Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Speaker Advice

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Speaker Advice
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-05-24, 22:59

I was just looking for some input on 2.1 speaker choices. I finally have a job, and I want to get a good 2.1 speaker set-up, instead of the wimpy Pro-speakers I have right now. I want to use it with my iMac and use it with the Powerbook that I will be getting for college. Currently I use the Sennheiser 212 Pro for music and gaming, so I do like good bass when need, but while listening to classical music they have too much bass. Fortunately enough for me I live on a steady diet of rock & rap along with Deltron, so the headphones serve their propiose well. Anywho I want something with a good thump that I can feel, but also something that is more flexible in the high-end. Basing my opinion from some of the reviews and specs I've seen online, the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 seem like they would be a good fit, but I manly ask for other systems that I should consider. Oh yea, I just hit another car, so I want to keep the price down under $200. Thoughts? Suggestions?

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-27, 02:06

Well, yes, the Klipsch ones are awesome. I saw them new at Amazon for about $150 a few days ago. You can also get used ones for $120-$130.

I am also into Yamaha speakers. Something about getting speakers from a music company rather than a computer peripherals company is comforting to me. That's why I avoided the very common choice of going with Logitech. I have a cheap 2.1 Yamaha set (YST-MS201) while my brother has the much larger 2.1 set that cost about $80. Don't remember the model number on that one. They have great sound quality, but I'm no audiophile so I can't really comment much on them.

He said I could buy his set when he got a Logitech z-560. They're not sold at many places, but they're available for under $100 on eBay. Basically, it's a 4.1 version of the z-2200, a 2.1 set. Funny enough, the 4.1 version is significantly cheaper than the 2.1 version. I really want to buy his set, not only for the improved sound quality but also for the headphone jack on the right satellite. I just can't stand being without an easy-access headphone jack, so I'm trying to replace mine (even though I really like them).
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-05-27, 03:10

DingDingDing

Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1
Look No Further.
I've worked in a certain store in a certain mall that displays many of the most popular speakers, hooked up to our favorite computers as well as the best selling digital music player, and I gotta say that when these speakers were first hooked up on the floor, all us semi-jaded ree-tale employ-eeeees were in agreement that these were the best we've ever heard, and that second place wasn't even close.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-05-27, 14:37

Out of curiosity, have you listened to the Monsoon MM1000 speakers? I was wondering how they stacked up against the Klipsch speakers you mentioned.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-28, 02:18

This thread sent me on an hour long research hunt on those Klipsch speakers. Nice indeed.

I may be missing something terribly obvious here - so please don't flame me for it, I never owned an iMac or used these speakers - but what about the iSub and Soundsticks for 2.1 computer audio? They're made by Harmon/Kardon who are not exactly slouches when it comes to audio gear. I don't know price or even if they are still available, but they might still fit the bill for you?

If you can keep away from hitting cars and can manage to save a few more "shekels", you might want to consider some of the models presented on this page. These are targeted toward MIDI/audio folk in production, so I'd expect the quality of these monitors to be more than decent!

Happy shopping!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-28, 04:10

Soundsticks aren't BAD... but given that they cost the same as Klipsch 2.1s, there's really no comparison. If they were $50 I would buy them. But at $100-$150, they're incredibly overpriced. Meanwhile, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers cost the same but their sound quality is FAR better.

Avoid Apple/Harman Kardon speakers. Again, not necessarily bad, but compared to what else is out there, you should be spending about 1/3 of what they charge.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-05-29, 20:20

I researched for a very long time and found the MS50 Yamaha speakers to have near perfect reviews and such a cheap price. And they really are INCREDIBLE

best 50 bux ever spent.

Thanks Luca for telling me about Yamaha.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-05-29, 21:56

i've been pleased with my JBL CREATURES
and the price has come down since i bought mine.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-05-30, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar
i've been pleased with my JBL CREATURES
and the price has come down since i bought mine.
I looked at the creatures too but they're slightly high for what they are.

They aren't very loud and the satellites only have one speaker, no tweeters and secondary 'thing' (dunno what it's called in english)

They do look very nice.

I read some reviews on it...you should check them too.

Again I highly recommend my yamaha ones, they used to be 179 bux but were 90 when I bought them and had a 35 rebate. They sound phenomenal.
n2nrn

2004-05-30, 11:16

I bought a Altec Lansing ATP3 2.1 setup.
They sound good to me and at $60 were in my price range.
If I could have gottten the Yamahas at around $60,
I would have, but they were $110 when I was shopping.
I'm still happy.

Jeff

For every problem there is a simple elegant solution, and it doesn't work.
H.L. Mencken
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-05-30, 15:40

I bought Apple Pro Speakers ($40) and an iSub ($40 or $60). They are impressive compared to other computer speakers, but like said they are not the best. I am hoping for digital audio capabilities on PowerBooks sometime soon, I feel I'm very limited by having to use sound from my mini stereo.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-31, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
...[snip]... I am hoping for digital audio capabilities on PowerBooks sometime soon, I feel I'm very limited by having to use sound from my mini stereo.
Absolutely - digital audio capabilities on a PB are sorely needed... it is meant to be a PowerBook after all.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-01, 23:04

Anyone have a recommendation for good quality (noise level is not important here) speakers with a headphone jack on them, for around $40-$60? It seems like all speakers are either crappy 2.1 systems that emphasize noise and booming sound over sound quality, or really expensive 5.1 or higher systems that are really more than I need. However, I'm only really familiar with Logitech's and Yamaha's lineups. Logitech has a headphone jack even on the low-end z-340, but those don't seem like my type. My current Yamaha YST-MS201s are great except no headphone jack, which I would really, REALLY like. Higher end Logitech speakers are all too expensive, and while Yamaha does have a few middle-of-the-road sets that fit my price range, the cheapest one that actually has a headphone jack is quite expensive and overkill for my needs.

I am not particularly familiar with Altec Lansing's offerings. What do they have available? I tried checking once and it seems as though they have so many speakers in their lineup that it's a bit overwhelming and hard to keep track of. I'm also not interested in Harman Kardon/JBL/Apple speakers, because they seem too expensive for what you get and they also don't have headphone jacks. I do have a pro speaker jack on my computer, but I don't want pro speakers.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2004-06-02, 04:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Anyone have a recommendation for good quality (noise level is not important here) speakers with a headphone jack on them, for around $40-$60? It seems like all speakers are either crappy 2.1 systems that emphasize noise and booming sound over sound quality, or really expensive 5.1 or higher systems that are really more than I need. However, I'm only really familiar with Logitech's and Yamaha's lineups. Logitech has a headphone jack even on the low-end z-340, but those don't seem like my type. My current Yamaha YST-MS201s are great except no headphone jack, which I would really, REALLY like. Higher end Logitech speakers are all too expensive, and while Yamaha does have a few middle-of-the-road sets that fit my price range, the cheapest one that actually has a headphone jack is quite expensive and overkill for my needs.

I am not particularly familiar with Altec Lansing's offerings. What do they have available? I tried checking once and it seems as though they have so many speakers in their lineup that it's a bit overwhelming and hard to keep track of. I'm also not interested in Harman Kardon/JBL/Apple speakers, because they seem too expensive for what you get and they also don't have headphone jacks. I do have a pro speaker jack on my computer, but I don't want pro speakers.

Luca, remember the Ms50 yamaha speakers I got? Those seem like what you are looking for. They in deed have a headphone jack and I can assure you they sound phenomenal. The only way I can explain their characteristic is that they seem to output music without much effort (as I've found altec lansing which seems to put a lot of effort) The result is a lot more relaxed pure sounds.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-02, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Absolutely - digital audio capabilities on a PB are sorely needed... it is meant to be a PowerBook after all.
So I'm not the only one who thinks so? Good, I thought I might have been

We won't see it till the G5 PB (whenever that shows up) but it'll get here.

Come waste your time with me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-02, 17:39

Steve - those are the same speakers my brother has. They are very good.

Then again, I really don't need the loudness. I'd even consider a high-quality 2.0 system since I don't need so much volume. Having good sound quality at a low volume is all I really need, and a large system is a drawback because of the extra bulk and weight.

My mom got a Logitech 2.0 system that sounds quite good at low to medium volumes. Fine if you're sitting right at the desk, which is all I need. Another option is the 2.0 version of the Yamaha speakers I have now.