User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 1 of 33 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-27, 15:43

Justified. Have you guys seen it yet? I'm a huge fan of Timothy Olyphant from watching Deadwood lately. This show is based on a novel by Elmore Leonard. From what I've seen so far in the first two episodes, the action is great and the writing is strong. It's definitely going to be a great backend to Lost the next few months.

(Mods, feel free to move this post to an already established tv thread. I couldn't find one.)
Windswept
On Pacific time

2010-03-27, 18:42

I've mentioned this elsewhere before, but I really like the British show called MI-5. It's so exciting and has me chewing my nails in every episode. It's the kind of very rare show where the main characters actually get killed on a regular basis. It's called something else in other parts of the country. I have a major crush on Rupert Penry-Jones. Yum, what a cutie!
Alex London

2010-03-27, 19:22

Is that your name for Spooks? I guess it is. I watched that show for a while before it drove me mad with its half-arsed air of insane unreality and lazy cynicism.I used to know a spook, she drank like a fish and had difficulty keeping her knickers on around every man except me. Hmm.....
iDaver

2010-03-28, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Justified. Have you guys seen it yet?
Liked the second episode. The first was just a little too shockingly violent. But then so was Deadwood sometimes and I loved it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-28, 02:24

Quote:
(Mods, feel free to move this post to an already established tv thread. I couldn't find one.)
Not sure if there's a generic TV show thread, but there's also this: "Justified"...new made-for-cable series on FX. Anyone watch premiere episode?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-28, 04:09

Yeah, I'm a fan of this new show.

Mythbusters is back on Wednesdays, with new episodes (still no Kari).

Stuff I like:

- "Justified"
- "How It's Made"
- "Chelsea Lately"
- "Mythbusters"
- "Jeopardy!"
- "Law & Order: Criminal Intent"
- "Burn Notice" and "Psych" on USA

That's pretty much it. Bear in mind none of the above are really "must see" fare. I like to watch them, if I'm home and remember (or I'm not doing anything else). But I don't really plan my life around them, or go out of my way to make sure I'm home.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm kinda over "SVU" at this point. I've seen them all in recent years, mainly thanks to USA's frequent marathons and regularly-scheduled syndicated runs.

PS - And I'll sometimes watch those syndicated "NCIS" episodes on USA, just in case there's one where Ziva and Abby engage in a furious make-out session. I'd hate to miss that...
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-28, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Not sure if there's a generic TV show thread, but there's also this: "Justified"...new made-for-cable series on FX. Anyone watch premiere episode?
Ah, whoops. Well, I think we needed a tv thread anyway.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-03-28, 09:10

I watch "Bones" and "House. Sometimes "Iron Chef America" when the food is something I eat, and "Good Eats" if I'm not busy. That's it.
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-03-28, 13:54

Breaking Bad. Hard core.

I love Elmore Leonard's dialogue, so I'm definitely going to check out Justified.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-28, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Breaking Bad. Hard core.

I love Elmore Leonard's dialogue, so I'm definitely going to check out Justified.
And vice versa. I need to watch Breaking Bad. I've only heard good things.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-03-28, 15:08

I haven't been keeping up with the latest season, but I always dug the fact that, unlike most procedural cop shows/CSI/etc, at least "Numb3rs" has real math. Nerd tv maybe.

I dug "The Unit" for the first couple of seasons, but it completely jumped the shark by the end of season 3 and start of season 4.

Heroes was great to start, but like Lost seemed to lose its way in Season 2. Might be worth pursuing again in back-to-back form via d/l or box set.

(The Wire was awesome, but here in the UK was shown at midnight on a spotty schedule, so the only way to really dig in was marathon sessions via d/l.)

"The Mentalist" is fun at times... mostly for the writing and the character dynamics.

And cuties in each of the above shows.

I have friends who keep trying to turn me on to Dexter...

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-03-28, 15:44

Shows I'm watching:

Family Guy
American Dad
Cleveland Show
House
Leverage
Dogtown
It's Me Or The Dog
Fringe
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Ben 10: Alien Force
South Park
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-28, 16:36

Quote:
And vice versa. I need to watch Breaking Bad. I've only heard good things.
The promos to this show always scare me, or creep me out.

I've stumbled across 2-3 episodes, and it's a fairly grim, bleak little show.

Kinda makes "The Shield" look like "Full House".
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-28, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
You know what? That is a good, entertaining show! I can't believe it, but it is.

Seriously...if the theatrical, live-action prequels (Natalie, Ewan, etc.) would've had this much snap, heart and pacing, they wouldn't be nearly as despised/ridiculed.

I don't always catch them, but when I stumble across it I always stop what I'm doing to watch. I think the stories/plots are quite engaging and exciting, and the humor isn't forced (and doesn't rely on lame slapstick). And the clones (and Kenobi) are bad-asses!

I really do enjoy this show.

And even though it's quite stylized (the humans, anyway...their faces and hair), I love the animation and overall look...it's great fun to watch! Any episode I've seen (maybe 6-8, total) has been 10x more enjoyable and exciting than "The Phantom Menace" or "Attack of the Clones".

I think the secret is that Anakin isn't as much of a slap-worthy punk (as portrayed by Hayden Christensen), Jar Jar and Threepio are generally nowhere to be found (that's key) and they don't shy away from characters killing the shit out of each other when plot/circumstances demand so.

It's more like the original films than anything Lucas has done since 1999, that's for sure.

It's kinda sad that an animated TV show that nobody really watches is that much better of an installment to the "Star Wars" saga than any of the boneheaded prequels...
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-03-28, 16:52

Archer.

Funniest show on TV, hands down.
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-03-28, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The promos to this show always scare me, or creep me out.

I've stumbled across 2-3 episodes, and it's a fairly grim, bleak little show.

Kinda makes "The Shield" look like "Full House".
Oh, absolutely, it's grim as shit. But it's also funny as hell, fantastically well acted and written, and doesn't cheat on its premise or consequences.

That last bit, about not cheating, is what seals the deal for me. Most TV could care less about following through on premises or plot points or stuff like recognizable human behavior, so when I see a show that honors all of those things (even if it leads to terrible things) I'm in.

But I mean, come one: nerdy and somewhat unfulfilled high school chem teacher turns to cooking up high quality meth to pay his doctor bills and provide for his family when he finds out he has terminal lung cancer? And spirals into a nightmare underworld of brutality and desperation, while keeping up appearances as a loving husband and father? With a sketchy former student as a side kick? What's not to like?

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-28, 20:07

Another show I've been watching this season is Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It's a real guilty pleasure. It's available on Netflix: Watch Instantly, but actually a Starz show. It's basically 300 amped up about 10 notches with excessive and gratuitous nudity and violence. Definitely not for the faint of heart. The actor who plays Spartacus, Andy Whitfield, was recently diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but they caught it early. I'm hoping he pulls through. He definitely could have a big career ahead of him.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-03-28, 20:16

Modern Family
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-03-29, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
You know what? That is a good, entertaining show! I can't believe it, but it is.
I know! I was as surprised as anybody to learn that The Clone Wars is a solid show with good stories and good characters. And a lot of people probably dismiss it without watching it because on the surface it looks like it's a "post episode 1, 2 and 3 continuation of epic suckiness" thing, but it really isn't. If the movies had been like this show, they would have been great.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-29, 00:22

I like Psych, though the fourth season was too serious. Hopefully they bring back the funny for season five.

I like House, but I haven't watched it in forever. Same with The Office, which was feeling sort of shark-jumpy when I quit.

Oh, and Weeds. (And Lost, duh.) That's pretty much it. I don't watch a lot of TV.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-29, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I know! I was as surprised as anybody to learn that The Clone Wars is a solid show with good stories and good characters. And a lot of people probably dismiss it without watching it because on the surface it looks like it's a "post episode 1, 2 and 3 continuation of epic suckiness" thing, but it really isn't. If the movies had been like this show, they would have been great.
i concur.

as for my regulars: Lost, The Office, 30 Rock. Haven't had time for House or 24 this season but I'll get caught up when they hit netflix
Foj
Veteran Member

2010-03-29, 08:02

Recently I've been watching reruns of In the Heat of the Night.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2010-03-31, 22:08

I used to *really* like the Sharpe episodes that played on PBS. There was another episode this past Sunday night on Masterpiece Classic. I think it was called "Sharpe's Challenge," and it was 2 hours. (Sharpe was a British rifleman in 1803 during the Napoleonic Wars.)

I can't figure out why I wasn't that crazy about this episode, but I wasn't. Maybe it was partly that the setting (supposedly India in 1814) had so much dust always being kicked up by horses hooves or just by soldiers walking through, so that the cinematography took a real beating.

The author of the book version (Bernard Cornwell) is really quite exceptional and writes great stories, but this particular screenplay seemed to miss the mark with regard to plot and suspense. It was strange.

Plus, I had to struggle to make out what virtually *all* the people were saying. Sharpe himself (Sean Bean) spoke with an accent that was often hard to understand; the French soldiers and the Indian characters all spoke English with accents that were sometimes very difficult to make out.

I think the screenplay seemed disjointed, and skipped around from one thing to another without engaging the viewer.

I'm writing all this because, as I said, I was puzzled that I didn't get caught up by a story that I used to like so much, and I'm trying to figure out why.

Anyone else see Sunday's episode? There's another coming up this coming Sunday, and I hope I won't be disappointed again. My expectations will be much lower this time, that's for sure.

About MI-5, I suppose I'll eventually get sick of it, but I've only been watching for a while at this point, and I still get caught up in the tension of the stories.

The storylines don't seem all that unreal to me, but maybe that's because they take place in a location and (spy) culture with which I'm not all that familiar, so any unreality I sense I probably chalk up to the fact that it's a foreign locale/culture to begin with, so it doesn't bother me as much as it might.
murbot
Hoonigan

2010-04-01, 07:34

Breaking Bad is pretty much the only show I'm watching besides The Ultimate Fighter (which just got going last night). I love that show!

Funny thing is, I've never actually seen it on TV. Yay for time shifting with Pirate Bay. :P
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2010-04-01, 10:09

my dvr schedule is:

breaking bad (local show...gah, all the extras are real albuquerque crack heads...ha, and i've had a few friends on the show too...i guess i have a few "questionable" friends... )

modern family (everyone thinks the dad was modeled after me...even before last nights iPad show...now they just think it is too obviously me and wonder if they secretly film me at home)

30 rock
lost
archer
south park
simpson
family guy

i rarely watch anything in real time....real time is for suckers

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
CFP

2010-04-04, 17:47

I got out of the habit of watching TV when I was living in Spain. Not so much a language issue as a quality issue! Dear God, how many gossip shows and dubbed imports does a country need?

Saying that, now I'm back in the UK I really only watch two programs. The first is QI. I'm not sure if you get this quiet gem in the US, or if there's a franchised version, but it's great! Stephen Fry (a legend), four usually pretty good UK/US comedians and a lot of random titbits of interestingly useless information. Good if you're a bit of a geek and like endless trivia and winning pub quizzes

The other is Wife Swap USA. Soooooo much better than the dull UK one. I know I probably shouldn't like it, and that it's stage managed and manipulated and obvious... I don't care! Five minutes and I'm gripped.

Wait, scrap what I was saying before about issues of quality...

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-04, 17:57

Hey, Windswept...I watched that Sharpe thing last Sunday night. Good, enjoyable stuff. I'd never seen any others (and didn't even know about them), but Sean Bean is usually in good, watchable stuff.
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2010-04-05, 05:43

Is anyone watching The Pacific? What I've seen so far has been pretty amazing.
Is it 1981?

2010-04-05, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
Saying that, now I'm back in the UK I really only watch two programs. The first is QI. I'm not sure if you get this quiet gem in the US, or if there's a franchised version, but it's great! Stephen Fry (a legend), four usually pretty good UK/US comedians and a lot of random titbits of interestingly useless information. Good if you're a bit of a geek and like endless trivia and winning pub quizzes
QI is definitely one of the best things on UK television; where you can answer the question "How old are you?" and lose points for technically being wrong (the idea behind the question being that cells and every part of your body regenerate and are replaced on a semi-regular basis, but not all at the same time – an adult's body can usually expect to last 7-10 years).

I love it

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-04-05, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambrennan View Post
Is anyone watching The Pacific? What I've seen so far has been pretty amazing.
I am. First time I ever subscribed to HBO. I was hoping for a repeat of BoB's but so far this is not even close as good. Last night's episode was a little slow too--so that makes the last two very slow.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!