User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 44 of 49 First Previous 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-04, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Quit being such a puss? They hiss at you before exploding..
They're always hissing. Always. All around me. It never stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Creepers and cave hunting often put me on edge too. And you're out killing spiders all by your lonesome for some string?

In AppleNova Minecraft, string comes to you, at the community hostile trap. One of the many things our economy now has to offer us.

After you explore that tantalizing cave, why don't you join the online world? You don't have to not look stupid. When you blow up and die, you start in the middle of civilization.

drewdrops and I think someone else are learning their way around at the moment, and between the mob traps and the community exchange you wouldn't have wonder where your next arrow or heart or whatever will come from.

And then, you could bless us with your designs.
Well, if I'm going to go online again, I'm going to want to skin my character, so I'm not Generic Guy again.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-04, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Everyone:

I'm beyond disappointed in one or more users of the server. It was discovered today that we are missing a collection of swords from the small chests inside "Hard Shell Armory". I put them there to be readily accessed when needed.
Any idea how long they've been gone? The last time you saw them?

Does the door to the armory open with a floor plate? The last anonymous guest "Player" we had online was definitely not Atari Jr. and was a bit of a jerk. I would not at all be surprised if he was the culprit, assuming he could find a way in. I'm currently downloading a pile of recent backups from your server (sorry for the network strain) to investigate further.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-04, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'll go buy a mouse, but am wondering if they make programmable joysticks that work with a Mac.
Mouse. No joystick.

Unless this is what you really want.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-04, 17:25

Wait, I wasn't the last Player?

How odd...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-04, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It'd probably be easier if I was doing all this online. But I don't want to look stupid, getting blown up and everything. Plus, I want to explore that cave.
As usual, everyone else has basically beaten me to the punch, but I'll reiterate it for emphasis.

Going multiplayer really does open up a whole different world and experience. Between all the wisecracks, and believe me we are cracking wise aplenty, you have the support net of a community of people who all have vested interests in the game, be it to complete some massive project (like bobsky and his traps skyranch) or to beautify a shared neighborhood (like Bridgeport) or to just go adventuring as a team (as Drew and company did last night).

That doesn't stop you from wandering off alone and mining and building if you like. Pretty much everybody has wondered off alone to mine and build on their own for some stretch of time. The benefits to having the community, though, are that you can take breaks from your work to check out what others are up to, help them out, or just mingle, that if you get in trouble there's usually someone around to help bail you out, and that we have the ability to pool and share resources at places like the community exchange and community mob traps.

As for "looking stupid", don't sweat it. I know that some of us have been playing on AN's world for, what, four months? (golly!) Please don't let that intimidate you! I'm still likely to occasionally let my guard and get creepered to death while trying to escape the inevitable spider rape.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Although, another benefit of being on the AN server is that you have a, umm, benevolent benefactor who likes to "keep the lights on" and regularly resets the clock when he's on so he can work in perpetual daylight. Sometimes in-game days can last for hours!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

¡Damned!

2011-04-04, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
It's going to be hilarious when we find out that they went "missing" during turtle's (in)famous power-cord-tripping.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-04, 17:49

Robo, I've learned a TON from the helpful folks on the AN server. Last night when I walked back to town with Rowdy he was down on his hearts and I felt immensely proud to share my remaining porkchops with him. Not nearly the coolness of things others have shared with me, but it's nice having friends to call on in a pinch. I figure if I was trapped somewhere they'd dropchute in and kick ass!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-04, 18:38

I'll go online soon. But holy crap, this cave is huge. I thought surely I was getting to the end of it when I saw lava, but NO.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-04, 19:00

Bryson,

I am thinking of moving your staircase to over the pads in the center of the passive trap, which will likely make it more convenient for use...

I will wait to do that until i hear from you...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-04, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Bryson,

I am thinking of moving your staircase to over the pads in the center of the passive trap, which will likely make it more convenient for use...

I will wait to do that until i hear from you...
Go for it.

Did we empty the chests down there yet?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-04, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Does the door to the armory open with a floor plate? The last anonymous guest "Player" we had online was definitely not Atari Jr. and was a bit of a jerk. I would not at all be surprised if he was the culprit, assuming he could find a way in. I'm currently downloading a pile of recent backups from your server (sorry for the network strain) to investigate further.
The door is opened externally via button but internally via pressure plate. How long ago, a while. I really don't remember to be honest. They were one of the early additions to the armory. Mrs T noticed they weren't there a week or so ago but didn't mention it because she thought I just didn't do them. The odd part is they were actually put there to share. I only noticed them because I'm building a dispenser system for armor in the armory. Push a button and a helmet falls from the ceiling. I'm pretty excited about this project actually!

I wouldn't worry about going through logs or backups unless you really want to. I don't think I want to know who did it really. I like thinking everyone is on the straight and narrow. Just a little disheartening. I'll make more and refill the chests and move on with my life.

That being said, if anyone needs armor, once I complete the dispenser you are welcome to come and try it and get yourself one of each.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Bonn89

2011-04-04, 21:30

Holy shit... Those shots of Bridgeport where almost certainly taken from atop my house, but I have no IDEA where that building to the left of the White House sprung up from. o_O

I need to play on the server more. If only it wasn't so incredibly laggy on my end when I try to play.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-04, 22:01

Gah! Bad Minecraft night with my shitty, oft failing, internet connection and the server straining under the load of 10 players...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-04, 22:04

We should ad minecarting to the mix!

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-04, 22:10

Quote:
We should ad minecarting to the mix!
People were minecarting?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-05, 00:47

Not that I know of, but it would have been great to add in wouldn't it?

So short version is I'm going to finish cleaning all my data off of Lenny so I can do a clean install of CentOS. You know, a modern version of CentOS at least.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-05, 02:02

I added stairs/elevator from the under skyranch skywalk to the plains below which should give access to both communal traps from the skywalk. Another staircase will be added down to the passive trap in the middle to give more direct access there.

The first staircase is part of laying the groundwork for a refocus of my attention onto completing the sky ranch. Dirt collection has been complete thanks to last minute donations from Thunderpoit, RowdyScot and arteggio. I will be building a staircase from the under ranch skywalk bypass up to the ranch which will connect into a basement/tunnel system as currently planned that leads to the hostile trap observatory.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 04:33

Quote:
The door is opened externally via button but internally via pressure plate.
So does that mean a guest "Player" can open it or not?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-05, 06:48

What is that scary purple wall near the spawn area?

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 07:15

It's a portal to The Nether (MC's version of hell). Not active in SMP yet, but when it is it'll be super handy. Traveling 1 block in The Nether = traveling 8 blocks in the "Real World," so I could travel from the Spawn portal to the portal in my house through The Nether 8x faster than I could normally.

Plus there's blocks in The Nether (Glowstone, Netherrack, Soul Sand) that aren't available through natural means in the Real World.

So it goes.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-05, 07:41

How scary will it be? Filled with ghastly critchures I assume?

arteggio

2011-04-05, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
How scary will it be? Filled with ghastly critchures I assume?
Actually, yes.

Ghasts, and zombie pigmen apparently. I haven't experienced either yet.

Last edited by arteggio : 2011-04-05 at 09:25.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-05, 10:23

Is there a hosket rink yet?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-05, 11:37

So, 1.4_01 is out. I clicked "yes" on autopilot but I'm glad to report that you can still access the server with it installed. Apparently it fixes the bed sleeping/spawn issue, as well as taking out the Steve Co chests.

Went to visit Turtles automatic armour dispenser. Very Ironman.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 11:42

Damn, now I want to build something in Bridgeport.

I may have to poke around tonight and see what land is still available.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-05, 11:45

Still a slot between the Money Bin and Brad's new castle (name?) or between the pub and the bong. Or next to the theatre on the Sandy area.

I need to build a temporary treefarm somewhere for construction materials for the theatre, but I'll wait until you pick a spot.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 11:50

Where is the theatre going again? Is it at the elbow in the skyway (the one that heads furthest east then turns north to Elysium & turtle)?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-05, 11:52

Just past the dye swatches, behind Thunderpoits new glass-roofed farm. There's a trench cut that shows the rough extents.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 11:56

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 12:17

Actually, that sandy area is the perfect size. I laid some rough markers down that will likely move a little NE, but if nobody minds/has plans for that area I'll take it.

Is your theatre based on something in London, Bryson? Just curious.

[edit]:

I'm thinking about roughly this area (outlined square):

Any objections?

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-04-05 at 13:00.