AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

No Official Mini Update

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No Official Mini Update
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2005-10-12, 13:34

They didn't mention the mini update, but there's sepcualtion they're going to do more HW upgrades nest week?

Should I wait or what?
Kit Fisto

2005-10-12, 13:35

I would wait.
Joshua

2005-10-12, 13:36

I'm SOOOOOO sick of waiting, god damnit!!!
stonyc

Send a message via AIM to stonyc  
2005-10-12, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
I'm SOOOOOO sick of waiting, god damnit!!!
So, don't? If you need it now, get it now.. if you don't need it now, wait.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-12, 15:20

The fact that they didn't make the Mac mini updates official does suggest that some other hardware updates may be coming soon.
Joshua

2005-10-12, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
The fact that they didn't make the Mac mini updates official does suggest that some other hardware updates may be coming soon.
Thats whats scaring me out of getting it now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-12, 16:00

Purchasing advice belongs in... DING DING DING!! Purchasing Advice. Moving...
atraidman

2005-10-12, 19:03

No, don't wait. I just went to the Apple store. Bought a Mac Mini - it's the updated one.

How can you tell before you buy? Simple. Go to the store. Ask to see the box. Write down the serial number on the box. Tell them you need to think about it some more. Walk over to one of the systems on display, go to Apple.com and click on Support. Type the serial number into the "check my registration/warranty" box on the lower right corner of the page.

If it says "Mac Mini", it's the old one. If it says "Mac Mini (Late 2005)" - It's the new one. Simple, and we think, foolproof.

Adam
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-10-12, 19:36

Maybe, but if they update the other machines maybe another updated Mac Mini with a 1.67Ghz G4 is on the line with the silent 1.5Ghz Mini's as the base line unit?
trans3062

2005-10-12, 19:47

I see where the Best Buy website is completely sold out of the Mini.

Interesting.
atraidman

2005-10-12, 21:03

PB PM - I'll be one pissed mofo' if you're right on that one.
sjsutton

2005-10-14, 14:01

For those in the NJ/NY area: The Apple Store in the Palisades Center Mall (Nyack, NY) sold me a serial number "537" which contained a mini with refreshed specs.
kfury77

2005-10-15, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atraidman
No, don't wait. I just went to the Apple store. Bought a Mac Mini - it's the updated one.

How can you tell before you buy? Simple. Go to the store. Ask to see the box. Write down the serial number on the box. Tell them you need to think about it some more. Walk over to one of the systems on display, go to Apple.com and click on Support. Type the serial number into the "check my registration/warranty" box on the lower right corner of the page.

If it says "Mac Mini", it's the old one. If it says "Mac Mini (Late 2005)" - It's the new one. Simple, and we think, foolproof.

Adam
great idea! do the new-spec versions still have processor speed 1.42 on the sticker of the box? I want to buy a new-spec mac mini from the apple store in regent street, london. has anyone managed to get one from there?
findgwyn

2005-10-16, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfury77
great idea! do the new-spec versions still have processor speed 1.42 on the sticker of the box? I want to buy a new-spec mac mini from the apple store in regent street, london. has anyone managed to get one from there?
I actually bought a Mac mini from the Regent Street store 2 weeks ago and a couple of days later saw the posts about the silent upgrade.

I returned it (which they did quite happily) and spoke with the manager about the upgrade. He was kind enough to actually check the highest numbered serial numbers they had against the web site, as described above, and unfortunately none of them came up with the updated spec. He also called California to confirm the spec change which they did, grudgingly.

Unfortunately he also said that they had a reasonable number in stock and probably wouldn't get refreshed stock for a while. He suggested trying the online store. I called them and they totally refused to confirm the upgraded specs, so guess you are taking the lucky dip option there.

However the delay did mean that I now have a 20" iMac (iSight) on order... so guess Apple and I will do well out of the deal!
kfury77

2005-10-19, 16:37

my wife just bought me a new superdrive mac mini from the New York Apple Store and the serial number on the box is YM537xxxxx (which means its a new spec version) - she's coming back to London tomorrow - can't wait to get my new mac mini!