Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Slippery Little Fucker

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Slippery Little Fucker
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-04, 17:54

Last year was depressing and confusing and somehow I ended up with an additional iPhone: a yellow XR. Since I didn’t want to encourage people to use an additional number for me, and since it doesn’t have enough storage to suit my needs, I only use it around the house, and I have not put it into a case.

As a result, I have learned that this phone is a slippery little fucker. If it’s on a pile of papers on the table I can watch it slowly ease down, seeking the path of least resistance.

It is determined to throw itself off a counter, so I’m on suicide watch any time I don’t place it flat on a stable surface.

Has anyone else noticed their phone slip sliding away?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-04, 18:51

Your counter must be covered in water or grease, cause that sounds special.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-04, 20:13

But it's NOT!!

Maybe my case is made from a neutron star, because it REALLY IS a gravity hog.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-04, 21:05

Vaseline isn't a case.

Jokes aside, what kind of case do you have on it? Never had one that slides, even the cheap ones are either rubberized or have textured plastic that stops sliding. What kind of surface is on the counter? Sounds a little odd.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-04, 23:12

There is NO case on it!!!!

That's my point.

This phone is a slippery little devil.

If the surface it's sitting on is at the slightest angle and is low friction (as in a piece of paper, even) the phone will slide.

It's pretty remarkable, and I think it's something that went under everybody's radar. This is Tony Stark level technology!!!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-05, 09:20

Then get case or one of the sticky grip things you can slap on the phone, and solve the problem already
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-07-05, 09:36

Yeah, my 11 (which is virtually the same design as the XR) is quite slippery. Has fallen on tiled floors before. Oops. (Did survive. Does have bruises, though.)

I really wish there were bumpers, but I guess those only work well with the boxy design of the 4/5 and 12.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-05, 10:01

I loved the bumper idea/approach. Kept the overall look of the phone and just covered those edges that would likely take a hit in a fall. I had a clear bumper on my iPhone 5 ages ago. You could barely tell I had anything on. You could see the front and back of the phone, and still see the aluminum(?) edging through the clear, rubber-y bumper. Best of all worlds...protection and I didn't have to cover up an attractive device with one of those 4" thick Otterbox horror shows.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-07-05, 10:10

I never really needed a bumper on my 4S and 5S either. I guess those were simply small enough that my hand gripped most of them. Not exactly so on the 11…
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-05, 10:18

Yeah, something to be said for those smaller, one-hand-friendly iPhones. I've only been saying that for about six years now.

The alleged reason alleged sales are allegedly down on the iPhone 12 mini is because they goofed up by making that model small. For $699, customers don't want small. Nobody wants to pay that Cadillac price for a Pinto body. The flagships can, and probably should, be on the full-size, larger side of things. Right or wrong, people equate that with "worth it" and can swallow those prices better on a larger, proper device.

The day they put that size in the $399 third-generation(?) SE - single camera, standard display tech, a one-generation older processor, etc. (whatever helps them make up that $300 difference between the SE and 12 mini), they'll have a strong seller. I'd wager my left lung on it. It isn't the "small size" that makes the 12 mini lag behind in sales (according to every article I've ever read about it), but how it was positioned/priced. Nobody was asking for a small $700 iPhone. They'd like a small, compact $400 one that equals the performance/specs of the current SE, just with a large-as-possible full-face display (doesn't have to be OLED and all the rest, I know that).

I'd LOVE to own such an iPhone. It's been my dream model for several years now...a smaller, one-hand-friendly, full-face iPhone at an affordable, SE-ish price. Not this $699+ horseshit.
chucker

2021-07-05, 10:37

I wouldn't be shocked if the 12 mini eventually trickles down to become the iPhone SE, but at the current cadence, that wouldn't be until 2024.

(I also think reports of the mini being a failure are a little overblown. Also, the pandemic may have had an effect. If you're home anyway, the benefits of a smaller phone aren't as large.)

The way I look at it, the iPhone line-up is currently… unusually broad. I wish we had half as many choices for MacBooks.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2021-07-07, 04:23

Its something we don't talk about enough (and for good reason, its pretty uninteresting). Apple put huge effort into body design but the vast majority of people I know immediately put their iPhone into a case. Either a bumper type case or a card wallet. It seems to me that they should put more effort into making very strong, thin cases which suit the aesthetic that they want. And I agree with poodrops, the bodies are made with some sort of oiled teflon, they are just absurdly slippery. Definitely a mark against the rounded edge models. I'd love the design of the older iPhone SE in a (titanium?) case, with some really serious drop protection, for the huge number of people who work in manual jobs that are likely to be dropping them on the daily. Don't get me started on screen protectors...has anyone noticed that screen protector manufacturers seem to be in some sort of contest to include as many wipes, stickers and plastic wrappers in the box with a chuffing piece of sticky plastic?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-07, 08:35

I’ve been saying for years I don’t know why Apple goes through the manufacturing/stocking hassle of colors when everyone I know or see has their iPhone in an opaque case of some sort. I truly couldn’t tell you the color of anyone’s iPhone.

All these colors they come out with, and change up every release…who ever even sees them?

Seriously, the next time you’re out and about, see if you can tell what color iPhone - any model, any year - those around you have.

You can’t.

Just going to a neutral silver with a black face frame, as small as it may be on the flagships, would have to save some logistical hassle (and maybe even some $$$$.

Here’s the thing: pooh-pooh the above all you want (“…but…but…color is important and fun and sets them apart and…”). But we all know that if/when Apple did this, Samsung and all the rest would suddenly stop making colored phones as well, and go to silver/black phones. It isn’t even up for debate.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-07, 08:35

You basically have to use something, glass, glossy plastic, and well smoothly brushed aluminum are bound to be slippery. Better that than rubberized grippy plastic that turns to mush from just the heat of the device running for a year or so like some Android phones.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-09, 06:32

Thanks to our discussion of wallowed out lighting ports I'm running my 7 Plus naked right now because it charges better this way than via the no-brand battery case. It's not quite as slippery as the XR. And yes, I'll take these materials over ANYTHING covered with rubbery bits that begin turning to sticky mush.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-09, 10:35

I'm glad it's working our for you, Drew.