User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Does anyone here receive spam in their .Mac email account?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does anyone here receive spam in their .Mac email account?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-29, 10:28

I have been a .Mac member since it started (two/three years ago - can't recall exactly when) and have never had spam come into my mail box until this year.

I personally think it was my brother who unwittingly passed on my .mac email address to a distant relative. I *think* but can't really prove it (and it doesn't really matter now anyway ) that his computer was infected and my email address was obtained from his Mail program and sent out to some spam mailing list.

Anyway, I'm getting spam now in my once pristine .Mac account and it is pissing me off. Addressed directly to me.

Is anybody else getting this spam by any chance also?

If so, or even if you have received spam like this in the past, what has been your course of action?

TIA
Mac+

PS - I saw a pscates2.0 thread on this topic but it was very old (2004) and didn't want to bump it.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Bancho

2006-03-29, 11:07

It's rare if ever for me to get any sort of spam in my inbox. I get a few Mail will flag as potential junk, but most of those are commercial mails I don't mind receiving. I've found mail to be pretty solid in that regard so far.
digitalAngel

Send a message via AIM to digitalAngel Send a message via Yahoo to digitalAngel  
2006-03-29, 13:14

i get maybe up to 5 spam messages a day with my .mac email address.. but it's my own fault for signing up some where with that email address. i use my gmail for online accounts and such now

i have sent some messages to spam@mac.com and eliminated some really presistant spammers.

i Believe, that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade.
And try to find somebody who's life gives them vodka, and have a party!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 13:15

Yeah, I get spam in my mac account, but I never realize it because it's always caught by Mail's spam filter.

Some do manage to sneak by the filter for my applenova and university accounts, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-29, 13:37

Generally not, except recently I've been getting a couple emails a day entitled "Re: Hi ([x])" and the body is an ad for all those erection meds.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-29, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, I get spam in my mac account, but I never realize it because it's always caught by Mail's spam filter.

Some do manage to sneak by the filter for my applenova and university accounts, though.
I don't mind if I get spam in my Uni or gmail accounts ... but my mac account was only ever for close relatives and trusted sources. My Junk filter is learning to catch them, but it bugs me immensely to think that I have been added to some crappy list.

Is there anything I can do to ensure I'm removed from this list (b/c I fear that this list will be shared with some other spam server in the future) or do I just have to shut up about it (not confirm that I am receiving the email by not replying) and hope that it does not get any worse? To me it seems like the first crack in my once solid armour of Mail integrity.

twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2006-03-29 at 19:23.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-29, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Generally not, except recently I've been getting a couple emails a day entitled "Re: Hi ([x])" and the body is an ad for all those erection meds.
These are exactly the type of Mails I am receiving also - so now I am wondering, was it the passing on of my .mac email address (by my brother, I will add again) to my distant relative or have these spammers infiltrated Apple's servers somehow and managed to score a few .Mac email accounts directly?

Also, can't Apple head these types of emails off before they reach our accounts? (I know that might sound a bit naΓ―ve, but I thought this was something they prided themselves on originally.)

I'd sure like to know if anybody else has received these "Re: Hi ([x])" erection med emails in their mac account recently.
(I presume that sentence has just ensured I'll get murbot in here with a smart arse response now. )

twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-29, 19:53

digitalAngel - that email address spam@mac.com looks promising, but I want to confirm that it is real before I start forwarding what I receive. I'm trawling through the online Mail help now to find where it is mentioned.

Usually I would prefer not to respond directly to spam, lest it catches me and locks me in their spam loop, but if this is "legit" and it will help Apple "head such spam off at the pass" so to speak, then I'll give it a shot.

twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-03-29, 20:27

Mac+, it's really interesting that you ask that now..

I have been 100% Spam free for a couple of years and in the last month or so I have started to get the odd one trickle through.

I do not give my .mac email address out anywhere where it may be harvested, so these have to have come from some other means.. Very frustrating as it feels a bit like the first drops of water coming through a mile high dam!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-29, 20:31

scratt - yes, this is exactly how I feel. But now with confirmation from you and Dave, I'm beginning to think that maybe my email address wasn't obtained from my distant relative. and then

twitter
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-03-29, 20:37

I'm gonna give that spam@mac.com email address a try, as it sounds like people have had some real success with that.

It is strange that all of a sudden people are starting to get them, and the same emails as well.. Impotence and stuff.

I wonder if this is only affecting AppleNovians? Or is it affecting all .mac people?
Just a thought...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-29, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
digitalAngel - that email address spam@mac.com looks promising, but I want to confirm that it is real before I start forwarding what I receive. I'm trawling through the online Mail help now to find where it is mentioned.
Right here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86684
Quote:
Why was I "spammed" at my .Mac Mail address?

[...]

You can also report any spam to .Mac system administrators by sending the message along with full source headers to spam@mac.com. A .Mac administrator will examine the message and headers. If the message is verified to be spam, that message will be filtered at the server before it reaches your mailbox.

[...]
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-03-29, 21:17

Thanks Brad - I was obviously looking in the wrong spot - spam on the Mail help files via the web netted zip.

Feeling confident to send them off now. Thanks to digitalAngel as well.

twitter