Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

speaker system for PB

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
speaker system for PB
powdersnow87

2005-03-21, 15:36

Hi everyone,

I'm moving towards purchase of a 15" PowerBook, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a nice compatible speaker system for my dorm room (better than my old pc speakers + subwoofer). Can the PB handle digital speakers? I'm looking for somewhere between a really nice 2.1 system, to an affordable 5.1 system. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Jesse
nmkramer

2005-03-21, 15:53

I asked a similar question to this before... so allow me to answer.

The 15" Powerbook has a headphone port. The 17" Powerbook has digital audio in/out. So the 17" Powerbook can handle a 5.1 system, but the 15" needs something like this to work.

As far as a good speaker system, I am planning on buying the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 because they are great desktop speakers that look cool with a powerbook. Plus I don't need another sub.

Klipsch makes awesome looking and sounding 2.1 and 5.1 systems, as well.

I don't wanna go on a rant here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-21, 16:42

One suggestion, if you go with Klipsch, would be to buy the older ProMedia line instead of the newer ProMedia GMX line. The GMXs look kinda futuristic and stuff, but they're not nearly as powerful.

Another recommendation would be Logitech. I got a Z-560 set (4.1, not surround, just a front and rear stereo channel) for like $75 refurbed on eBay. It's extremely good, especially for the price. The sub is powerful (close to 200W) and each satellite is over 50W. You can easily use it in 2.1 mode or 4.1, if you choose to get that M-audio device. Logitech makes a 2.1 system similar to the Z-560, but it'll probably cost more than a refurbed Z-560 from eBay. So you may as well get the Z-560 and keep the other two satellites around in case you later decide to get the Sonica Theater.
powdersnow87

2005-03-21, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkramer
So the 17" Powerbook can handle a 5.1 system, but the 15" needs something like this to work.
Thanks for the responses. Does that device you linked to above degrade audio quality at all?