This could mean a number of things… it's difficult to say what's going to happen. If you've got a month, I'd sit tight and see what happened, if it really worries you.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-26, 01:58

Welcome Spellflower - another thread here - http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...?t=6650&page=3

FJ
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-05-26, 08:28

This link might be a useful bookmark for you too.

As others have said, the iBook is a great little portable. Don't hold your breath for a G5 - they are a long way away.

As for the screen size, the 14" and 12" both display the same amount of info - so if you have good eyesight and like the small form factor, go for the 12" and save yourself a few bucks.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
BenRoethig

2005-05-26, 12:31

I have a 12" myself and perfer it over the 14" for portability reasons.
Amadeus

2005-05-26, 19:43

I would suggest waiting till after WWDC and see if Apple announces an update. One is due soon.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-28, 09:06

I got a 12" iBook G4 in January, and I love it. I wouldn't wait for an update... don't put yourself through that hell.

Don't get the 14", it's a waste of space and money.

You ask me for a hamburger.
pv2b

2005-05-28, 09:31

Offtopic quote from atomicbartbeans' signature:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
"Being outside sucks because unlike a computer, you can't turn the brightness down."
Yes you can. It's called sunglasses.

Aaanyway, back on topic.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any major iBook updates any time soon. And even if they were, I'd be leery to buy any Rev A product.

And any minor updates are probably too minor to bother waiting for.

I think it's more likely that Apple just skips this upgrade cycle. After all, they don't want to encroach too much on Powerbook territory.

The iBook is a very solid machine. I'm basing my experiences on the iBook G3 12" 16VRAM 700 MHz, which -- while it's a little pokey, is still a very solid machine to do whatever you want on. I'd definitely recommend the current iBook G4 series to any user with basic computer needs.

Although the next Mac I buy will probably be a Powerbook 15". For the extra screen estate.

I would like to second the opinion -- don't get the iBook 14" unless you really want the extra performance and battery life. The 14" has the same resolution as the 12" anyway (1024x768), so you won't be able to fit more on the screen. It's just not worth it, the current iBook G4 12" is "fast enough" already.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-05-28, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv2b
don't get the iBook 14" unless you really want the extra performance and battery life
I thought that the 14" didn't have as good battery life? Yes, the battery is bigger, but so is the screen. And screen backlights draw lots of power.

At any rate, I'm quite happy with the 4.5-5.5 hours I get with my 12". More than enough for an afternoon of computing.

pv2b

2005-05-28, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
I thought that the 14" didn't have as good battery life? Yes, the battery is bigger, but so is the screen. And screen backlights draw lots of power.
You know what? You're right. I just checked the Apple web site, and indeed, that seems to be the case for the current iBook series. (Specified battery life 6 hours -- take that with a grain of salt.)

It was different back when i bought my iBook G3. Back then, the 14" model would get better battery life than the 12", despite the bigger screen.

Thanks for correcting me.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-05-28, 12:33

No hard feelings. That was a big issue that convinced me to get an iBook as opposed to a PowerBook. You can spend $300 less for better battery life, better AP reception, and a more durable casing.

Kyros

2005-05-28, 12:58

I'm really torn right now. I was sure for a while that I would get the 15 inch powerbook, but then I started hearing that it gets around 2.5 hours battery life, which I find horrible. I'd like a powerbook since they look nicer and are a bit faster/more powerful, but the iBook gets very nice battery life and with the money I save I could get a high-capacity battery from OWC (50 percent more life in it, apparently, anyone know how long it really gets you? I would hope around 6 hours normal use). I'll see what happens a WWDC. Unfortunately, OWC's batteries for the powerbooks are not much bigger at all.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-28, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros
I started hearing that it gets around 2.5 hours battery life, which I find horrible.
Take those reports with a grain of salt, too. These numbers are typically coming from either users that run everything at full kilt or users who have an old battery that has lost capacity of the years.

As has been mentioned, it's still very possible to get 4+ or 5+ hours out of the current PowerBooks. My 12" PowerBook is almost nine months old and I still get 4 hours on a full charge. It all depends on your usage habits.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kyros

2005-05-28, 13:18

My friend gets 4 hours on his 12 inch as well, they seem fine, but I have heard people with latest generation 15 inch powerbooks getting less than 3 hours, and can't even see a full-length dvd on one charge. I have been hearing this constantly, as well, not just from a few people.

EDIT: Admittedly, no personal experience. Even if it is around 3.5 hours, though, the iBook with the OWC battery would get far more.

Last edited by Kyros : 2005-05-28 at 13:29.