User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bonjour
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-06-20, 11:59

How the hell do I use it? I'm trying to use Coda's cooperative editing services but Bonjour is the only thing that is stopping us... I've got it turned on and all...

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-06-20, 12:03

Are you and your editing partner on the same local network? Bonjour doesn't extend past your subnet.
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2007-06-20, 12:05

Nope. They live in Chicago I think... Coda has said something about working people on your local network or across the globe. I thought Bonjour was for that. Know how to get Coda working in that sense?

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-06-20, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
Know how to get Coda working in that sense?
From Steven Frank's blog:

Quote:
Three heads are better than two

If you've never tried Subetha Engine-powered editing, you really ought to, just to see what it's like. Here's a bird's-eye synopsis:

You can either host a shared document, or join someone else's.

To share a document you're working on, click the Share button at the bottom of the editor to bring up the Share banner, then click the "Bonjour" button. This makes the document visible to others on your local network. To send an invitation to this document to another Coda or SubEthaEdit user, use the Invite popup.

To join another person's document, click the sharing icon at the bottom of the file browser (the third button from the left). If any documents are being shared by other Coda or SubEthaEdit users on your local network, they'll be listed here. Simply double-click to join one.

To join a document beyond your local network, and over the internet, click Connect To... and enter a host address (try codingmonkeys.de for a test server!)

The File > Access Control sub-menu gives you some control over what guests can and can't do to your shared document.
King Kovifor

2007-06-20, 13:05

Hmm. I'm on a server with the person I'm doing this with. I have a separate FTP login as him...

We are both editing the same file remotely? Any other ideas? We are using the Connect To... stuff.

Macintosh - My Anti-Drug