User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Getting iTunes to recognize a USB CD Burner

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Getting iTunes to recognize a USB CD Burner
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-06-18, 14:45

Hey all. I'm trying to help a friend with a 333 Mhz original model iMac running 10.2.8 to get iTunes to recognize a USB CD burner she got. It came with some software that claims that it supports iTunes burning but and it says to disable the Authoring Support though it doesn't tell how. The burner is an Iomega CD-RW 52x/DVD-ROM combo USB 2.0 External drive. Burning data and supposedly audio works with the bundled software but my friend wants to use iTunes (who doesn't lol). Can any1 help?

E-Mail: shiggymiyamoto@gmail.com
Formerly known as Proud iBook Owner 2k2 at AppleInsider.com's Forums
Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-18, 15:09

Authoring Support was an extension that OS9 needed to do Finder and iTunes burning. It conflicted with the Toast extensions.

In order to burn with that drive in OSX you need Patch Burn. It will allow iTunes to recognize and use your Iomega drive. However, do not try burning the disks at any speed fast than 4x. You'll end up with a ton of coasters that way.

EDIT: That link to Patch Burn that I posted above seems to only be for Panther and you are running Jaguar. Here (.sit) is the link for the Jaguar version.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-18, 15:09

on my imac lime i had an external cd burner all i had to do was plug it in (of course that was os9 and itunes 2) and it worked
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-18, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsblowsass
on my imac lime i had an external cd burner all i had to do was plug it in (of course that was os9 and itunes 2) and it worked
And this is neither helpful nor relevant at all.

ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-06-18, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Authoring Support was an extension that OS9 needed to do Finder and iTunes burning. It conflicted with the Toast extensions.

In order to burn with that drive in OSX you need Patch Burn. It will allow iTunes to recognize and use your Iomega drive. However, do not try burning the disks at any speed fast than 4x. You'll end up with a ton of coasters that way.

EDIT: That link to Patch Burn that I posted above seems to only be for Panther and you are running Jaguar. Here (.sit) is the link for the Jaguar version.
SCORE! Thanks HOM! You're awesome. Thanks for bringing your awesomeness here from .com. lol I'll have her try it and I'll post back here and I'll tell what happens.

Naruto and Sasuke get it on! http://darwinanime.kicks-ass.net:81/..._to_Naruto.jpg <--- Ohhh YEAH!
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-06-18, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM

Yeah, well:

Helpful posts aren't exactly in his nature.

whatchagonna do.

windowsblowsass

Send a message via AIM to windowsblowsass  
2004-06-18, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM

its relevant becase i had an external burer on the same type of computer as him and i was saying that it required no setup therefor there maybe a proble,
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-06-18, 21:30

Quote:
its relevant becase i had an external burer on the same type of computer as him and i was saying that it required no setup therefor there maybe a proble,
i had an external burer, but the doctor burned it off, and gave me some salve.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-18, 22:49

Quote:
I'll play nice.

If you were using the same burner, you never mentioned which burner you were using, or perhaps one with the same mechanism, that would be helpful. If you were running the same OS, you said it was under Mac OS 9 and SM clearly stated in the first line that he was running 10.2.8, that would be helpful. Lacking those two aspects, your posts was neither relevant nor helpful.

I hope that clears it up for you. In the future, it is better to give no advice than to give bad advice.

Oh, and SM, threads like these should go in GB in the future.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
ShiggyMiyamoto

2004-06-18, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Oh, and SM, threads like these should go in GB in the future.

OK. I only posted it here because it involved third party hardware/software.

BTW: My friend downloaded and tried to get the PatchBurn thing working but so far to no avail. iTunes keeps saying that it can't find a supported writer. We then read the readme and it says that it needs 256 MB of RAM or more... and she's only got 96... I guess I should have mentioned that before. Is there another solution that has a lighter RAM requirement?

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-22, 21:03

96MB of RAM with OS X? Someone kill me now!!!!

Stock up on RAM if she's gonna actually use that computer.

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2004-06-22 at 21:14. Reason: rephrasing
ShiggyMiyamoto

2004-06-22, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
What the heck OS is she running on only 96mb of RAM?

Stock up on RAM if she's gonna actually use that computer.
Heh.. Yeah.. She's running OS X 10.2.6 or so... I'm surprised it even runs at all... It's an original generation iMac/333 MHz with like a 4 GB HD or something. I'm doing a followup on Friday and I'll give you guys the lowdown on her system specs then. In fact, she called me again tonight and we talked about getting more RAM for her comp.. It's gonna be pricey... She's got a family owned Apple reseller not far from her and they're really good. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Stewy

2005-09-14, 14:39

I have a related problem:

External IOMEGA CDRW 23042 EXT3-B USB burner will not burn from Finder. It is OK from iTunes and iPhoto, and reads any discs inserted - but I can't make normal data discs.

Tried to install Apple's DiscReader and PatchBurn 3, but both said this Mac does not need the software. The drive is "Apple Supported" in the About the Mac menu.

I had a workaround when using OS 10.2 but the up to 10.3.9 seems to have killed it.

Any ideas or other things to try?
flail

2005-09-14, 15:33

[Han Solo]
Where did you dig up that old fossil?
[/Han Solo]

If I were you, I'd try Toast, just because finder's burning has failed me before.