User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

2/28 Special Event Video Link

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2/28 Special Event Video Link
JK47

2006-02-28, 15:12

Does anyone have a link to a video broadcast of today's special event? I couldn't seem to find one on apple.com. Thanks....
neiltc13

2006-02-28, 15:13

It usually takes them a few hours to put the events online, if they do at all.
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:20

It most likely will be here and here later today.

Last edited by Paul : 2006-02-28 at 15:26.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-28, 15:33

It overall lameness and "yeah, and?" vibe may keep it from being repeat viewed.

I'm betting Apple destroys the video...
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:49

They can't. Any time Steve or some other executive semi-publicly announces something materially related to the company it needs to be available on the website in at least transcript form. That is how it works at any public company. (And I know you were just kidding, but some people might not have known that they are legally barred from doing that.)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Annon

Send a message via ICQ to Annon Send a message via AIM to Annon  
2006-02-28, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
They can't. Any time Steve or some other executive semi-publicly announces something materially related to the company it needs to be available on the website in at least transcript form. That is how it works at any public company. (And I know you were just kidding, but some people might not have known that they are legally barred from doing that.)
I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Do you have any more details on this "law"?
Mac Donald

2006-02-28, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annon
I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Do you have any more details on this "law"?
It's definitely not true. There is no requirement that executives post a written transcript of press events. None. Even if there were, I am aware of no law (and I am a lawyer who works in securities) that would not treat a video the same as a transcript for this type of requirement.

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
JK47

2006-02-28, 19:57

Strange...it still hasn't been posted yet. Maybe Apple realizes how much they've disappointed everyone who was waiting for a Core Duo iBook....
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47
Strange...it still hasn't been posted yet. Maybe Apple realizes how much they've disappointed everyone who was waiting for a Core Duo iBook....
I doubt that has anything to do with it. Remember, Jobs promised something for the anniversary, too (April 1). Be patient. It will come, and it will come this year. We just need to be patient.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
JK47

2006-02-28, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
I doubt that has anything to do with it. Remember, Jobs promised something for the anniversary, too (April 1). Be patient. It will come, and it will come this year. We just need to be patient.
Did he really? I thought he mentioned the anniversary at Mac World because he said there wouldn't be a major gathering that would allow them to celebrate it....
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-28, 20:46

Thats what he just said.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-28, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Thats what he just said.
Wrong.

At MacWorld, Steve said:

"One last thing. You know, Apple, uh, Apple was founded on April Fools Day in 1976. We thought that was funny at the time. And, uh, what that means is that Apple will be 30 years old this April Fools Day. And I don't know what we're going to do for it, but since we may not see many of you before then, I just wanted to point it out: 30 years making the best personal computers in the world. So, thank you. Thank you so much for coming today..."

He didn't promise anything. He just acknowledged that Apple is turning 30 years old, a respectable age considering its history.

You people read way too much into these things. This is what I'm talking about when I say you set yourselves up for disappointment.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-03-01, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Donald
It's definitely not true. There is no requirement that executives post a written transcript of press events. None. Even if there were, I am aware of no law (and I am a lawyer who works in securities) that would not treat a video the same as a transcript for this type of requirement.
Okay, so maybe not a transcript. But anything materially related to the company that is released to some of the public, needs to be available to all of the public in some form. But I'm pretty sure if there is a recording of the event and it is feasible to do so, the company is bound by the SEC to release it to the public.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Jerman

2006-03-01, 02:54

Here is a snippet of the event, you can see it here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple's_new_goodies/4661-10619_7-6455177.html?autoplay=true&tag=cnetfd.vid
wecallitfall

2006-03-01, 03:27

the engadget podcast has the audio of the event

while introducing the man mini and bragging about the core duo processor you can hear members of the audience coughing

this truly was pathetic
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-01, 07:07

And Steve calling Phil's Mac Book Pro a PowerBook on more than one occasion! Maybe hes having second thoughts about the name.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-01, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Okay, so maybe not a transcript. But anything materially related to the company that is released to some of the public, needs to be available to all of the public in some form. But I'm pretty sure if there is a recording of the event and it is feasible to do so, the company is bound by the SEC to release it to the public.
These should cover that whole public documentation requirement:
Apple Announces iPod Hi-Fi
Apple Unveils Mac mini with Intel Core Duo
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-01, 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
At MacWorld, Steve said:

"One last thing. You know, Apple, uh, Apple was founded on April Fools Day in 1976. We thought that was funny at the time. And, uh, what that means is that Apple will be 30 years old this April Fools Day. And I don't know what we're going to do for it, but since we may not see many of you before then, I just wanted to point it out: 30 years making the best personal computers in the world. So, thank you. Thank you so much for coming today..."
Heh, let's nit-pick. He said "before then" and not "until well after then". So that means he will see them again on April 1st. That's pretty obvious, and points to a video iPod tablet PDA phone, if you ask me. That's almost as good as saying "50%" when they really only have five computer lines. Steve really needs to be a bit more careful ...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-01, 07:33

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-03-01, 07:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Heh, let's nit-pick. He said "before then" and not "until well after then". So that means he will see them again on April 1st. That's pretty obvious, and points to a video iPod tablet PDA phone, if you ask me. That's almost as good as saying "50%" when they really only have five computer lines. Steve really needs to be a bit more careful ...
You forgot to add the DVR set-top box that it wirelessly syncs to in order to play the downloaded full length films on the 50" plasma TV.
neiltc13

2006-03-01, 07:49

CNET have some videos of the iPod Hi-Fi and Mac mini being unveiled.
JK47

2006-03-01, 11:21

When Steve first said that someone forgot to load the music, all I could imagine was the swift post-presentation firing the employee was going to get....
thequicksilver

Send a message via AIM to thequicksilver Send a message via MSN to thequicksilver Send a message via Skype™ to thequicksilver 
2006-03-01, 11:47

The Inside Mac TV podcast has a 20 or so minute video of it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-03-01, 11:48

The person probably didn't even have to wait until the end of the presentation. they were probably just thrown out of the building at the moment Steve realized what happened.
wecallitfall

2006-03-01, 12:15

they probably didn't even need to be thrown

i can just imagine, his [it could easily be a "her too] bowing and nodding in acceptance and walking out without saying a word
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-03-01, 12:55

That was interesting to watch the podcast, Steve mistook the Macbook Pro for a Powerbook several times, I think even he doesn't like the name change. :P
Bill M

2006-03-01, 13:45

The new intel Mac mini is a small step in the right direction, with its first direct integration (front row) at the home theater level and faster innards, albeit it's price hike will probably not look good in the eyes of general consumers ($499 was a nice entry level price for potential switchers). The iPod Hi Fi is, imho, a cool "me too" product... Apple simply banking in on the extreme success of the iPod accessory market. Don't get me wrong though, I like the new products, although I am not in the market for either of them. Yet.

What is intriguing, is the fact that I don't find them so special or groundbreaking to have a an Apple event with Jobs there for the introduction. A simple press release like countless other product introductions would probably have been enough. Maybe even Phil would have been a better canditade for such presentation. My point is that, after watching the special event video, I think Apple might be overdoing these events to some extent. Most of us mac-heads will always be asking for more, I know... but there is a possibility that media people will grow tired of all the hoopla prior to events like this, with so little perceived substance. Overkill comes to mind as a description of the event.

Who knows, maybe the new intel Mac mini will be a huge seller with its new Front Row / Bonjour features, leaving the much-sought-after DVR options to third parties like El Gato. Maybe the new iPod Hi Fi does indeed sound way better than similar offerings from companies like JBL or BOSE; although I doubt it would replace dedicated high-end stuff. I think my Onkyo is safe. Yet.