AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 20 of 21 First Previous 16 17 18 19 [20] 21  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-09, 12:15

I loved that show when I was a kid (John Ritter was so funny/likable). But every plot was the same...someobdy misheard something and the entire episode was spent watching the results, and the fixing/resolution, of that "mistake". It was a pretty one-note show, but it was good, clean(?) fun. It was always Ritter's vehicle...everyone else was just dressing/trim, IMO (the rotating blondes, landlords, mousy Janet, creepy Larry, etc.).

Back to the informercials, some are so "out there" in their claims. Are these things not regulated or have to meet some sort of standard? Or is their wiggle room in this sort of advertising? Something in the small print that allows so many of these things to be such obvious bullcrap?

I'll sit and watch a bit of some of them and think "that's so not true! Why are these people clapping?" (I know they're paid participants, so they're in on the racket too). I just think about some of the poor people reaching for their credit cards on some of these things, and the disappointment they must feel 2-3 months later when nothing is doing what it was supposed to, or is lying in pieces on the floor, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-09 at 12:31.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-09, 12:39

False advertising is a thing, but the burden of proof seems to be quite high.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-25, 10:24

Anyone else notice the trend in recent years (I think I first saw it in a Maleficent trailer, but it seems to be in a lot of commercials now as well) of a somewhat popular, known song - even a 60's or 70's rock classic - reworked into a plodding, minor-key dirge with just a sparse piano and an aching female vocal (always a wispy, aching female vocalist, apparently on the verge of tears and a mental breakdown).

I see/hear this quite a bit, in both movie trailers and commercials. Also used in promos for Serious & Edgy™ TV shows (streaming or network), I've recently noticed.

I guess it's to evoke moodiness, but, as with all trends/tropes, it's reached the point of tired-ass, overdone cliché. Every time I hear that grim tinkling piano in the opening seconds of a commercial or movie trailer, I know what's coming.

"Here we go...".

Always interesting to see what songs are given this treatment. Color me impressed if/when "Whip It" and "Rock Around the Clock" ever make the cut.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-25, 10:47

Boy, I don't subscribe to TV and only watch streaming stuff 1/2 hour or so/day on average. So I don't see a lot of commercials.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-25, 12:21

For any of my friends overseas who do not know this commercial series...

Dr. Rick: Do we really need a sign to "Live, Laugh, and Love?"

Group: yes

Dr. Rick: The answer is NO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTs6UY1G9wM

Every time I hear this commercial and the guy says "Joaquin" in response to how to say "Quinoa" I have an enormous swelling of comedic pride for whoever wrote this piece.

I will watch this one over and over.

Edit: MORE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IKW9s8WHrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kes4eXCpCxo

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-25, 12:22

How do you say "quinoa"? Because I'll wager $35 I'm saying it wrong.

Is it one of those weird words where none of the letters make sense or act like they're supposed to?

Probably.

"You don't spell it son, you eat it!"

A nickel to whoever cites the movie/character. No cheating!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-25, 12:32

Keen Wah

¡Damned!

2021-06-25, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Anyone else notice the trend in recent years (I think I first saw it in a Maleficent trailer, but it seems to be in a lot of commercials now as well) of a somewhat popular, known song - even a 60's or 70's rock classic - reworked into a plodding, minor-key dirge with just a sparse piano and an aching female vocal (always a wispy, aching female vocalist, apparently on the verge of tears and a mental breakdown). ... Always interesting to see what songs are given this treatment. Color me impressed if/when "Whip It" and "Rock Around the Clock" ever make the cut.
I blame Donnie Darko*.

I don't mind the occasional angsty-waif sound, but some of these covers go right up to the edge of what should/shouldn't be done, and some are brilliant. Like, I like this enough, but it could easily have been awful with just a little more angst. This, on the other hand, I feel in my loins.

*Also Placebo. It's great but got played to death and influenced a lot of this thing.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-25, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
"Parentology"

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-02, 09:40

I've seen this commercial about 10-12 times now - it's constantly airing - and I still don't know WTF this bear is saying. Or the woman, for that matter (and I checked...it's not a foreign language version).

Can anyone translate? That bear's voice is impossible to understand, all that high-pitched squealing. And she's a world-class mumbler.

My attempt:

Bear: "Snuggle's delicious. And it's foggy blue with tits and I like bears, a hundred dates!"

Bear at end: "Nope this is from my Dewars. Stop pretending!" (I knew the little bastard was drinking). And it appears he's a mean drunk as well.

If you watch it without the audio (recommended), it looks like the woman gets taken over by a vengeful, evil spirit, maliciously controlling her body. Dub in some creepy, atonal music and give that bear some glowing eyes via After Effects and you've got a whole other vibe.

That aside, I would love to know what the hell is going on in this commercial.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-02, 10:32

"Snuggles Exhilarations, it makes laundry "bloom" with scent, and lasts for up to 100 days!"

I will charge to translate the rest.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-02, 13:47

I did not get/hear that at all. As for the rest, I be like mine better.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-07-02, 18:24

You're welcome.
Quote:
(woman) Why are all these flowers here?

(Snuggles Bear) Snuggles Exhilarations. It makes laundry bloom with scent and lasts for up to 100 days.

(woman) Does it also make you want to dance?

(Snuggles Bear) Nope. This is just for my viewers. Don't stop! We're trending!

(woman) Snuggles Exhilarations. Just washed freshness for up to 100 days.
If this is how typical commercials run nowadays, no sir, I don't miss television one bit.

But I am grateful this thread keeps me aware of the maddening trends.

I also like your foggy blue tits version better.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-02, 18:27

That bear is on TV (I mean other than the one I'm watching him on)? It's such a confusing, stupid commercial on multiple levels. I'm a reasonably sharp guy (no, really), but I just don't get what's going on.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-13, 12:32

Believe it or not, there is a commercial currently airing that I kinda like. No, really!

It's a spot for Orkin, where a handsome German shepherd is watching an Orkin tech treat the yard and he's talking/thinking to himself, commenting on all her tasks/movements. Something about it is so cute to me, hearing that dog "assessing" the situation and appreciating her dedication.

It's just cute and understated, and I can go with it. I'd love to have a talking dog like him.

Danke, Orkin.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-07-13, 14:04

I think we need a ruling from Chucker on the authenticity of that German accent, though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-13, 14:25

It's one of those Hans Gruber dogs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-14, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I have never seen so many people so happy to take a crap.

Between this, those wiping cartoon bears (Charmin?), the “no smell” drops, the Colo-guard “shit in a box and ship it off to the worst job in the world” and the half-dozen constipation/IBS/Chrohn’s prescription/“ask your doctor about…” spots, TV has never been so poo-centric/obsessed.

If it’s not Peloton, then someone is laying a loaf (or lamenting their inability to do so). Or their inability to stop doing so.

We get it, Madison Avenue/Big Pharma. People go. But I kinda liked it better when I wasn’t beaten over the head about it to such a degree. Ease up, please?
Case, rested.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-15, 11:07

You know, there are days when I just don't want to click the link.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-15, 16:26

There are definitely better ways to advertise such products, I know because I've seen them. Most people know what toilets look like, and what people look like on them, we don't need to see someone sitting on one in an ad.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-15, 17:03

Exactly. It’s just tacky. It’s like they’re trying to be funny and/or edgy, but they’re neither. And the whole “I am woman, hear me shit” angle is a bit goofy as well. It’s just a stupid commercial, done in the most off-putting, smug way these people could come up with, apparently. I’m genuinely surprised they saw fit to spare us the plopping sounds. I’m sure that was an argument in the editing booth.

“We, like, really have to, like, sell it!”

Uh, no the hell you don’t. STFU and go sit ion your toilet you seem to love so much.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-22, 16:24

Is there a reason Dan Levy is in 75% of the commercials (or does it just seem that way?) showing up on my TV?

Seems he missed his calling of hosting a supremely catty, oblivious-to-reality interior design/real estate show on HGTV (because they can never have too many of those).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-19, 19:59

Re: Dan Levy, he's now appearing in Doritos commercials with the - to me - equally annoying/unfunny Kate McKinnon. The two of them together...so obnoxious and cringe-inducing.

I was watching Key & Peele and the commercial keeps airing. Kinda jarring to go from "genuinely funny" to "not even close" every 6-7 minutes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-28, 05:05

Saw this the other day, and 2-3 times since:

GEICO Western duel scheduling

Just kinda silly overall, modern schedule-checking in this type of setting (listen to the things they say they have going on), but the “thought we was eatin’ beans at 3:30” part made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it, and I still smile/chuckle at it. The delivery, accent.

Not “lunch”, or just plain “thought we was eatin’ at 3:30”. That it’s specifically beans just struck me as funny, as though that’s a real treat and that guy saying it is really looking forward to it!.

Well-written/acted, funny (to me, anyway) commercial.

And, thanks to Blazing Saddles, I suppose the thought of Old West cowboys eating beans is always gonna be a little funny.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-28 at 05:31.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-28, 12:01

That's cute.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-28, 15:59

Man, that feels like my life.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-02-20, 23:29

Can somebody explain the new Chevy Silverado commercial to me? Yes, I understand that it's an homage to the Sopranos opening, but are we saying that mobsters drive Silverados now? Because that's MY walkaway. What is the actual intent of the commercial?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-21, 00:20

I saw it over the weekend. Like other properties/franchises, I think they just wanted to do a bit of fan-service/nostalgia…”hey, check it out…we’re kinda doing that whole Sopranos opening sequence…but since everyone involved with the show is either dead, retired or has better thing things to do, we’ll showcase Tony’s two worthless shithead kids who nobody liked, and probably gives even less of a shit about now, 15 years on. High-five!”

Was it a Super Bowl spot? Kinda comes across as one. I realize there was nobody getting hit in the nuts as they ate Doritos, but still…

Yeah, I think it’s a huge “yeah…so?” spot, just hitting all the wrong marks and trying to do that nostalgia grab in a clumsy way.

“Hey, those Star Wars dorks are doing all this kind of stuff in those TV shows and people are going nuts…let’s get in on some of that!”

Maybe if they had borrowed the Mandalorian deep-fake/CGI guys and put a slightly older James Gandolfini (with permission from his family, of course) back in the driver’s seat, then they might’ve had something.

Nobody cares about A.J. and Meadow.

Just a weak nostalgia, “remember when?” grab.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-21, 01:17

I talked earlier in this thread how several companies will wind up using the same song/music around the same time, oddly enough (I wrote how that operatic Magic Flute thing was in 2-3 separate commercials all playing in the same general time frame.

Well, it has struck again.

This time the song is “What a Wonderful World”.

In the space of two days I’ve seen it used in:

1) a Vanguard financial planning spot, 2) some cruise ship line (probably COVID-drenched at this point) and 3) a “save the elephants”/World Wildlife Fund(?) commercial.

So…invest wisely, try not to shit yourself on a floating Petri dish (aka a Caribbean cruise) and “symbolically” (their word, not mine) adopt a baby elephant.

Assuming they’re created by three separate agencies, it’s just interesting/amusing to me how, once again, several people all jumped on the same song (various covers/treatments) at the same time for use in three quite different types of commercials (financial, travel and charity).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-22, 21:13

Hands down the most annoying commercial I’ve seen in a good 10 years. Maybe longer.

I don’t even understand the “hook” or purpose/joke.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-22 at 21:26.