User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Imac G5 and Pro Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Imac G5 and Pro Mac
doddler

2006-01-23, 11:35

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I don't understand why the imac g5 is the same price as the intel imac, when the intel imac is supposed to be 2 x faster.
From a business standpoint, any business that is clearing out a discontinued item normally drops the price on that item to move it quicker.
Is it possible that Apple will be selling their whole Intel Line along side their whole power pc line for a while at least?

I also think that if apple kept the imac name, and the new powerbook is macbook pro, ibook becomes macbook then thru logical deduction the new powermac will be called Pro Mac.

With the release of the Pro universal Final Cut Suite in March, I think Apple will try and get the Pro Mac out in April for their 30th anniversary, because the Pro Mac will be the flagship computer.
From a business standpoint, if people knew last year that a macbook pro was coming out in Feb, most of them would have waited, instead of buying a powerbook.
The rumour is that Pro Macs are coming in the fall, and alot of people can't wait 9 months. However if people knew it was in April, then most could wait 3 months and Apple would lose sales.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-23, 11:59

The reason most people expect the PowerMac successor not to arrive until summer or fall is Intel CPUs. The most likely candidates for the CPU are the Conroe and Woodcrest series, which won't come out until some time this summer.
shell

2006-01-23, 13:54

There are two things that won't happen.
1) The PowerMac will not go down to 32 bit.
2) They will not lose the "quad" configuration.

With these two postulates Apple has no choice but to wait till Conroe comes out towards the end of the year. Intel does not have the chips that we need at this time. There are more pressing needs at this time - like a 17'' MacBook Pro for one.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2006-01-23, 14:53

The whole 'business standpoint' doesn't nececarily run with the transition, the reason for duality in products and pricing is that many businesses, developers and educational institutions are using software that will not run natively on the new macs, or will not even run under rosetta. e.g: Most of the 'pro' apps, there are also many users who will not want to re-purchase their software just for the new intel macs.
Also - there are users out there that may run entire networks of the same system, and wish to keep the same product model when making additions to their network as far as possible, as it means easier maintance e.g: stock of identical spare parts in a school IT department, or just 1 restoration drive image.
Reid

2006-01-23, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell

With these two postulates Apple has no choice but to wait till Conroe comes out towards the end of the year. Intel does not have the chips that we need at this time. There are more pressing needs at this time - like a 17'' MacBook Pro for one.
3) There's no pro-level software available yet as a Universal Binary.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-23, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
3) There's no pro-level software available yet as a Universal Binary.
That didn't keep Apple from releasing the MacBook Pro, so that point is moot.
shell

2006-01-23, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
That didn't keep Apple from releasing the MacBook Pro, so that point is moot.

Not really. The Core chip is such a huge improvement over the G4 that even the slowness of Rosetta is compensated for by sheer computational power. However, the new iMac shows that the same is not true of the G5.
chucker

2006-01-23, 15:56

Rosetta doesn't let you run everything, and certainly not a lot of Pro Apps either. Apple's entire Pro line doesn't run, if I'm not mistaken.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-23, 16:38

Quote:

Actually, if Apple wants to keep the "Quad" configuration, they need to wait until Woodcrest. Conroe only supports one dual-core processor.

When exactly are Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest supposed to be available? I've heard everything from this summer to early 2007.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Reid

2006-01-23, 17:44

Quote:
Not really. The Core chip is such a huge improvement over the G4 that even the slowness of Rosetta is compensated for by sheer computational power. However, the new iMac shows that the same is not true of the G5.
Agreed. I bet Apple would have preferred to update the lagging Mac mini and iBook lines first with Core Solo processors, but Intel's release calendar didn't cooperate. The Core Duo was ready to roll, and so Apple jumped on the bandwagon. Explains why they were so quick to transition their two most recently upgraded lines (which are still available in quantity, at their original prices), and why the MacBook Pro is coming before even their own Pro applications.
shell

2006-01-23, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Actually, if Apple wants to keep the "Quad" configuration, they need to wait until Woodcrest. Conroe only supports one dual-core processor.
Hmmm .... then we may see woodcrests in the PowerMac and the Conroe only for iMacs. That would be an interesting situation.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-23, 21:01

Quote:
Hmmm .... then we may see woodcrests in the PowerMac and the Conroe only for iMacs. That would be an interesting situation.
It makes total sense if Apple moves to a three-tiered line.

You'd have the Mac mini on Merom, the mid-range Mac and iMac on Conroe, and the Power Mac (and, if it's still around, the Xserve) on Woodcrest.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-01-23, 22:22

Here is an interesting read, Tom's Hardware is a decent site and how much salt is needed with this article is up for debate, but there are some points that ring an interesting ear, epespecially about the multi-core future with Intel.

Stinky Link

Mile 1
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-01-23, 22:38

Quote:
I don't see Apple waiting, they are talking about releasing Pro apps in short order, what would be the point of waiting till Woodcrest if it is going to be some time in the second half of the year. They have Dual Core Xeons that they could put in a Power Mac Today. They could go ahead and put Intel's Dempsey in them... if they can get them. They have the water cooling technology if needed.

I always thought that Apple was waiting for Merom, Conroe, and Woodcrest and then they decided to use Yonah which has always been described as an interim chip, a short term item.

Mile 1
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-01, 20:45

Yonah is an interim chip - but if you look at Apple's Intel Macs, they're hardly "next-generation" designs, either.

I don't know enough about the Xeon to know whether or not Apple would consider putting it in the "Mac Pro." But I do know that there's no way in hell they're putting a P4 in there. I still think the Mac Pro will get Woodcrest, eventually. Maybe it'll use a Xeon in the meantime.

shell

2006-02-02, 12:11

Quote:
But I do know that there's no way in hell they're putting a P4 in there. I still think the Mac Pro will get Woodcrest, eventually. Maybe it'll use a Xeon in the meantime.

A Xeon is a P4. Don't be fooled by Intel's marketing strategy.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-02-02, 12:26

Quote:
And Core Duo chips are still based off of the Pentium 3...
chucker

2006-02-02, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
Very vaguely.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-02, 13:47

Quote:

When exactly are Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest supposed to be available? I've heard everything from this summer to early 2007.
I would imagine that Apple sees no problem in either A. going back to an all dual lineup using Intel's latest and greatest or B. Offering a new intel lineup while keeping the Quad PowerMac G5 as the last remaining PPC professional option for those who can't make the switch.

As it is, Apple will come up with some number out of their ass saying how dual core intel is faster than 4 G5 cores.
beardedmacuser

2006-02-02, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
I was never convinced the P4 was any better than the P3 other than for gaming. Yes the P4 could run at 20 million GHz like a crude two-stroke trails bike, but I'm happier with a meaty four-stroke anyday! I guess it's a bit like the 7447 laptop G4s vs the desktop 745x G4s. A little bit of L3 cache can go a long way if you have a slow 167 MHz bus. Sorry, I'm getting distracted from the thread topic; I was just trying to say that the P4 was a child of the MHz race rather than a product developed in order to improve the user's computing experience. The P4 is best left for dead (although just out of curiosity it would have been interesting to have had a play with the P4 developer Intel Mac).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-02, 16:31

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I thought. And the P4...for lack of a better word...sucks.

I think we'll be waiting until Woodcrest. I really do.

"Mac Pro" + new Cinema Displays at end of 2006, alongside Leopard.