Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

"Easiest" way to rename home folder

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Easiest" way to rename home folder
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-12-27, 01:36

Hi, i just started working in a new agency and just got a new mac. the problem is that the home folder for the admin account is called "creative3" and i would like to rename it. i checked the apple website and they have like a 60 step instruction to changing it. i was wondering if there was an easier way like a software that would do it for me or something.

thanks

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-12-27, 03:54

Change the name of the home folder in the Finder. You may need to authenticate to do this. If you need to do it from the command line, the command is "sudo mv /path/to/folder /path/to/newfoldername".

Having done this, open up Netinfo Manager from /Applications/Utilities, click the lock to make changes, select the users property, your user name, and change the home value to the new name of the home folder (see attachment).

usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-12-27, 08:39

thanks staph, since my new powermac didnt have anything on it i decided to format it and reinstall everything again. thanks for the help though.
bohemianne

2006-09-26, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph View Post

Change the name of the home folder in the Finder. You may need to authenticate to do this. If you need to do it from the command line, the command is "sudo mv /path/to/folder /path/to/newfoldername".

Having done this, open up Netinfo Manager from /Applications/Utilities, click the lock to make changes, select the users property, your user name, and change the home value to the new name of the home folder (see attachment).

Is this how you guys would recommend doing this, or can anyone validate that this information is current? I transferred my old account from my old iBook to my new iMac, and I would like to change the name of the home directory, but I always thought just changing it in the Finder was a *bad* idea. Can someone shed some light?

(P.S. I am using a 20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running 10.4.7.)

Muchos gracias.

When people say "Zap your P-RAM", it makes me feel a little dirty. 
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-26, 22:32

Also, if you want to rename the short user name (from which the home folder gets its name), I would recommend using:

ChangeShortName
bohemianne

2006-09-27, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Also, if you want to rename the short user name (from which the home folder gets its name), I would recommend using:

ChangeShortName
Yeah, I thought they were pretty much interchangeable. Thanks for the suggestion...I'll give it a shot.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-12-19, 11:02

Dragging this up because I just noticed Leopard doesn't have NetInfo Manager. Instead you can right-click on any user in the "Accounts" preference panel and click "Advanced Options..."

Very convenient.

Also if you plan on changing the UID, use the following command to make sure you choose one that isn't already taken:

Code:
dscl cd Local/Default/Users readall . UniqueID

"exit" when done.