Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Pro MacOS X Tips

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Pro MacOS X Tips
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 17:28

Just ran across this... holy crap, I didn't know half of what's on this page!

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/

Keywords in Preview? Reveal in Finder directly from Spotlight dropdown menu?? Making pools of printers so it will grab the first available??

Wow.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-15, 17:49

First, thanks for the link.

Second, AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

I've been looking for a "what groups are they in" Address Book solution since Address Book arrived. Lo and behold, it's been there all along:

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/addressbook_groups.html

Anyway, this weekend's project is to update my 1,500-plus-name Address Book, so thanks for the well-timed tip/link. You probably just saved me about 5 hours of very tedious double-checking with my groups.
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-06-15, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
First, thanks for the link.

Second, AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

I've been looking for a "what groups are they in" Address Book solution since Address Book arrived. Lo and behold, it's been there all along:

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/addressbook_groups.html

Anyway, this weekend's project is to update my 1,500-plus-name Address Book, so thanks for the well-timed tip/link. You probably just saved me about 5 hours of very tedious double-checking with my groups.
That's a large ass Address Book. LOL. And they have all Leopard screenshots.... Leopard features?
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-15, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
... And they have all Leopard screenshots.... Leopard features?
I didn't see any mention of Leopard. I thought they were all Tiger tips?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-06-15, 19:41

Dag, that's amazing. Thanks!

I tend to follow MacOSXHints, but I'm certain I've not seen many of those there, either. (In fact, I smiled the other week when I randomly was searching for 'watch lists' and found an article there. I was reading it through, and thought to myself, 'I know this writing style,' and scrolled up to see who the author was... who was it? None other than Kickaha!)

You should submit this as an über-hint.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-06-15, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
'I know this writing style,'
That bad, huh?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-06-15, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
That bad, huh?
Naw, of course not. It was such an instantaneous reaction (me checking who the author was) that I was shocked it happened at all. I had to deliberately think through my thought process to realize why I scrolled up. I was curious myself... and could never pin it down to any certain thing. I know I looked up as soon as I hit the spurious/suffice combo, but I think it was more just a general feeling I was listening to someone I knew.

I just took the time to browse through most of them... my favorites:

All new to me.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-17, 11:30

Quote:
I was reading it through, and thought to myself, 'I know this writing style,' and scrolled up to see who the author was... who was it? None other than Kickaha!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
That bad, huh?
Quote:
Naw, of course not. It was such an instantaneous reaction (me checking who the author was) that I was shocked it happened at all. I had to deliberately think through my thought process to realize why I scrolled up. I was curious myself... and could never pin it down to any certain thing. I know I looked up as soon as I hit the spurious/suffice combo, but I think it was more just a general feeling I was listening to someone I knew.
Ah, well... for 'me', a dead give-away would be the word I've put in bold in the first sentence of his post:

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Quote:
I've been appreciative of the work folks have put into creating scripts to change a computer's Location based on, most often, detected SSIDs...

haha

(A telltale remnant, perhaps, of all those years in North Carolina. )
Chris - My First Mac

2007-06-20, 15:28

Here's another helpful site I just came across:

http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/

It's geared towards creatives, but casts a wide net.