Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Welcome to the World of Hip-Hop Culture

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Welcome to the World of Hip-Hop Culture
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-30, 11:39

I was looking at adult swim the other day to see if more Frisky Dingo stuff was in the offing and for the hell of it decided to click on this link

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?epis...165f4e734e007d

Another in a series of cartoons created for adults, this episode absolutely nails it IMO. Cracked me up in several spots. About as perfect a representation of the hip-hop value system (from the top of the food chain to the bottom) as you can get. Now they should make one that shows how many of these "artists" "make music" and how cookie-cutterish and worthless most of it is, one hit barely recognizable from the next, most artists disappearing from the face of the earth after a couple years... yet we're supposed to believe that compared to any type of music with longevity, that it deserves the same respect as an art form. pure pwnage. It's more of a lifestyle / fraternity than it is an art form.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-11-30, 11:55

I'm pretty sure you still wouldn't say 'no' to having a house like that.

Last edited by Foj : 2007-11-30 at 12:39.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-30, 12:00

You're completely missing the point of that cartoon (watch the whole thing - there's an ad in the middle, that's not the end). If I had that kind of money, there's no fuckin' way I'd do any of the things most of those morons do with their homes.

A) I'd save / invest most of it. So 20 years from now I'm still living well, able to give to others, etc.

B) I wouldn't waste millions on ostentatious BS.

A nice house with an extra room or two and a slick patio and pool? You bet? A nice car, sure. But you are sadly mistaken if you think I'd waste big money on bling, throwin' parties for show, etc. Anybody who does is a fool IMO.

Anyway it's not about a specific item or thing, it's about the totality of the lifestyle and what it represents. See the forest through the trees home-style.

Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-11-30, 12:00

HAHAH! Love it, but the Boondocks is a great show. When I was in Iowa for a debate tournament one of the guys on my team had season 1 & 2 on his laptop, we watched the entire thing during the weekend we were there, it is so funny. I love how they go about showing all the stereotypes. But that was amazing. LOL
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-30, 12:05

Seriously... it's just too perfect. The voices, the examples of bling, etc. The little kid. Priceless.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-11-30, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
You're completely missing the point of that cartoon. If I had that kind of money, there's no fuckin' way I'd do any of the things most of those morons do with their homes.

A) I'd save / invest most of it. So 20 years from now I'm still living well, able to give to others, etc.

B) I wouldn't waste millions on ostentatious BS.

A nice house with an extra room or two and pool? You bet? A nice car, sure. But you are sadly mistaken if you think I'd waste big money on bling, throwin' parties for show, etc.

Anyway it's not about a specific item or thing, it's about the totality of the lifestyle and what it represents. See the forest through the trees by brotha.
I wasn't saying you'd throw all that money around shouting "Wuz up n*****! Dis be my crunk juice pool, bitches!" .

Just that maybe if that house got foreclosed on and you could get it for cheap.

Maybe I should add to the end of the last post.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-30, 12:35

Yah that'd be good.

In the bizarre-o world where I could get that house for cheap, it would be a construction zone complete with tall scafolds and tarps for about 8 weeks before I got through with it. As thugnificent as I am, some things would have to go. I'd probably keep the doorbell though if I were single.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-11-30, 13:14

The house and bad taste statuary... no.

The whorebell and nubile pillowy furnishings... maybe.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 14:30

For giggles and great "head-smacking" moments, I used to watch "Cribs" on MTV, especially if they were featuring a hip-hop star. Those were always good for some solid laughs. So over-the-top...everything. Gates, landscaping, house, electronics, yard, pool, vehicles, bedrooms (always introduced with some variation of "yeah, here's where I spend most of my time..." or "this is where all the action goes down" comment), bathrooms, playrooms, etc. That cartoon above isn't that far off, actually.

And the thing about it, it would always be some nimrod with one album to his name, and, at most, two "hit" singles (in the most generous sense of the word...they cracked the "Flash In The Pan" Top 400 Billboard charts). In other words, a future "Whatever Happened To..." trivia question.

You see a lot of musicians (of all stripes) get a bit of fame and money and just go bonkers on the "stuff". But some were always worse than others...and hip-hoppers, probably because of the value of "stuff" - bling and materialism - playing such a prominent role in the genre (way more than in rock, pop, straight R&B and country), always took the cake in "ohmigosh...I had no idea you could actually order a solid gold 12-ft. fountain in the shape of a vulva with a joint sticking out of it!" stuff.

Save your money, fellas...it's a long, hard fall when all you have in you is two albums (and the second one doesn't sell). Labels tend not to keep shaky artists around much anymore, "nurturing talent" and rolling the dice (and spending money on flops) like they might've at one time...

Always funny to watch those VH-1 "Behind the Music" shows, featuring some 80's hair metal band (Great White, Warrant, etc.) or rapper (MC Hammer, etc.): "And then it all spiraled downhill...".

What?!? You mean one hit songs does not buy you three mansions, 11 Italian sports cars and payroll for a 14-person entourage for life?!? Why, I'm STUNNED beyond words!

You'd like to think that some of these guys actually had a clue, and did smart stuff with their earnings, so in five years (hell, two years) when the hits dry up, they can provide a comfortable existence for themselves and their loved ones. Some do. But most, I suspect, don't. It's fleeting - and foolishly spent - for most.

So when you're ordering that purple metalflake Hummer (to go with your white, gold, green and black ones) with the $95,000 sound system and dashboard Cristal dispenser, you might want to keep some of the above in the back of your mind, G...only a handful of guys in your specific genre have truly "made it" and been around for the long haul (because they've been smart and had a plan, and knew what to do with their success); and chances are, your goofy, marginally talented, recently-paroled/recovering-from-nightclub-gunfire-wounds butt isn't going to be joining their ranks.

"I know Snoop Dogg...and you, sir, are no Snoop Dogg..."

And then we'll see you on a 2012 episode of "Behind the Music", detailing your "fall from mid-level stardom".

"Lookin' back, I realize now that I didn't really need a gold-plated helicopter with a rotating waterbed in it. But at the time...uh, hang on just a minute...you wanna upsize that drink and fries for .49ยข, ma'am?"

Sad.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-11-30, 14:42

Whorebell.

That is *SO* going on my Christmas list.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 14:56

I'm surprised that in the world of mp3s, custom ringtones and the like, that some company hasn't sprung up, offering some sort of "custom doorbell sounds" for those who'd be into such a thing. Hook the system up to your current doorbell workings, but the push triggers a song, sound effect or whatever the homeowner wants.

I'd have a recording of Fred Sanford: "Go get the do', dummy!", like he'd yell at Lamont.

Maybe such a thing exists, and, not having a doorbell myself, I'm just not aware of it?

It could get really fancy, with a multi-button keypad that you could "assign" to your various friends and relatives, and you'd know who was at your door based on the ring (just like custom-assigned cell phone rings for various people in your life).

"Uh oh, that's the in-laws...we ain't home. Hide!"

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-11-30, 15:01

Lamont...

Oh man, memory lane. They would re-run that show constantly on TBS when I was a kid. Every time I was home sick from school, it was McHale's Navy, Sanford & Son and cartoons.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-30, 15:04

Yeah, I always dug Fred and Aunt Esther going at it. "Listen here, you fish-eyed fool..."