User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Crucial RAM for a 15inch PB?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Crucial RAM for a 15inch PB?
HazelGirl

2005-12-18, 01:09

I don't have one yet but I see one in the future. Just trying to decide whether I should go with base RAM when I get it and then manually upgrade with Crucial or just go ahead and max out the RAM thru Apple. I am a girl whos not into the whole physical labor part of technology. I had to get my Daddy ot remove and install a HD for my failing PC laptop over the summer . I can't even use a screw driver...lol. Anyway, is installing RAM easy for those like me or is it worth it to just go ahead and upgrade thru Apple? Is it really that much cheaper? Doing so does not void he warranty or anything right? Thanks.

I really want a Mac.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-12-18, 01:11

installing ram is very easy. crucial is a better buy then the apple store. u do not void warranty.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-18, 01:16

Yeah, RAM is brain-dead easy to install.

All you have to do is remove four little screws:

and pop in/out the RAM:

Welcome to AppleNova!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
HazelGirl

2005-12-18, 01:28

oh man...guess i'll have to go out and get a screw driver!

hey what do y'all do with the ram that originally comes wiht hte system? Oh, btw, I did a price check my own self and WOW you are right it is significantly cheaper to buy third party than upgrade thru apple...even with student discount! whoa!

Also, do y'all upgrade the hd also or do you just do that thru apple?

I really want a Mac.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-18, 01:41

You cannot replace the hard drive or optical drive yourself without voiding the warranty. It is suggested that you order those configured as you'll want them unless you want to pay an authorized Apple technician to install it for you later.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
HazelGirl

2005-12-18, 01:55

aah okay. thanks. oh, any recs on a particular brand of screw driver that would work well for removing the screws when upgrading the ram?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-18, 01:57

That would be a #0 Phillips screwdriver, also sometimes called a jewler's screwdriver. It's pretty tiny.
HazelGirl

2005-12-18, 02:12

okay thanks. willkeep all this info in mind for when I finally do get my first Mac. It'll definitely be a graduation present. :-)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-18, 02:43

You can get that #0 Phillips screwdriver from practically any major hardware store in a small screwdriver kit, often like ones you'd use for repairing eyeglasses. Here's the kit I've used for years. It cost me about $7.

holbox

2005-12-18, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
You can get that #0 Phillips screwdriver from practically any major hardware store in a small screwdriver kit, often like ones you'd use for repairing eyeglasses. Here's the kit I've used for years. It cost me about $7.

Good set. I sold hundreds of them!
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-12-18, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox
Good set. I sold hundreds of them!
I own one of those sets! Not bought from you though.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-18, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
I own one of those sets!
Doesn't everyone?

Well, everyone who turns screws in computers, anyway...
Dima

Send a message via ICQ to Dima  
2005-12-18, 12:36

My advice - go for RadioShack and buy a screwdriver there. I had 2 of these red "good" sets for repairing glasses mentioned here - the screwdriver that is in there helped me in nothing but scratching the memory door and finally when I pushed too hard - it just broke in 2 pieces. Better spend 5$ more and get a screwdriver you can trust.
scrouds

2005-12-18, 16:32

wow, i never pay more then $1 for those sets. look in a dollar store near you.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-12-18, 16:47

Damn. All this talk heated debate over screwdrivers

I just use the pointy end of my swiss-army knife. but hey don't listen to me, my PC's motherboard has scorch marks and scratches from a power tool. But it still works
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-18, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It cost me nothing to get one since we have some around the house from eyeglass repair kits. At first I was looking like crazy in my tool kit for something small enough then I thought to try the eyeglass ones, and low and behold it worked.