User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.
Page 17 of 28 First Previous 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21  Next Last Thread Tools
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-03-24, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Just kind of in general. We go digging around, find a nice, dark cavern, explore for a little while, then later find someone has been there. Ask around a bit and everyone is "nah, nope, don't know, huh-uh," etc. I think a lot of the caverns and such were explored 2 or 3 years ago. Really, there aren't a lot of new cave systems or caverns within Spawn, yet the ones I find are "claimed" by candles that were likely placed there *eons* ago.

I found a nice, little, abandoned mine by Jess' place, unlit, and started tearing out track. After about an hour, I popped around a corner and discovered a cavern with an obsidian floor and a crafting table right at a different entrance to the very same mine. That area was lit like nuts, yet I just didn't get the feeling anyone was doing anything with it.

Not complaining, just wondering if everyone is so absorbed in surface projects that claimed mines/caverns have been ignored or forgotten about for a very long time. There are lots of resources in those things, but no signs to denote claims, and many are nowhere near anyone. When I ask about them, quite often no one has any clue what belongs to whom. Unless it's underneath someone's house, it seams to have been long forgotten.

Ultimately, if I find torches, I turn around and go the other way. Still, it's a bit confusing.
That cavern with the obsidian floor was probably my obsidian mining operation. (It was a huge lava lake until I got busy with the water.) I think it's sort of below my house, but I'm pretty bad at keeping track underground. I haven't been down there for a while, as you say.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-24, 20:25

This general area is where I found the mine.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-24, 20:28

Nothing has been pasted in that area, and the nearby city was only pasted to ~10 below the surface.

Chances are good that somebody visited it once before and abandoned it. I know TPoit/IJak wandered around a lot out there in the early days of this world. Owen too when he joined up. Could have been either of them.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-03-24, 20:56

That may have been me. Ive lit up a few mines while out adventuring, but nothing i was laying claim to.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-25, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Nothing has been pasted in that area, and the nearby city was only pasted to ~10 below the surface.
I guess copy/paste is the wrong choice of words. I wasn't referring to the individual buildings and such that have been copied over from other worlds. It was more of a reference to the 9 mega-chunks of Spawn that have been "copied" forward. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for a complete do-over or any such thing. Personally, I didn't like the "start from scratch" approach to the last update and am very glad we started over (again) with a fresh perimeter, but familiar core.

Quote:
I know TPoit/IJak wandered around a lot out there in the early days of this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
That may have been me. Ive lit up a few mines while out adventuring, but nothing i was laying claim to.
In the mouths of two or three witnesses, a matter is settled! We'll call it a leftover from iJak's exploring days. "The track is gone and the chests have been raided," he says many days after the fact!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-25, 19:54

The Trail of Towers is now well under way. Thanks to Grey's "it'll only take 15 minutes" suggestion, I helped him level the entire area and re-plot the lots. Grey and BB immediately started building, so the Trail is down to one lot remaining.

Remember, once finished, we will have a naming contest where players offer up naming suggestions for each of the towers other than their own. We will then vote for the best name based on those suggestions.

One lot left. Better stake your claim. But, if it proves popular enough, perhaps we can find another location?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-05, 20:19

We need a 50 x 50 space for a tall "trophy case" for Jess' dragon egg. The structure will be close to 100 tall, with an exact base of 50 x 50. We will need a little extra room around the edges (perhaps 10 blocks) and would like to build close to town. We have several spots in mind, but don't want to step on any toes.

A couple players in-game know what Jess is going to build, so they understand how big it will be. It will not be an "eyesore", this I can guarantee.

We want to get started on construction soon, but will wait until something like a quorum has weighed in.

¡Damned!

2014-04-05, 20:38

Given that I'm one of the players that knows what she's going for, I'd suggest the spot near Robo's lighthouse. The Crossroads there could make it interesting and fun if it's centered. EDIT: No, I just measured, and it will not fit there.

One spot you haven't put on the map, but I think might be equally keen, is the hill near Brad's TriForce (lower-center right on the pic you posted). EDIT2: Nope, not there either.

Behind the MoneyBin would be my second choice of all the marked spots, because tall and downtown.

EDIT3: OK, it might fit at the crossroads depending on what "10 blocks" means. 10 blocks on each side so it's 70x70? Tall blocks? As long as it doesn't obstruct Robo's lighthouse, I'll again make that my first choice.

Or wait. The spot right next to Bryson's theatre? Maybe? That's a great spot. I'd love for stuff to start creeping over there. (no pun intended)

I'll even go over there and level things out with Ken. It'll only take 15 minutes.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-04-05 at 21:00.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-05, 23:09

Grey, I'll help you level anything that needs leveling, even if it *does* take 15 minutes!

I like the crossroads by the lighthouse, but I do think Jess' project will kind of conceal it from at least one view. You know the project, so you have a pretty good idea. The spot behind the bin is good, too, especially considering it's proximity to the Arc de Trimelon.

The crossroads, though, yeah. But! The design has a base 50 x 50, and the roads are 5 wide. Odd does NOT center with even, so ... Might have to modify the roads a bit right there. They would have to be either 4 or 6 wide.

The spot immediately east of the bin is also a good one, but lots of tera-forming needed. Hey, it'll only take … oh, never mind.

Crossroads is choice #1 for us.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-06, 11:10

After a lot of wandering about and investigating, we determined that the crossroads is too close to the lighthouse.

Some of the guys thought the better location would be the yellow circle. There was some discussion that the mob trap there was ineffective and should come down. The spot is ideal for Jess' project.

¡Damned!

2014-04-06, 12:02

Agreed. Since we have the Massive Mob Trap™ now, the others are a bit of overlap. If it wasn't above ground I'd say leave it, but as it stands it's just taking up space. I'll be tearing my old Skellie/Spider trap entrance up as well, since we now have both loot and XP gathering at much better levels than my small trap could ever do. It'll still be functional for a quick-fix if anyone needs it, but the road and the entrance I think are better used to make a path out to arteggio's castle. That's a highly under-appreciated build, imo.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-06, 15:09

I haven't been on at all this past week, but what you guys (ks and 709) are planning looks totally reasonable to me! Owen's long-abandoned incomplete projects, as anyone else's, should qualify for eminent domain repurposing. Plus, as you said, we have a much better set of mob traps for acquiring loot and XP.

I'm not sure if Owen uses that old house by the yellow circle. InvaderJak/ThunderPoit built that as a starter house for him long ago, but nowadays Owen seems to spend most of his time around the desert Reese complex.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-06, 15:24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
After the park is finished this will be my next thing - shooting for completion by the new 2014 movie premier. Monster Island, er, Swamp. Same 9 characters that I planned on before, just a different location. I'm pretty excited about it.
One month later... don't forget! May is sneaking closer.
One month later.

*cough* *cough* *ahem*

You have just one month and one week before the theatrical release!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-06, 16:02

Quote:
Agreed. Since we have the Massive Mob Trap™ now, the others are a bit of overlap. If it wasn't above ground I'd say leave it, but as it stands it's just taking up space. I'll be tearing my old Skellie/Spider trap entrance up as well, since we now have both loot and XP gathering at much better levels than my small trap could ever do. It'll still be functional for a quick-fix if anyone needs it, but the road and the entrance I think are better used to make a path out to arteggio's castle. That's a highly under-appreciated build, imo.
For your trap, how about making it a path you can walk into from the carnival? House of horrors kinda thing. I wouldn't mind being able to go in and shoot at them for fun every now and then. Certainly not a critical with the major mob trap and XP farm.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2014-04-08, 16:21

Quote:
I'll be tearing my old Skellie/Spider trap entrance up as well . . . but the road and the entrance I think are better used to make a path out to arteggio's castle. That's a highly under-appreciated build, imo.
So, that happened. The path now dips down underwater where the old entrance was and comes up on the small island due West. It continues in arteggio's build style out to his castle.

The small island is prime for an interesting build. If I didn't have so much on my plate I'd snag it myself. Speaking of...

Quote:
One month later.

*cough* *cough* *ahem*

You have just one month and one week before the theatrical release!
I know! Honestly, I'm a tad worried.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-08, 17:43

Grey, anything I can help with?
¡Damned!

2014-04-10, 20:32

Quote:
Grey, anything I can help with?
No, but thanks for the offer though.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-04-11 at 08:04.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-15, 19:57

¡Damned!

2014-04-15, 23:05

That was fun.
¡Damned!

2014-04-17, 17:31

Quote:
I'd like to expand on this, thanks to Brad allowing me to transport specifically-saved loot from Cactuar inside the belly of Gojira when he copied the outline over:

I'm going to need to expand this area a tiny bit more (relatively) if it's OK by everyone:

The build will be ~40-50 blocks above sea level, so there's still opportunity to build paths/bridges/whatever underneath – they'll just need to be well lit. Also, all of it should be above water. I don't want to hit the land anywhere with a constant shadow, but E/W might be a little tight.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-04-17, 18:02

I hear May coming. Faster and faster....
¡Damned!

2014-04-17, 18:15

Gah.

Gojira isn't even the largest. In fact, he's the fourth largest. Thankfully the second and third of those are symmetrical. Those I should be able to whip out pretty quickly once I have my plans designed. The big-daddy though… eep.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-17, 18:28

Quote:
I'm going to need to expand this area a tiny bit more (relatively) if it's OK by .
The tunnel out to Whammerstein is kind of under that new outline (maybe just a bit south), but I have zero problem with overbuild. In fact, you're more than welcome to tap into the tunnel for path/observation platform or what ever.

¡Damned!

2014-04-17, 18:43

Yeah. The tunnel is right about where the bottom of the blue box is. By the time it gets out that far it'll only be feet, but there still may be some suicidal mobs floating around that spawned up top.

After all these are built I may want to build a rail that kind've gives a tour. I have my viewing distance set at "Far" and if I'm at Gojira's feet I can't even see the end of his tail. There'll be no way to see everyone unless I make a walking path or a rail.

Or maybe I just leave it and let people discover them on their own. Coming across Kumonga at dusk would scare the ever-loving shit out of me. Maybe that's the way to go.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-19, 01:30

I just googled Kumonga. Screw you, Grey.... that's terrifying.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-04-20, 16:56

Just so you know, 709, I noticed that some item frames are missing from the Egg again...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-20, 18:18

Quote:
The Trail of Towers is now well under way.

Remember, once finished, we will have a naming contest where players offer up naming suggestions for each of the towers other than their own. We will then vote for the best name based on those suggestions.

One lot left. Better stake your claim. But, if it proves popular enough, perhaps we can find another location?
Done! Nobody was stepping up; so, I had to put the Enterprise on pause and fill the final gap.
¡Damned!

2014-04-20, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Just so you know, 709, I noticed that some item frames are missing from the Egg again...
Huh. Either that area is a nexus for item frames disappearing or we have a troll in the mix that either has a thing for weak weapons with crappy enchants or just wants to be annoying. FWIW, I've never had an item frame go missing outside of that area. And I have a lot.

Quote:
Done! Nobody was stepping up; so, I had to put the Enterprise on pause and fill the final gap.
Nicely done! It's a fun build for that corner, as it fits with the towers but also kind've eases into the Reese Complex as well.

Also, I just noticed a constellation above bobsky's tower. WHAT IS IT

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-20, 21:33

Quote:
Yaaaaaayz!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-04, 01:49

Quote:
I'm just bumping this thread to say that even though it doesn't look like it, I'm making slow and steady progress on my latest project.
Slow and steady indeed.

The outside is largely complete!

The inside... almost there. I just did a walkthrough and surveyed the current status. Here's a list of the completed areas/rooms. Spoiler alert!

Spoiler (click to toggle):
arboretum
auxiliary bridge
bridge
briefing room
brig
captains ready room
cargo bay (lower level)
cargo bay (mid level)
cargo bay (upper level)
communications bay
crew quarters (x16)
docking ports (x5)
engineering
engineering office (x4)
engineers dining mess
evacuation transporter (x2)
fusion reactor control
jeffries tubes
laboratory, anthropology
laboratory, astrophysics
laboratory, biochemistry
laboratory, biophysics
laboratory, chaos physics
laboratory, chemistry
laboratory, physics
laboratory, tachyonics
observation lounge (x6)
officers observation lounge
recreation deck complex
senior officers mess
senior officers quarters (x8)
shuttle parking bay (x2)
shuttlebay
shuttlebay observation deck
shuttlecraft galileo
sickbay complex
torpedo bay
transporter room (x6)
weapons lockers
workshop, damage control
workshop, diagnostics
workshop, electronic
workshop, nanotech
workshop, shipfitting

...and tons of sprawling turbolifts and corridors.

The labs and workshops aren't particularly interesting... just "office" room filler, basically. Also, there should be like a hundred crew quarters, but I'm not making them all.