AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

I think I'm in love...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I think I'm in love...
HOM
The Elder™

2005-04-27, 20:11

OH DEAR GOD!

Nokia introduced their fall '05 line of imaging and music phones today.

This bad boy, the N91 has, get this...
WCDMA (3G)
802.11b/g
Bluetooth
2 megapixel camera with auto focus
Updated Series 60 Platform

Oh, and did I mention the 4GB hard drive!
It supports, MP3, AAC (Raw), M4A (iTunes encoded NOT iTMS), AAC+, WMA, and it has a FM tuner with recording to the hard drive.

It's the same size as a standard 20GB iPod and has similar constant music playback (12 hours).

If it only had a better text entry method, it might very well be the perfect phone.

I've got my $$$ ready to go for this bad boy.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-04-27, 20:21

Bluetooth and WiFi don't really do it for me. . . with the reports of viri running loose over bluetooth phones, I'm a bit scared off.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-27, 20:22

That looks like the telephone equivalent of this:

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 20:27

Turn on all those wireless services and watch the battery life drop to 15 minutes.
HOM
The Elder™

2005-04-27, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That looks like the telephone equivalent of this:

It's a slider phone with dedicated music buttons.

For comparison's sake:

20GB iPod = 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.57
N91 = 4.5 x 2.1 x 0.89

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-27, 20:35

It does look much better with the slider closed up...

I might consider picking one of those up...so long as it doesn't cost as much as my next Power Mac, that is.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-27, 20:36

I'm not referring to the size. I'm referring to the "bling" factor of it with the clear jewely buttons, uneven blue lighting behind the number pad buttons, and the various types of shiny reflective surfaces.

I never said there was anything wrong with it; that's just not my cup of tea.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-04-27, 20:42

Feature wise, that phone looks awesome. But aesthetically, I agree with brad.

That said, I don't think I'd really want a 4GB hard drive in my phone, seems like it would just slow the phone down when doing basic tasks like address book and stuff.

I think 512mb of RAM or maybe 1 GB of RAM is more practical for an mp3 player phone.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-27, 20:43

I'm not a cell phone vanity man but if I were, Razr all the way. Brad's right IMHO; this thing is gaudy looking.
HOM
The Elder™

2005-04-27, 20:51

The MobileBurn photo's do make it look overly shinny.

PhoneScoop has better shots.

SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-27, 20:55

You're right; those shots do make it look a lot better. IMO, the N91 kinda resembles a smallish household cordless handset when the slider is open.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-04-27, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I think 512mb of RAM or maybe 1 GB of RAM is more practical for an mp3 player phone.
And I'd love to watch as my settings, music, and anything else I've loaded into my phone is taken out everytime my battery dies.

Me thinks you mean flash memory.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 21:03

That phone is like, totally ring bling.

Okay, serious Q: my wife and I are looking at new phones/carrier, and have pretty much settled on Verizon due to various needs... but Verizon doesn't have any BT enabled phones that are iSync supported. What are the options for buying a supported BT phone elsewhere, then starting a new contract with Verizon? I've only seen phone prices with contracts, so have no idea what sort of prices we're looking at if we go this route, but thought I'd check it out anyway.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-04-27, 21:06

HOM, don't let the haters get to you. Not my thing either, but if you want an all in one, this looks like a great phone. It's not fantastic looking, but Nokia does a pretty good job with design, IMHO. How much will it be?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-04-27, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

Okay, serious Q: my wife and I are looking at new phones/carrier, and have pretty much settled on Verizon due to various needs... but Verizon doesn't have any BT enabled phones that are iSync supported. What are the options for buying a supported BT phone elsewhere, then starting a new contract with Verizon? I've only seen phone prices with contracts, so have no idea what sort of prices we're looking at if we go this route, but thought I'd check it out anyway.
Kick,

I've had verizon. Just stay away. They have the worst phones out there. Their only phone with bluetooth, the Mot v710, is crippled intentionally. If you must get a verizon, come on over to southpoint and I'll give you either of my verizon phones for free and you can go month to month. To my knowledge, there are NO phones that will work on verizon's network that are BT enabled. You've got some phone flexibility with the GSM providers (Cingular and T-Mo). But not with Verizon.

I've got cingular now and I've been very happy with them. Rollover minutes is fantastic. I never need to worry about going over now.

But I'm serious about my phones. Just come by and pick 'em up and their yours.
HOM
The Elder™

2005-04-27, 21:09

Quote:

None.

There are no CDMA phones (Verizon & Sprint) that support iSync over BT. You can use Moto's phones via USB, but the phone book licks unbleached ass and both carriers insist that the bluetooth profiles are crippled. On the Moto V710 you cannot send files back and forth between computer and phone via BT. You can send files to the TransFlash card, but the newest firmware prevents those files being transferred to the phone. So no MP3 ringtones or custom graphics unless you pay Verizon for them.

However, Moto phones are very hackable. Last time I looked at the V710 there was progress being made hacking a Canadian firmware that has uncrippled bluetooth. Still won't sync over BT, but it will let you send files back and forth.

Both Cingular and T-Mobile have uncrippled bluetooth phones that you can get a heavy subsidy on them.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 21:13

tori: dude, you're fantastic, I may take you up on that

HOM: Well, the *only* things I'd be using BT for would be iSync and Salling Clicker. I really could *not* care less about ringtones, MP3s, graphics... hell, I just want something that *makes and receives calls*. The rest is useless to me.
HOM
The Elder™

2005-04-27, 21:19

Quote:

HOM: Well, the *only* things I'd be using BT for would be iSync and Salling Clicker. I really could *not* care less about ringtones, MP3s, graphics... hell, I just want something that *makes and receives calls*. The rest is useless to me.
Then you're shit out of luck. Verizon's only bluetooth phone supports neither iSync nor Sailing Clicker via BT. It does support iSync via USB, but trust me, it's not worth it. The phone book is atrocious.

torifile, the haters ain't getting to me. Mac fans really are a bread apart. Here is a phone that does fucking everything and it's the same size as an iPod, but the buttons are too gaudy for them.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-04-27, 21:19

Quote:

I used to think that BT was just a nicety, but it's really pretty cool. I've been using BluephoneElite (thanks, HOM!) just to pair my phone with my powerbook. It tells me who's calling so I don't have to get off my lazy ass to see who it is. I can even ignore the call right there. Little things that make technology cool and useful. I love my BT.

edit: if you're free tomorrow morning, I'm taking the A.M. off from work to study for my licensing exam. I'm thinking of hitting up the B&N next door to the Apple store. I can bring the phones with me if you want. Lemme know...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 23:17

yeah, verizon phones suck... but their coverage can't be beat.
I have the v710... and I can't do anything with the BT. I was really looking forward to salling clicker as well...

Oh, and the moto phonebooks really suck, even with USB and iSync.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2005-04-27 at 23:22.
Amadeus

2005-04-28, 19:37

My wife uses Verizon because it has better coverage. Has an LG phone. Satisfied with the service.