User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 89 of 104 First Previous 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-02, 22:04

Those three LOTR movies were such spectacle. I’m glad I saw them all in the theater. Kinda knocked my eyes out. I’m not a fan/reader of the stuff but I enjoyed the three and thought they looked great (definitely one of those rare “okay, I’m fully getting my money’s worth” moviegoing experiences).

I thought that third one was never going to end, though.

Hard to imagine that overall look/feel being topped, but anything’s possible with the technology available today.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-03 at 02:09.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-08-02, 22:42

I'll admit I'm still pretty skeptical Amazon will pull this off.

I'm afraid they're so desperate to have their own Game of Thrones that they're going to throw billions of dollars at the wall just to see what sticks and we'll end up with a giant mess of a show. Especially because they're apparently inventing a number of the stories themselves, not just adapting Tolkien's own writing. Their agreement with his estate limits the number of liberties they can take but I don't think I'm wrong to be hesitant about what they might write.

IIRC they already committed to $1 billion in production costs—on top of licensing the material itself. Reports are just the first season came to $465 million for only 8 episodes. At some point you've just got too much money and end up burning it on pointlessness for the sake of making everything bigger and better. Peter Jackson only spent $300 million for all three LOTR films!

I'd certainly feel better about it all if Peter Jackson took over.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 02:14

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-03, 05:58

This past weekend I finally watched the film "Vice" which is presently available on Hulu. It stars British actor Christian Bale as former Vice President Dick Cheney, and Bubba, he knocked it out of the park.

The prosthetic makeup, some bulking up, and a fat suit took him up to cruising altitude, but my god the ACTING blasted him into space.

I had forgotten the grunty, side-mouthed manner of speaking Cheney was so well known for during his term in office. I began wondering "How did I forget about this?" but the film made it clear that Cheney's entire modus operandi was to be forgettable; he only sought to advance his goals, not his legacy.

The film is stylistic, clever, and self aware. It playfully acknowledges that its narrative could be seen as purely from a liberal perspective, but by damn does it make you think.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-03, 10:17

Good acting is different than good history. While I know nothing of Dick Cheney, nor do I care to know, I can tell you this: If you get your history from Hollywood, you're guaranteed to always be 50% wrong.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-03, 10:34

I have done work for a politician whose tiny vocal opposition's online postings paint a shadow version of the politician and I myself have even been broadly brush-stroked along with them, so I understand all too well how narratives are constructed to take down administrations.

I don't even need to turn on FOX or CNN.

Having said that, Vice was an interesting watch and I recommend it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 10:51

Christian Bale is interesting. One of those "chameleon" type actors - Batman, The Machinist, American Hustle, The Fighter, Vice, 3:10 to Yuma, Public Enemies, The Prestige, etc.

Different looks, body types, time periods, etc. He does it all...superheroes, cops, cowboys, losers, con men, psychos, politicians, weirdos and on and on.

Yeah, I know that's the very definition of an actor, to embody all those things. But, let's face it: some are much better at it than others. He's a good actor, over and above the other stuff. There is some overlap, of course (tough guy action heroes, a couple of westerns, etc.), but he's got a pretty diverse resumé. He'll probably always work because, unlike some, he doesn't have just one-speed (I won't name names).

Not sure why he isn't a bigger "star", but that may be the very point...he might not want to be part of that scene, and just focus on the work/roles (vs. being snapped by the paparazzi on nightclub sidewalks on Sunset, getting into fights, DUI arrests, engaging in Twitter slap-fights with morons from The View, etc.

I can dig it.

Daniel Day-Lewis is the best actor I've ever seen...and I truly couldn't tell you the first thing about him or his life. I think he intentionally set out to make that the case.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-03 at 11:08.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-03, 10:57

There's an interview on YouTube where he offhandedly says that he's not a method actor, and the woman interviewing him laughs and is kind of like "Excuse me? You lose weight for roles, you do this, you do that, I'm calling bullshit on you not being a method actor."

And while he may not follow the actual steps of the Stanislavski Method he DOES follow some of its tenets.

His Cheney is awesome.

Captain Drew on Twitter
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-08-03, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
His Cheney is awesome.
It took me a moment and I thought you meant Chenney.

American Psycho is always the first film that comes to mind when I see Christian Bale’s name.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-03, 22:06

IFC has been playing the Star Trek movies today. I saw the first one in the theater in 1979 and was bored to tears. It hasn't improved, but it was kinda fun to re-watch through older eyes. I saw The Wrath of Khan for the first time today (I know, I know...beat it ), and just finished watching The Search for Spock (also a first viewing).

Those Klingons are a feisty bunch of warlike a-holes, huh? Do they get along with anybody?

They're obviously playing them in order as the fourth one - with the whales - is starting. I enjoyed that as a younger pup but haven't seen it in ages. It's 11pm...I really need to go to bed, but... 🤓🖖

These are all making me feel oddly young and mellow/happy.

I like how the "security footage" in these things is simply footage from a previous movie (all the angles, etc.).

"They had cameras everywhere!"

The FX are deliciously 80's.

I'm a Star Wars guy, but I've enjoyed watching these today. Kinda sad that Spock, McCoy and Scotty are all gone in real life. I know Shatner is still alive, and I assume the others - Takei, Koenig and Nichols - are as well?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-03, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
American Psycho is always the first film that comes to mind when I see Christian Bale’s name.
I always go to Batman first.

I'm really glad that he's taking roles that fall outside of the science fiction ghetto. I still watch pulp (watched some tonight) but I increasingly need films with more fiber.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-03, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
They're obviously playing them in order as the fourth one - with the whales - is starting.
The Voyage Home is a great movie.

IMO, it's what Justice League desperately needs.
A feel good palette cleanser that doesn't involve alien invasions, huge explosions, punching everything or gritty realism.

See also: Iron Man 3, where Tony Stark hardly spends any time in the suit.

Just give us the Super Friends getting to know each other as people, as they track down some macguffin or the other.

Earth to DC/Warner Bros: It's called character development.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-08-03, 23:49

Quote:
I always go to Batman first.

I'm really glad that he's taking roles that fall outside of the science fiction ghetto. I still watch pulp (watched some tonight) but I increasingly need films with more fiber.

What is this science fiction ghetto? I am intrigued!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-04, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Earth to DC/Warner Bros: It's called character development.
Holy cow, that's an understatement!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 11:29

That whole thing should’ve been so fun and enjoyable. But you could tell there was no true plan/vision in place. They kinda made it up as they went and any connections between the movies were so scattered and tenuous.

They put the cart before the horse and did the complete opposite of the character/world-building Marvel did. They went straight to “team-up” movie with a bunch of characters nobody knew, or cared about. Hard to buy into any "stakes" or overall plot when they've not earned it. It's just 5-6 random people in silly costumes, barely acting.

A shame. I assumed the first live-action get-together of Superman, Batman, Wonder-Woman, Flash and Aqua-Man (every bit as well-known and iconic, if not more so, than their Marvel counterparts) would’ve been more thrilling and had more of an impact. It was a wet fart and two heaping scoops of "meh" all around.

When you put spectacle, merchandising, hype and box-checking before writing/story, that’s what happens. It might look good, but it's as filling/memorable as a rice cake and a glass of diet carrot juice. Much like The Rise of Skywalker, there isn’t a soul on the planet who can recall the plot of that Justice League movie, any secondary character names, locations or any standout, iconic moments or sequences. It's just a cinematic blank.

I've seen it twice (the second time just to make sure I wasn't imagining the first ) and if you sat me down, put a gun to my head and said "tell me how this movie plays out...what happens when, what happens next, where they go, the order of events, who says what, etc. or else...", I'd pretty much have to take that bullet.

Because I couldn't even begin to lay it out. Just a handful of vague snippets (Batman's climbing vehicle, Superman carrying an entire apartment building and Flash trying to be comic relief).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-04 at 11:51.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-04, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The Rose [sic] of Skywalker

Intentional or not, that's funny!

Not to derail this thing, but I'm having a really hard time remembering any character detail from those three movies. As I've said before, I really enjoyed 7 and 9, but holy cow what a disjointed mess of a trilogy that thing was. The whole crap-fest makes 1-3 look like academy-award-winning material.

As of today, I've seen 7 twice, and 8/9 once each. And that's with a Disney subscription where I can watch any SW movie at any time. But I can still sit down in front of 4-6 and watch them over and over.

As far as DC is concerned, I know I've seen Man of Steel and Aquaman, but just cannot stomach the thought of watching any of the others. The two I've seen have bee so bad that I'll not torture myself with any of the remainder.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-08-04 at 11:51.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-04, 12:24

They were so eager to get in on that Marvel train, everything just felt rushed/fast-tracked and thrown-together. I wish they'd been content to just take it slow and easy and built the main characters up, 1-2 movies each, and then have them come together. There would be some investment and give-a-damn.

I think that's why those Avenger movies played as well as they did, especially that first one...we knew the background of Stark, Rogers, Thor, etc. Several standalone movies between 2008-2011 (even featuring Black Widow and Hawkeye, Pepper Potts, Agent Coulson, etc.) came out before the first Avengers movie in 2012. When that movie hit, we knew all these characters and it was a genuine thrill to see them all meet and join together.

That's called "world/background-building" and, done well, can really pay off nicely. Yes, eventually you get sick of it all and move on, but, for a while it's all fun and exciting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-12, 14:41

Gee, I can't wait. Another Disney remake.
Quote:
Disney’s upcoming Home Alone reboot will arrive just in time for the holidays. 20th Century Studios announced today Home Sweet Home Alone will debut on November 12th.
Quote:
Three months until we’re #HomeSweetHomeAlone. The all-new Original Movie starts streaming November 12 on @DisneyPlus starring Ellie Kemper, Rob Delaney, Archie Yates, Aisling Bea, Kenan Thompson, Tim Simons, Pete Holmes, Devin Ratray, Ally Maki, and Chris Parnell.
At least they say "all-new" so we should assume it is only reusing the name and none of the other specifics. Still, why not just do a different movie name if it is going to be a different movie?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-12, 15:02

You just answered your own question.

That Home Alone name carries a lot of weight.

If it can be used, even a little, to get butts in seats/$$$ on streaming, they're gonna.

Would anyone care anything about Forgotten, House Defender or Ouch, This Aftershave Really Burns?

Nope, not even a little.

That's why, when the inevitable "great white terrorizing a small New England summer community" remake comes - despite every aspect being changed - they're still gonna call it Jaws.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-12, 15:14

Hmm …

Another "don't care" flick on the way. Oh, well. Don't care.

FYI: The family saw Jungle Cruise the other day, and it was terrible. Don't bother.

What I hated:

- A 120lb woman with zero fighting skill beating up 250lb, hardened jungle men is just silly. Too much of that special-effects "girls can do whatever boys can do" woke BS ruins a strong woman

- Falling from great heights and living

- A large boat performing maneuvers like it's a jet-ski

- It wanted to be all of the jungle movies in one

- Acting was cheesy

- Screenplay was predictable

- Characters were poorly developed

- Love chemistry was … Hollywood crap

What I liked:

Nothing

Advice: Don't waste your money.

It was good to visit a theater again (Tuesday night was cheap night) but, damn, that popcorn and water was $25!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-12, 15:19

I showed my 90 year old mom "Weekend at Bernie's" this week and you might think that she would have hated it, but she actually enjoyed it because she's a big fan of physical comedy (her number one comedy is Home Alone (the real one)).

She gave Weekend at Bernie's 8 or 9 out of 10.

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-12, 15:21

Wow, I haven't seen that movie in a LONG time. I might have to dig it up. I know I had the DVD of that one... somewhere.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-12, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
FYI: The family saw Jungle Cruise the other day, and it was terrible. Don't bother.
Really?! No way. I'm shocked.

He seems like I nice enough guy, but I think if you've seen one Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson movie, you've seen about 6-8 of them? And Emily Blunt is as pretty as can be, but I honestly couldn't tell you one single thing about her (previous roles/movies, etc.).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-12, 15:24

Ha!

Weekend at Bernies
Throw Mamma From the Train
Plains Trains and Automobiles

People who understand comedy know how to make the stuff. Too many cheesy jokes in modern "comedy", I think intended for minds that spend too much time buried in social media, toilet humor, and cat videos.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-12, 15:28

Quote:
..."Weekend at Bernie's"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
...I might have to dig it up.
Har-har...

He's here all week, folks. Be sure to tip your waitresses!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-12, 15:33

Quote:
Plains Trains and Automobiles
That is the sweetest funny movie - or funniest sweet movie - I've ever seen.

That ending, to this day, will make me cry like an idiot. What a wonderful payoff/wrap-up to the previous 90 minutes of laughs. First time I saw it I was with friends/classmates...

"Well, there goes my reputation/standing...". 🥺😢😭
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-12, 16:00

John Candy and Steve Martin were brilliant together. Their chemistry was spot-on, great timing, wonderful ad-lib. It was just grand! I've probably seen that movie 10 times and I still laugh every time.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-08-12, 17:40

Let's be honest—John Candy is brilliant with just about anyone.

Supposedly he improv'd almost his entire appearance in Home Alone.

"Polka king of the midwest?"
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-12, 18:52

It might just be time for me to watch Summer Rental again. I love that movie.

¡Damned!

2021-08-13, 09:58

Quote:
John Candy and Steve Martin were brilliant together.

Gets a belly laugh from me every time.