User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Want to write for AppleNova? Inquire within! (take two)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Want to write for AppleNova? Inquire within! (take two)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-28, 05:39

AppleNova's front end has been offline since our fearlesss leader Jack passed away six months ago. Without Jack driving the bus, the motivation to keep content published to the front of the site waned and everyone involved just gave up on it. Well, it's about time we get our act together and change that!

I'm nearing completion of an update to the AppleNova forums and plan to bring the front "www" page back up at the same time that I push the forum updates. What's a front page without good content, though? And what kind of content should define the AppleNova community? That's up to you all to decide. It just needs to be quality, whatever that means. These articles don't have to be about technology or Apple. murbot wrote an investigative report about aliens taking over PayPal; so, practically anything is fair game!

Consider this an open invitation. Do you have a creative spark and the ability to write coherently? Do you have some unique ideas that you'd like published somewhere outside the general musings of the forums? Would you be able to commit to a regular column?

If you are interested, please speak up, but only serious inquiries need apply. You can private message me with your ideas if you plan to contribute regularly. Also, please prepare a demo piece or have a good writing sample ready so we can see your style.

We'll also need a couple of editors to proofread these articles before posting. Not until we have some writers first!

Oh, did I mention that you'll get access to the super-secret "Editor's Round Table" forum?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-29, 22:56

Oooh OOOh me me!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-29, 23:10

I carn't spel no good, so I'll half to pass.

But I'm happy to see the joint become a bit more rounded out and full-featured (something I've brought up a few times, a good year or so ago...when we were still babies).

While not doing actual writing, I do have some ideas I'd like to put out there for gifted others to perhaps latch onto:

1. Lots of smart folks here...we should have some regular techie-centric pieces for those into such things (programming, Terminal cuteness and so forth...holy crap, that's a GREAT name for a column!).

2. General op-ed pieces regarding Apple and the tech industry. Humorous or serious, whatever fits.

3. iLife-centric "how to's" by our resident iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand monkeys. Cool stuff not found in the manuals or tutorials..."real life" tips, tricks, shortcuts, workarounds and "stuff you didn't know you could do".

4. Humor...enough silliness and funny goings-on in this particular market segment (Apple, Microsoft, tech, gadgetry, etc.). Would be funny to see some Onionesque pokes at this industry...goodness knows it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

5. Related to #3 above, how about those really good at Photoshop, Flash, etc. give some cool tutorials or tips? Or any type of popular Mac software (Office, popular shareware utilities we all know and love, etc.)?

That's all for now. It's bedtime...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-29, 23:23

I'll volunteer to write my magnum opus on tech and psychology. Or not... If people are open to getting a psychological perspective on things, I'd be willing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-29, 23:32

torifile, did you read any of thegelding's posts to the front page?

'Nuf said.
SledgeHammer

2005-11-29, 23:46

Well, I don't know if I'm up to writing anything right now, but I am certainly available in a copy-editing context.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-11-29, 23:53

I think I was an english student once so if you're exceedingly desperate for editors I think I could make things worse. And I'll happily write some crap if the I think of anything. It'd be great to see the place grow beyond the forums.
Batman

2005-11-30, 00:03

If you need any general tech and new/upcoming application reviews, I'm up to the job .
Quagmire
meh

2005-11-30, 00:10

I will help out. I need to repay you guys for the things you done for me.
I'll write articles to keep the homepage interesting with wonderful content. When should I start?

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2005-11-30 at 00:18.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 00:24

Well I'm already writing a weekly iPod-related humor column. Perhaps I could look into cross-posting that, maybe a couple days after it appears on the other place?

Alternatively, I'd also be interested in writing some Mac-related stuff, and would probably be able to handle a regular column on that, too. Mac-related humor sounds easier than iPod-related humor at first glance, seeing how much more insane our Mac speculation is than our iPod speculation. I think I could have a field day with this.
Batman

2005-11-30, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
I will help out. I need to repay you guys for the things you done for me.
I'll write articles to keep the homepage interesting with wonderful content. When should I start?
That post either sounds like extreme admiration, or a forced response (especially because of the edit)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-30, 00:29

I'm teaching English over here at the moment and would be happy to offer my services for editing if they're needed.

Don't think I could commit to a regular column but would be happy to chime in on HCI and Human Factors related matters.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-30, 00:46

Quote:
When should I start?
Enthusiasm! Fake or not, I like that!

As I mentioned before, please PM me or e-mail me (to brad at applenova dot com) some sort of sample piece and/or some specific ideas you may have. I'll have the staff review each piece posted anonymously so your (and anyone else's) personal history won't be a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Perhaps I could look into cross-posting that, maybe a couple days after it appears on the other place?
I'd really rather us post original content and not articles rehashed from other sites or blogs. I'd welcome some new humor pieces, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Quagmire
meh

2005-11-30, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
That post either sounds like extreme admiration, or a forced response (especially because of the edit)
You need to understand my history to be able to understand that post. My past attitude could of gotten me banned. Yet, I somehow lasted and evolved into my current personality here. I am thankful that the staff here and at ai( which is the similar staff), gave me 2nd chances.

giggity
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-11-30, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd really rather us post original content and not articles rehashed from other sites or blogs. I'd welcome some new humor pieces, though.
That's quite doable. At least I won't have much trouble getting a sample piece.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-11-30, 01:30

Quote:
You need to understand my history to be able to understand that post. With my past attitude I could of gotten me have been banned. Yet, I somehow lasted and evolved into my current personality here. I am thankful that the staff here and at ai (which is the similar staff essentially the same staff at the time), gave me 2nd chances a second chance. *

* or 'repeated chances' - depends on the meaning.
There - I volunteer to edit undertakers, I mean quag's stuff.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-11-30, 02:00

I could write some stuff about Australia. What's happening down under, how much i drank this weekend, how much i am planning on drinking next weekend, that sort of thing. Seriously there'd be tones to say. It's a very fun place.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-11-30, 02:05

Id be happy to edit for anyone who needs it. I am doing a minor in English and my dad is an English teacher so Im good at that kind of stuff.

As for writing articles, right now Im a little busy but when finals are over I think I could do some.

How often would we have to write stuff Brad?
taft

2005-11-30, 14:49

I'd be happy to do some editing for the site. My bachelor's is in History, and I'm a History graduate student at the moment, so I have quite of a bit of experience in writing. Hey, I've even been published! Being a graduate student also means that I cannot commit time-wise to writing any sort of column, but I do enjoy working with others' writing. I used to do the same for Jack back in the Mac3d.com days.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-11-30, 16:10

Can I write the weekly warez update column?

MPAA's most wanted is the only other person who even comes close in qualifications at least
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-30, 19:56

I don't know about a full-time writing position, but once in a while, it would be awesome if I could submit something to be posted. :smokey:
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-11-30, 20:20

If you want rants, I'm your man. It is nice to write without feeling pressured for time like our normal discussions. I'll even spell check before posting. I do have something to say about the iPod, but I need to burn 120 DVD's by Saturday so I won't get around to it until Sunday-ish.

I am pretty up-to-date on popular applications and utilities, the blessed DMCA and related stories, and am full of tips & tricks from Photoshop, Quicktime, FCP, and more.

EDIT: Man, this is addictive! I may actually have to write something short...

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-11-30 at 20:48.
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-12-01, 15:54

If I could think of something I'd do it...dont count on me though
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2005-12-02, 04:21

I'd love to but I'm afraid I'm not good enough.

If I were you, I'd invite some specific forum contributers you think are good writers with interesting opinions.

And by the way, I wonder if these forums really need a front end at all, with all the especially written content (and the hassle and the pressure and the risc of cheesiness that you get when people have to deliver every once in a period), if The Big Inspirator isn't there anymore to provide it by nature.

To me, ThinkSecret.com functions as the front end to these forums and in front of that, Macsurfer.com functions as my general Mac News Hunger front end.

Therefore, if at all these forums get their own front-end, it could be nice to let it relate very much to what's going on inside.

I could be very happy with a weekly (?) selection of nice quotes from community members and some wrap-ups of actual threads.

But even without them, I think you do very well as a semi-official community leader/zenith/totem/pope!
BenRoethig

2005-12-02, 12:29

I'd like a shot. Everybody needs a good voice of decent every once and while.
¡Damned!

2005-12-02, 12:33

dissent

Though, if anybody wants the voice of descent, I'm here.
BenRoethig

2005-12-02, 19:44

Neglected to double check my post.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-12-02, 19:46

No proof-reading job for you!

I'd offer to proof-read, but I suspect we'd just fall out about US vs UK spelling, so best not, eh?
gjas15

2005-12-04, 17:28

I got a great story about the refridgerator light conspiracy involving the brewers and refrigerator light manufactures. Lets just say its an eternal war that encompasses stealing elections and drunk scientists, quite entertaining. Contrary to popular belief I was actually sober when I came up with it.

Got a few others I could tell as well; plus, I'm a decent writer/proofreader. Just not when typing quickly on my lunch break, like now.
gjas15

2005-12-04, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
No proof-reading job for you!

I'd offer to proof-read, but I suspect we'd just fall out about US vs UK spelling, so best not, eh?

What like fibre and fiber or the never-ending battle over the pronunciation of "herb"?

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-12-04 at 18:52.