User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Color Photography Sharing Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Photography Sharing Thread
Page 88 of 94 First Previous 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92  Next Last Thread Tools
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-05-14, 22:13

My wife and son and some steamed corn

Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-05-15, 19:12

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-05-19, 18:27

GSpotter
Veteran Member

2014-05-25, 13:03

There is a small lake a few miles from my home. I went there today, hoping to get some pictures of dragonflies, but instead I got home with some shots of a grey heron and an eurasian coot:

eurasian coot by iPhotograph, on Flickr

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2014-05-27, 13:45

Here's the grey heron:

grey heron by iPhotograph, on Flickr
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-06-11, 18:18

Shot some motor-cross yesterday, for the first time.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-06-12, 22:57

I finally upgraded my DSLR and went out and shot some railroad pictures and waterfalls in forests. Two of my favorite types of things to shoot.

Ricketts Glen State Park by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

DSC_0075 by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

DSC_0140 by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

IMG_0629 by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

IMG_0636 by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-06-20, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
Could have been posted almost in the black&white thread...

No post processing, the morning fog really looked like that.
That's awesome. How do you like the 50-200?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-06-20, 10:52

I really like those photos, kieran. A bit saturated for me but really nice composition.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2014-06-20, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
That's awesome. How do you like the 50-200?
With recent firmware updates, autofocus improved a bit. I didn't shoot much action yet (apart from the eurasian coot shot), so I'm still on the bottom of the learning curve regarding action photography with the E-M1 and 50-200, and it won't beat the D700 / 70-200 combo. On the other hand the bigger zoom range is well appreciated and the lens is really sharp. Bokeh can sometimes be a bit harsh, but this depends on the background distance and structure. I also got bad bokeh shots from the 70-200 sometimes. So I'd say it is a bit worse, but no deal breaker.

Although it feels quite big and heavy compared to my other lenses, the weight is just 2/3 of the 70-200 (and 1/3 of my old 400/3.5), so it is a perfect lens for going to the zoo etc. Previously, I carried 4.5kg of lenses, 1kg camera, 2.5 kg tripod, now I have lens then 2kg for camera with batterypack and lens to carry...

I still have no regrets switching to m43.

BTW: As this is the picture thread, I'll add another shot with the 50-200:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-06-20, 21:44

From my beach trip this week. I took a TON of photos and a few came out well. Most of them were family, etc. but several came out well enough that I'd be happy to print them and put them up on a wall.

This one, I went out to take one of those cliche beach sunset photos, just because I wanted to try out my new camera, and happened to see some lightning in the distance. I had no idea how to photograph the intermittent lightning so I just sat there and waited until I saw the it start and hit the shutter button. My technique could use lots of work, I'm sure, but I am happy I got anything at all.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-06-20, 22:00

Ok. One more. This is after my daughter's first ballet recital. No EXIF for some reason, but it was with my 25mm prime, shutter speed: 1/80, f/1.8, ISO 500.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-06-20, 23:05

No regrets not switching to m4/3s, still loving full frame and all the weight that comes with it. Back at the end of May I went on an all day workshop with a National Geographic Photographer, who lives on the west coast, and had a blast. This is one of the locations he showed the group.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-06-20, 23:20

Rob, do you think you can post your camera settings/Exif data with your shots? I'm curious and would like to learn how you do it. Thanks.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-06-21, 02:40

I always leave EXIF data embeded in my images, so if you have a Safari/Chrome/Firefox EXIF data plug-in you should be able to check. The last shot has a few factors to consider, that settings don't cover, although I will mention settings. Beyond settings, time of year, time of day, and water flow were a factor.

Gear and settings:
D800 + 24-70mm F2.8 at 24mm, F20, ISO100, 30 second exposure. I used a circular polarizer to cut down reflections on the water and foliage, which is important for getting this look.
White balance was set to shady, which I often use in dusk conditions, but still had to correct it in post. The as shot white balance was slightly blue, as blue hour conditions (blue hour is the hour after sunset) had set in. I could have set the K value manually, but find it easier to tweak in post since the light in the evening can change very quickly.
Time of year: Mid-late May, which is when the greens in the forest in the region are at the peak.
Time of day/weather: After dusk, with party clear sky.
Water flow: Due to recent snow melt and heavy rainfall the night before, the water was raging to say the least. It might be hard to believe, but that is a creek, not a major river.

I know, information overflow, but each one of those details played a roll in the final image. I hope that this information is helpful.

Last edited by PB PM : 2014-06-21 at 12:32.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-06-21, 07:32

Thanks for the explanation. Where were you standing?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-06-21, 12:36

I setup on a bridge, and got down as low as I could, without showing the guard rails. One of the first things I learned is that taking photos at eye level is boring. It isn't always possible, but I try to not shoot at eye level whenever I can. I find it very helpful when working from bridges, since it decreases the feeling of looking down at the scene.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-06-23, 07:23

Quote:
I really like those photos, kieran. A bit saturated for me but really nice composition.
Thanks. Some of them are a little overdone, but I was playing around with Aperture too.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-06-23, 18:49

Nice pics all around. I especially like, on this page, those beach shots by Torifile and the long exposure stream shot by PB. I like the mood especially of that first beach pic. Slow exposure water shots I have seen before, and done before, and they can be a nice although known thing, but there is something different and ethereal about that one PB. I appreciate all the work you put into getting it just right.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-06-23, 21:42

One more question about your stream shot, Rob, if you don't mind. I notice that you're using the wide end of your lens. I'm sure you've got other lenses that can shoot 24mm at f/2.8. Why did you choose that particular lens? The reason I ask is that I have a hard time deciding which lens to use when I have 2 lenses that cover a particular focal length and aperture. For instance, I've got a 17mm prime f/1.8 and a 12-40 f/2.8. In low light, it's not a question - the prime is the easy answer. But outside, when I don't need to stop down so far, I have a tough time deciding.

Optically, they seem the same in the 17mm range. At that point is it a matter of convenience? Yesterday, I was shooting at the park and I forced myself to go with the primes (17 or 45) so that I wouldn't get lazy and just zoom. But did I just make it harder than it needed to be? I figured I could focus on the shot and not futz with the zooming going with the 17mm. Thoughts from my more seasoned photog friends?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-06-24, 08:46

Took this of my new puppy at the breeder this weekend. Hopefully I get her in a few weeks.

Penny Puppy by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

Last edited by kieran : 2014-06-24 at 10:03.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-06-24, 09:17

Quote:
One more question about your stream shot, Rob, if you don't mind. I notice that you're using the wide end of your lens. I'm sure you've got other lenses that can shoot 24mm at f/2.8. Why did you choose that particular lens? The reason I ask is that I have a hard time deciding which lens to use when I have 2 lenses that cover a particular focal length and aperture. For instance, I've got a 17mm prime f/1.8 and a 12-40 f/2.8. In low light, it's not a question - the prime is the easy answer. But outside, when I don't need to stop down so far, I have a tough time deciding.
The answer is less exciting than you might think, because it depends on what else I want with me on a given outing. The camera bag used, and how much weight I'm willing to carry around are also factors. When it comes to picking a set of gear for an outing that's never easy, unless scouting of the shooting location has been done ahead of time. That is preferable, since it means you can take what you need, rather than guessing. For all around shooting, when I'm not sure what I'm going to encounter, the 24-70 F2.8 (equivalent to the 12-40mm) and 70-300mm VR zooms are packed. If I have something particular in mind I'll bring as little as possible, maybe just the 16-35mm VR, 50mm 1.8, 105mm macro or a F2.8 telephoto lens.

On the day I took the photo of the creek I wanted to carry specific equipment, because the workshop was kind of open ended. We were told to bring everything, which is not practical because a) it would be insanely heavy and b) There is not a bag out there that could manage all my gear anyway. On that outing I had two full frame bodies (less lens swapping, which is preferable when working around water), the 24-70, 105 macro and the 70-300. So the 24-70mm was what I had to work with on the wide end. As I said, not the most exciting reason.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-06-24, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Nice pics all around. I especially like, on this page, those beach shots by Torifile and the long exposure stream shot by PB. I like the mood especially of that first beach pic. Slow exposure water shots I have seen before, and done before, and they can be a nice although known thing, but there is something different and ethereal about that one PB. I appreciate all the work you put into getting it just right.
Thanks. That fishing shot was completely lucky. I was really frustrated by the light that morning because it was so hazy. But the haze does wonders for the photo. I wish that bucket weren't on the left side of the photo but it is what it is. I don't know anything about the fishermen - I suspect they were father and son on an outing to the beach since it is a family beach and it was father's day week. I think I'm going to print that one out and put it up in my office. I won't say I took it and just see how people like it. I like it a lot.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-07-10, 20:26

There is a story to this one. Some miles outside of Ottawa is a multi-level underground bunker complex that was built in the early 1960s and was intended for use by Canadian political and military officials in case of nuclear war. It remained staffed for many years, just in case, ready to receive the officials who could keep the country running after a nuclear attack - or what was left of the country. The bunker was decommissioned in the early 1990s and is now an interesting and impressive Cold War monument and museum, although pretty creepy too.

Anyway, here is where the officials would have taken a piss while the bombs flew, while everything and everyone they knew was being destroyed. Chilling.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-07-11, 04:52

I like that one a lot, Chinney. Have come back to it a few times already.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-07-13, 01:52

Took advantage of the super moon for this shot. D800 + Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 + 2X TC in DX crop mode.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-07-18, 21:42

Haven't gotten out a whole lot in the last few weeks, but I did like some of these that I did.

The picture of an iPhone taking a picture has been getting a lot of steam on Instagram lately. Figured I'd try it. Didn't come out too well. How could I have fixed this?

DSC_0079 by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

I also loved this little lighthouse in Maine.

Marginal Way Lighthouse. Ogunquit, Maine. #lighthouse #beach by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

And of course, my new puppy dog.

She wasn't happy with being in the pool. #vizsla #aperture #vscocam by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-07-18, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
The picture of an iPhone taking a picture has been getting a lot of steam on Instagram lately. Figured I'd try it. Didn't come out too well. How could I have fixed this?

DSC_0079 by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr
Set the iPhone's screen to maximum brightness, but even then I doubt it would work well in bright conditions like that. You are more likely to be successful in the evening or early morning when the brightness of the screen is brighter than the scene around it. Your other options is to take two photos, one of the scene exposed properly and then one of the phone exposed properly, then edit them together in an app like Pixelmator or Photoshop.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2014-07-19, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Haven't gotten out a whole lot in the last few weeks, but I did like some of these that I did.

In addition / as an alternative to PB PM's tipps, you could shoot in raw (as you will then have more wiggle room for modifications) and try to equalize the dark and light areas.

My photos @ flickr
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-07-19, 12:59

Yep, what GSpotter said. In this specific case, I would probably take the shot with optimal background exposure, maybe slightly overexposed, like 1/3 stop. Use the adjustment brush on the screen portion to push up the exposure locally. Lightroom will be smart enough to dodge only the part of the photo inside the rectangular border if you use the correct modifier key.

Last edited by Eugene : 2014-07-19 at 13:19.