AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Spring media event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spring media event
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 06:14

Apple’s odd sometimes. Part of the reason they’re sitting on such a pile of money is that they often go the chintzy, unexpected route.

I brought this up two weeks ago, asking how they’d go about this and working the numbers to show how many (3,000+) they’d have to have to outfit all the Apple Stores worldwide with a display unit of every color.

My gut tells me for their own stores they’ll do just that. For their resellers (Best Buy, etc) they may provide some sort of in-store display card/panel that sits next to the demo unit(s) to show all the colors available.

At the very least, some printed promo placards or posters that show the range. So the person can leave Best But, go home and order a yellow one directly from Apple I suppose.

The iFruit era was over and the iMac colors/patterns were winding down by the time the Apple Stores came to be, so we don’t know how Apple handled the five rainbow/fruit jellybean iMac in store displays. But I do remember places like CompUSA, Microcenter, Circuit City, Sear(!) having 1-3 sitting out. Almost always a Graphite and Blueberry, at the very least. Anything else - lime, strawberry, etc. - was a treat. And I do recall seeing gutted, hollow/non-functional “dummy” iMac G3 units in some places. Because I offered to buy them when they were done being used.

I wanted all six on a shelf in my living room because, at the time, I was severely idiotic. I’m not fully recovered, but I’m working toward it. Slow and steady, as they say…

EDIT: Good grief, there were so many duplicates, gibberish and typos above that I just discovered upon re-reading, several hours later.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Am I the only one who thinks the predictive/auto-correct stuff in iOS is getting worse in recent years? From 2007 until about 2017-2018, a solid decade, I don't think I ever struggled with typos, omissions, weirdo/senseless word substitutions and outright mangling of stuff I wrote on my iPhone. It definitely seems like an iOS thing because I don't run into all this craziness on the Mac, just on my phone. And just in recent years. How can something like this be worse than it was 4-6 years ago?! I encounter it daily. People will respond and ask if I'm having a stroke. I've actually typed common words like "general" or "system" and they'll get changed, on-the-fly, to something completely stupid/meaningless. That used to not happen. You used to have to make a blatant typo before it would change things for you, now it just seems to substitute random words for correctly-spelled, intentional words.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-10 at 12:20.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-10, 09:25

Have I missed anybody postulating that they'll release a Limited Edition pastel rainbow iMac?

If not, then dibs.

I intend on winning one of the bets in this thread.

And no, I don't need anybody telling me "You're the only one making these bets, Drew"

Keep it in your sock.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-10, 12:08

Apple is only going to stock the green, pink, blue, and silver iMacs in stores. iMore Link

That means purple, orange, and yellow will only be available online.

Not entirely clear is whether these will even be displayed in the stores themselves.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 12:24

They're so gonna wish they never did this.

My prediction, based on absolutely nothing at all, about the 24" iMac top sellers, in order:

Silver
Blue
Green
Orange
Purple
Pink
Yellow

Silver and blue, spots 1 and 2, might flip-flop. I feel pretty good about the rest though.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-10, 12:48

Jon Prosser, Apple leaker, also tweeted the embargo times:

Quote:
Embargo times for iMac & iPad Pro

iMac - 9:00am EST, Tuesday, May 18th

iPad Pro - 9:00am EST, Wednesday, May 19th

That’s when you can expect to see videos / hands-on coverage.

Don’t tell anyone that I told you, though. 🤫
I really can't wait to see videos of these machines.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-10, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the predictive/auto-correct stuff in iOS is getting worse in recent years? From 2007 until about 2017-2018, a solid decade, I don't think I ever struggled with typos, omissions, weirdo/senseless word substitutions and outright mangling of stuff I wrote on my iPhone. It definitely seems like an iOS thing because I don't run into all this craziness on the Mac, just on my phone. And just in recent years. How can something like this be worse than it was 4-6 years ago?!
They changed autocarrot in iOS 10(?) to make use of machine learning.

The upside is that it can now correct entire series of words after the fact. The downside is that… it's also wrong a lot.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-10, 13:40

Not related to the color conversation, but someone thought it would be cool to be the first to hack an AirTag and allow it to send you to a malicious URL.

I mean, I know I'm planning to touch my phone to random AirTags in public so I'm sure this will be a horribly abusive practice.

It is really cool in the lab with the breadboard and such though. I mean, it is neat that someone put the time in making it happen but it has no real world threat. It is a REALLY expensive NFC tags from what I'm reading. Heck, I got a bag of NFC tags for like $14! (currently only $11.04 for 40!)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
They changed autocarrot in iOS 10(?) to make use of machine learning.

The upside is that it can now correct entire series of words after the fact. The downside is that… it's also wrong a lot.
Well a) that makes sense, timeline-wise, because that's about when it seemed to shit the bed, and b) that's really no help/improvement, real world. I'd rather it be right a lot. Like it used to be.

Just today I sent a quick text laced with three areas of indecipherable stupidity, which I had to apologize for/explain, re-type/resend and wait, again, for a response. Yeah, I should probably proofread everything, but I never used to and things were fine.

This ain't progress, IMO...a bunch of reasonably intelligent people now sounding like illiterate nutballs barely making any sense.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-10 at 14:39.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-10, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Not related to the color conversation, but someone thought it would be cool to be the first to hack an AirTag and allow it to send you to a malicious URL.

I mean, I know I'm planning to touch my phone to random AirTags in public so I'm sure this will be a horribly abusive practice.

It is really cool in the lab with the breadboard and such though. I mean, it is neat that someone put the time in making it happen but it has no real world threat. It is a REALLY expensive NFC tags from what I'm reading. Heck, I got a bag of NFC tags for like $14! (currently only $11.04 for 40!)
Yeah, and that’s just a few days after they came out. My brother in law has aces of these types of things, since he loses stuff all the time, so I can see the need for these. That said, I for one have absolutely no interest in these myself, don’t lose things often enough to bother. Just something else to track you and your stuff by a company.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-10, 14:21

Yeah, I'm pretty methodical about where my keys and wallet go. Like I never need to question it because I don't just drop them wherever. Mrs T on the other hand... the kids "help" her all the time so we considered getting one for her. We still haven't, might never actually follow through on it either.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yeah, and that’s just a few days after they came out. My brother in law has aces of these types of things, since he loses stuff all the time, so I can see the need for these. That said, I for one have absolutely no interest in these myself, don’t lose things often enough to bother. Just something else to track you and your stuff by a company.
Yeah, this is one of those Apple products that never once appealed to me, or hit my "oooh, interesting" meter. Since they've been out, it seems a day doesn't go by without some "uh-oh" story related to them.

As a single guy, living alone, I simply don't lose stuff. My keys and wallet, if not in my pocket, go in my nightstand, religiously. No exceptions. I don't leave either in various, "interesting" places around the house every day. Pocket or nightstand...period. My phone is either in my pocket, on nightstand, desk or coffee table. I don't leave it in any other places either. When I'm out and about, they all stay in my pocket until/unless they're being used...then, you guessed it, right back to their pocket (keys in front right, wallet in back right, iPhone in front left). I don't leave my phone on restaurant tables, bars or store shelves. It stays in my pocket. When I leave anywhere - restaurant, store, theater, etc. - I do my little three-pat check before I leave, knowing that doing it 30-60 minutes later isn't going to help, because a phone or wallet will walk away pretty quick.

I don't think it's any sort of secret/surprise that the people I know who are always frazzled/losing stuff are the ones constantly juggling a million things, are on all the social media and constantly checking/living their lives by them (which means they're constantly pulling their phones out to check the latest posts/feeds, which increases the chances of leaving it somewhere weird, which also means they're distracted by all they're seeing/reading, so they're more likely to leave their keys somewhere weird), always walking around with coffee, phone, keys, texting/selfies/speaker phone calls (in public...why?), fooling with their nails or jewelry, etc. Just constantly doing stuff, nonstop. I guess they think it makes them look busy or "getting shit done"?

Nope.

"Guys, relax...pare down a little. You're allowed, I promise."

I've got a few soccer mom type friends (stay-at-home moms/wives whose days aren't exactly filled with important, demanding stuff) who never have their hands empty, never aren't on their phone, never have less than 3-5 tasks happening at once. And they're constantly forgetting/losing/scrambling for everything (keys, etc.).

I'm pretty much the only person in my immediate circle who isn't that way. My hands are always empty, I'm rarely on my phone, when I'm sitting down to eat a meal that's actually what I do, etc. Shocking, I know.

I'd like to put an AirTag on my kitty, just in case he ever escaped. That might be my only reason to buy one, but he's an indoor guy with a nice screened-in porch for 24/7 fresh air and squirrel/bird watching. He no longer makes the effort to fly the coop...he knows he's got it good. Food, water, doting, toys, comfy places to hang, temperature control, no predators/cars, etc.

Do you think that'll be something people do with AirTags? Dog collars, etc.? I never thought about that until just now. Or is that small and a choking worry? Are they small enough for cats? Or is that the AirTag Air, coming this fall? Little dime-sized tracker for smaller places?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-10 at 15:41.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-10, 19:37

Are the Airtags waterproof? Might not work too well for a pet if they aren’t.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-10, 19:54

All it would take is some hot glue. Changing the battery might be a challenge, but could be worth it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 20:26

Water resistant, Apple’s site says.

Quote:
AirTag is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Refer to the Safety and Handling documentation for cleaning and drying instructions.
One of those big ol’ slobbery hound dogs might not be a good match.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-11, 08:27

I bet someone makes a dog collar with a waterproof pouch to put the tag in. It will be the next big thing to flood the amazon marketplace.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-11, 09:26

Those seem to be out there, from my Googling last night. Collars with a little pouch built in meant to hold an AirTag (or other similar size tracker). It's closed up, free from any slobber or accidental swallowing, etc. If you're got an adventurous, curious dog who likes to "travel" (escape) and explore, that might be some peace of mind.

If Jasper was still an outdoor kitty, I'd probably already have one. Because getting him to come home/inside at sunset that first year of his life was getting to be a challenge! It's very hard to look for/find a black cat at night, as it turns out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-11, 19:36

Nomad has one now.

Of course you can use it for your keychain as well.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-11, 19:44

It’s amusing that some of these things the AirTags go in - including Apple’s accessories - cost as much as the AirTags themselves.

But it’s not as bad as some of that Hermès dipshittery… $449 for a luggage tag, $420 more than the AirTag.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-11, 20:48

I know! I just can't force myself to buy anything from them that isn't steeply discounted from their base prices.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-13, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
My prediction, based on absolutely nothing at all, about the 24" iMac top sellers, in order:

Silver
Blue
Green
Orange
Purple
Pink
Yellow

Silver and blue, spots 1 and 2, might flip-flop. I feel pretty good about the rest though.
Survey finds blue is most popular 24" iMac color.

Makes sense. Hard to go wrong with blue, in all its forms. Greens, pinks, yellows, purples, etc. can be a bit polarizing and very "love it/hate it" among people. But it's hard to find (sane, rational) people who don't appreciate a nice blue.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-13, 22:15

Orange coming in a 3% just means that my orange iMac will be a collector's edition....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-13, 22:43

Yep!

Kinda makes me want that color too, now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-14, 02:07

"Only 14 percent of respondents intended to buy the 24-inch ‌iMac‌ with the M1 chip"

Only?

There are over a billion active iPhones out there. If we can extrapolate this survey (we can't, but hey), that's 140 million people interested in buying an iMac. Massive.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-14, 08:27

And even if they all just opted for the $1,299 model (they wouldn’t), that’s $181,860,000,000..
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-14, 14:12

Just got my shipping notification.

Should be delivered on the 21st.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-14, 15:20

Next Friday. Hell, I'm excited!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-14, 16:29

You?

I'm ready to throw this ancient 2019 21" iMac out the window. What an awful machine! (kidding, but it really is starting to drive me nuts. It's super loud with the fan and I can't wait to get my stuff migrated to the new iMac)

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

2021-05-21, 18:21

I… just don't understand how you can write two paragraphs over how great the iPad Pro mini-LED display is (I bet it is!) without mentioning OLED. His iPhone has OLED!

(I think OLED is, in the long run, not the future. But I don't think it's right to just ignore it altogether and pretend only TFT-LCD exists as the current tech.)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-21, 21:15

As usual, I know little about the tech behind all this. But I thought I had read in the Mac press that Micro-LED was the future.
chucker

2021-05-22, 05:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
As usual, I know little about the tech behind all this. But I thought I had read in the Mac press that Micro-LED was the future.
Yes, but that's still a few years out. Mini-LED is what bridges the gap.

Mini-LED takes the typical TFT panel + LED backlight setup we have on most laptops, and changes the LED backlight to have an array of thousands of LEDs, which enables local dimming and therefore significantly improves contrast. But you still have a panel and a backlight.

Micro-LED makes the panel into its own backlight: each subpixel is simply an LED. So instead of thousands, you need millions of LEDs.

Like OLED, mini-LED has better contrast than TFT+LED. And like OLED, micro-LED will then go a step further and just combine the panel and backlight into one, which reduces thickness (obviously) and power draw.

(It is a little unfortunate that they're named so similarly, but also, the naming is kind of logical.)

Why doesn't the iPad Pro just use OLED, like (most) iPhones now do? My guess is because Apple is targeting photo/video professionals, who care about predictable, accurate color, where OLED is weak. Mini-LED doesn't have that problem, nor will micro-LED.