Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Microsoft Patents the Double-Click

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Microsoft Patents the Double-Click
noleli2

2004-06-02, 21:44

Quote:
The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that Microsoft was granted a patent for double-clicking on April 27. The patent in question is 6,727,830 and says, amongst other stuff: 'A default function for an application is launched if the button is pressed for a short, i.e., normal, period of time. An alternative function of the application is launched if the button is pressed for a long, (e.g., at least one second), period of time. Still another function can be launched if the application button is pressed multiple times within a short period of time, e.g., double click'.
/.
I would think this would be public domain. I could see maybe for certain hardware-specific functions (PDA) that this would make sense, and I assume that was the original intent, but sheesh....
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-02, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2

I would think this would be public domain. I could see maybe for certain hardware-specific functions (PDA) that this would make sense, and I assume that was the original intent, but sheesh....
i was reading that /. article, but even the pda stuff has been done. palms, probably since like their first release, have had that button on the side that, when you hold it down for a period, it can turn on the backlight. i'm not a lawyer, but from my reading of the patent, theres prior art out there.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-06-02, 22:45

actually, the newton also did that stuff before, and there's probably something before that.

lame ass patent.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-06-02, 22:51

Doug Engelbart's 1968 Demo of Mouse

Streaming video clips from the original demo, from the guy who "invented" the Mouse.
Quote:
This was the public debut of the computer mouse. But the mouse was only one of many innovations demonstrated that day, including hypertext, object addressing and dynamic file linking, as well as shared-screen collaboration involving two persons at different sites communicating over a network with audio and video interface.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-06-05, 17:06

I think I'm going to take out a patent on eating and drinking... sure there is prior precedent, but hey if MS can patent universal things like mouse clicks, I can patent food consumption.

[Dave Chapelle] I'm gonna be rich, bitch! [/Dave Chapelle]

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-05, 22:51

i think i will file a patent for right handed masterbation...

i shall make a fortune

g

i would file one for left handed masterbation also, but left handed people are witches

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Cybermonkey

2004-06-06, 05:25

The patent is being challenged by the Public Patent Foundation and will not have gone unnoticed at Apple, whose first Macintosh pioneered the use of a mouse.

That was taken from macuser just in case no-one has read the whole story.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-06-06, 05:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
I think I'm going to take out a patent on eating and drinking... sure there is prior precedent, but hey if MS can patent universal things like mouse clicks, I can patent food consumption.

[Dave Chapelle] I'm gonna be rich, bitch! [/Dave Chapelle]

Make sure you patent the "South Park method" as well, just to be sure
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-06, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
Make sure you patent the "South Park method" as well, just to be sure
don't forget "The Stranger," c/o lil jon.