Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Watching TV @ Work

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watching TV @ Work
autodata
hustlin

2004-10-11, 12:08

Something I've noticed this summer is that as streaming video has become more widespread, I see more and more people watching TV shows, news, etc on their computers here at work. I'm not complaining (hell, I'm posting to an from work), I just wonder where it will end up.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-11, 12:12

Well, if it becomes widespread enough that it starts impacting the network (and costing the company money), I'm sure an admin will catch wind of what's going on and will start blocking ports or users.

I'm sure the higher-ups wouldn't be too happy to hear about that.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
autodata
hustlin

2004-10-11, 12:20

It's a university, so they are all about streaming video. It's been the great new thing to everyone here over the past few years and the university streams all sorts of stuff.

You know, the first really big day of streaming news was 9/11. BBC had the best stream and then the university started streaming all of the networks and we put it up on projectors in some of the conference rooms.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-11, 12:25

Sigh...on days like this, I WISH I could watch TV at work.

Our deadline was last week and we ALWAYS go through this 3-4 day "regroup" period it seems, where the week following a deadline is ridiculously slow and quiet, so much so that I'm considering jumping out the window and making a break for it.

I'd love to "watch TV" today! Maybe some reruns of "The Pretender" or "Law & Order: SVU"...

We do have a cable connection in the other room. On days like this, I should bring my EyeTV box in, run a cable from the other room, hook the box to my G4 and keep myself entertained!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-10-11, 13:42

I've got a few friends whose iPod contains every Simpsons ep ever made (via P2P).

Want to watch a little known guest star during coffee break? Instant gratification.

Mmmmmm.... gratification. </homer>

As for corporate policy (aside from bandwidth issues), listening to radio seems acceptable at many offices (for some jobs, not all), but it is relatively easy to argue that audio-only distractions don't kill productivity as fast as the full idiot box experience.

The friend I used to have at a webcasting company (streaming conferences, events, nightly newscasts, etc) is expected to have a video window open at all times and might get strange looks without one.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-11, 15:07

ummm....
how big is that iPod and what would it take to get a copy? :drool:
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-10-11, 16:24

I used to have a teacher in high school who always watched TV while grading our tests and doing other paperwork. She said she was such a multitasking persona, the TV "background noise" helped her work. I believe if you put her in a company office, she'd still watch TV and be more productive for it.