Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Other Texture Packs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Other Texture Packs
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-08-28, 01:18

I've only seen Minecraft through the courtesy of Brad's always-appreciated texture pack.

Tonight I was looking at a build for a dock over on reddit and fell in love with the texture pack John Smith, which has been kept up to date by the community over at http://www.jslegacy.com/ if you want to give it a whirl.

I'm curious to know what texture packs other than Brad's you people are running these days.

Just looking at John Smith I can already tell that my use will be limited, but an adventure, so don't cry, Brad.

Don't cry.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-08-28, 11:05

Burn the unbeliever!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-08-28, 15:54

Over the years, I've tinkered with a few of the popular texture packs. That said, I haven't used many others recently. John Smith was nice, but too dark for regular use IMO. Quandary Pack and Coterie Craft are both quite nice; they try to keep the spirit of the original textures and only make subtle changes to clean things up or enhance contrast.

Sphax PureDBCraft is... interesting. It's one of the few packs to have ridiculously high-res custom textures for *everything* including a bunch of third-party mods used by modpacks like Tekkit and Feed the Beast. I used it briefly when we were running FTB, but it just feels too different for me.

Then of course there's the granddaddy of them all: Painterly Pack. Many of the resources in my pack come from Painterly; other pack authors often borrow from Painterly too. The various stone materials in Painterly tend to be too yellow, though, and I end up desaturating them whenever I use them in my pack.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-08-28, 18:09

Thanks Brad! I'll look at all of them. I'm pretty sure that yours, with its subtle deference to Zelda and the 8-bit world, will remain my go-to.

(dodged a bullet THERE!!)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-10, 00:50

I just ran across one in development called "Doodle Blocks" and it seems pretty keen!

Short YouTube video.

NOTE: it's as yet incomplete

Another one called Scribblenauts.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-03-10, 11:24

Part of the reason those texture packs look nicer is that they are higher resolution than the standard ones. If I were going whole-hog (what is up with my American vernacular use today?), I would look at better shaders, higher resolution texture packs, etc. There are shaders that actually have shadows that respond to the location of light sources, which is a much needed change from the default. But as my computer is nearly 5 years old, causes me to have a second degree burn whenever I play Minecraft...