Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Saving up for an iMac or PowerBook or iBook
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Dave.m55

Send a message via ICQ to Dave.m55 Send a message via MSN to Dave.m55  
2005-05-06, 11:51

Hi all,
just registered pretty recently...

I've been a pc user for most of my life, but I'm getting tired of them to be honest, looking for a more stable and reliable system ( that also looks good ). I'm a computing student so I have been building pc's for quite a while aswell. Anyway inbetween using college computers and my own home i generally get quite irritated using microsoft OS and apps as they are boring and poorly built.
My friend has been a mac man for all his life, he has shown me his machines and there very impressive, well he's convinced me anyway. So tonight I'm gonna order myself a new iMac G5 (2Ghz 17" Model), seems a very nice machine and well made; and a great alternative to this PC,

thanks for reading,

Dave.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-06, 11:53

Congrats, welcome, and don't mind the frat party atmosphere over in AppleOutsider, we're all good blokes. Well, except for the good blokettes.
SledgeHammer

2005-05-06, 11:59

Yeah. Read as many existing threads as you can to get yourself started here. Especially in AO. It helps to pick up the tone of the humor before posting so that you don't get offended at things meant in fun. Welcome aboard, and feel free to ask any questions about Macs or computers in general. There are plenty of people here willing and able to help.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-06, 12:04

Hola!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-06, 12:15

Welcome to AN!

Since you're also a new mac user, you might want to give a few of these threads a read-through.
Don't let the old crotchy bastards here scare you off. We're really a good bunch.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-05-06, 12:16

Yeah, this place must be hard for newcomers to figure out, now that I think about it.

One tip: if I post a reply to a thread of yours and it's only one sentence long, chances are it's dripping with sarcasm. I'm kind of an asshole that way.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-06, 12:33

Only that way?

(See? )
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-05-06, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
I'm kind of an asshole that way.
he really is. and we love to watch him do his work.

don't forget to grab a beer, and please, don't bogart the chips.
Dave.m55

2005-05-06, 13:14

well cheers for the welcome and links guys
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-06, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Hola!

Damn you! you stole my post!
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-06, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
We're really a good bunch...

of crotchety old bastards!

crotchety
¡Damned!

2005-05-06, 14:25

No, I'm crotchy. Definitely.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-06, 14:31

*sniff sniff*

Yup, you are.
¡Damned!

2005-05-06, 14:39

Well, murbot's got a drippy asshole, so I'm in good company.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-06, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709

Well, murbot's got a drippy asshole, so I'm in good company.
Yea, in a 'I don't know why these dogs love to stick their wet nose up my ass' kinda way.

Either that or you're eating those potato chips with that OLean nonfat stuff in them.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-06, 15:04

Freudian slip, I suppose.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-05-06, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Congrats, welcome, and don't mind the frat party atmosphere over in AppleOutsider, we're all good blokes. Well, except for the good blokettes.
Yeah, welcome, Dave.

Yes, indeed. Ya gotta watch out for stuff/people in AppleOutsider...especially Murbot. But he warned you himself, so that's a good thing.

I am always happy to get 'converts' at AppleNova. We have been getting lots and lots of those lately. Yay!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-06, 16:48

Code:
int um = (int)( Math.random() * 5 ); switch ( um ) { case 0: out.println("Welcome"); break; case 1: out.println("Bienvenidos"); break; case 2: out.println("Bienvenue"); break; case 3: out.println("Bienvenuti"); break; case 4: out.println("Willkommen"); break; default: out.println("Huh? " + um); }
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-05-06, 16:53

Oh yeah, and Brad's a big geek. But we love him anyway.

(We have to, or we get Banninated.)
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-07, 05:50

Welcome Dave let us know how you get on with the iMac. As torifile said, lot's of good links in those threads. http://www.macupdate.com/ particularly good
Dave.m55

2005-06-26, 13:42

OK,
seems a long time since i made this thread but...
i've been actually saving my cash a bit more, although interested in the imac, i feel i might need a notebook for taking up to college. Seen alot of spec on a new ibook soon, but only concern with the ibook is i'd like to use the audio in feature with garageband and my guitar in my spare time (but i hear there are products that let you do this externally?) anyway, main decision is between the G5 imac and as of right now ... 1 of the notebooks. Thanks for any feedback

--p.s im in kind of a remote area in the UK ... the closest apple store is like 400 miles away, so any pics of the systems i'm interested in would be great

$ /cd pub
$ $more beer
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-06-26, 14:01

i love my 15" i've been trying to get a pro tools setup working on it for an auditorium i work in, biggest issue is i don't understand pro tools. mine is the original ALbook 1.25 G4 and it still is kicking ibook ass to this day my friend just got a new ibook and mine is still faster than it for stuff like basic video editing and photoshop. Could be that mine is a very well maintained machine, but still mine PB flies. i highly reccomend a 15" for students who want both power and portability. and to be honest i've never had an issue with my 15" being too big to move around easily. and my hand fit better on the keyboard.

HTH

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-06-26, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.m55
OK,
seems a long time since i made this thread but...
i've been actually saving my cash a bit more, although interested in the iMac, i feel i might need a notebook for taking up to college. Seen alot of spec on a new iBook soon, but only concern with the iBook is i'd like to use the audio in feature with garageband and my guitar in my spare time (but i hear there are products that let you do this externally?) anyway, main decision is between the G5 iMac and as of right now ... 1 of the notebooks. Thanks for any feedback

--p.s im in kind of a remote area in the UK ... the closest apple store is like 400 miles away, so any pics of the systems i'm interested in would be great
If you're looking at using GarageBand, you'll find that it's a bit of a resource hog. Wrao could speak to this better (since he loves the GB), but I remember him mentioning that. You might want to look at a PowerBook.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-26, 14:15

I'm moving this thread to Purchasing Advice since that appears to be the nature of the current discussion. I'd also highly recommend browsing or searching the existing threads in the Purchaing Advice forum because we've had lots of people ask about and discuss the pros and cons of notebooks.

And I'm editing the title to something more appropriate too...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-26, 14:19

To my mind, a 12" PowerBook would work well for you - it's in your price range. It is very portable, fast, will work well with Garageband, comes WiFi-enabled. Buy one with an 80GB harddrive (good capacity), a superdrive, and if your budget will stretch, upgrade RAM from the 512MB to say 768MB. Details online at the Applestore - http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore .

It's a great machine
Dave.m55

2005-06-26, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
To my mind, a 12" PowerBook would work well for you - it's in your price range. It is very portable, fast, will work well with Garageband, comes WiFi-enabled. Buy one with an 80GB harddrive (good capacity), a superdrive, and if your budget will stretch, upgrade RAM from the 512MB to say 768MB. Details online at the Applestore - http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore .

It's a great machine
I certainly did consider that machine, my friend has one which I did like however the ibook attracted me because of the price and still seemed to have decent features, I believe I would be eligible for a student discount aswell(not sure how that works)

$ /cd pub
$ $more beer
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-06-26, 14:41

Quote:
I believe I would be eligible for a student discount aswell(not sure how that works)
Apple's education page for UK:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/

Apple Education Store for UK:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/store/

UK education special offers:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/promo/

How to buy:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/howtobuy/

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-26, 14:55

Quote:
I certainly did consider that machine, my friend has one which I did like however the iBook attracted me because of the price and still seemed to have decent features, I believe I would be eligible for a student discount aswell(not sure how that works)
12" iBook is great value, particularly if you manage to get an edu discount. These days the RAM and harddrive capacity look a little light to my mind though and that may be in issue with Garageband (as would lack of audio-in but you can work around that). Would recommend you upgrade RAM (an additional £100 to 768MB) and HD to 80GB (for an extra £80).
Dave.m55

2005-06-26, 15:26

Thing is the iMac has everything I want, (apart from portability to college obviously) it has an analogue audio in right, for a good price. So basically I gotta decide between that or being able to take the machine with me, tough call :P

$ /cd pub
$ $more beer
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-06-26, 16:53

Yes. It's gotta be the first decision in the decision tree - portability or not. Everything else follows.