User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc 2021
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-08, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Or the game changer that will sell Apple Watches like hotcakes - Blood Sugar Monitoring - is being held for November.
If they do have blood sugar monitoring, I expect it to be virtually useless for diabetics, and possibly useful for early diagnosis.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-08, 02:37

Ok... so everyone stayed to the very end to check out Object Capture and Swift Concurrency, right?

AR just got a massive boost, and ERLANG LIVES.

Erlang was a language created by Ericsson Research that is famously robust and flexible in distributed environments, such as the cell networks it was designed to run.

Actors are small pieces of code that can be invoked, and rested, at will. If they disappear (bad network, whatever), it just recovers with another resource.

First-class support in Swift means that failback concurrency, parallelism, and such are baked in to every iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS device. Multi-core is a no-brainer.

LLVM/clang means that every device can be compiled for on the fly... and having them be increasingly M* family CPU/GPU makes that simpler.

Universal Control means that every device on your iCloud ID knows about each other and can work seamlessly, to the point of being able to dynamically request each other to perform computation that may be invoked on demand.

Now assume that they aren't throwing Object Capture out there for fun, and have a VR/AR display in the works, one that needs more computation power that an on-board system can reasonably be powered to handle.

Starting to see where this can go?

Boring, my ass. This was phenomenal.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2021-06-08 at 03:04.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-08, 03:16

async/await and actors weren't a big deal at the keynote because there were developed out in the open for years. There was no surprise announcement there.

(Also, async/await is, like, last decade's news at this point.)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-08, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Fine!! I take it all back!!!

It was the chowder!!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-08, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Sort of. It’s Safari-only, and more of a proxy than a VPN, I guess.
This is how I took it. More proxy and less VPN.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-08, 11:31

Quote:
I have to remind myself that WWDC is for developers. I mean it is the World Wide Developers Conference, after all.

I'm glad you found something in it, Kick. Nothing they said really smacked me as "holy cow, the world's gonna change", but if something stands out to developers and IT folks and such, then great. I was hoping for some Mx news, and we got none. I suspect there are delivery problems, and Apple chose to wait—kudos to them if that's what happened, since I would rather wait on a New Mysterious Thing® than have another AirPower fiasco.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-08, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I have to remind myself that WWDC is for developers. I mean it is the World Wide Developers Conference, after all.
Right?

Quote:
I'm glad you found something in it, Kick. Nothing they said really smacked me as "holy cow, the world's gonna change", but if something stands out to developers and IT folks and such, then great. I was hoping for some Mx news, and we got none. I suspect there are delivery problems, and Apple chose to wait—kudos to them if that's what happened, since I would rather wait on a New Mysterious Thing® than have another AirPower fiasco.
Despite Apple's reputation for extreme secrecy, they usually telegraph their moves 3-5 years in advance if you're looking at the developer-oriented announcements.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-08, 18:15

Quote:
Despite Apple's reputation for extreme secrecy, they usually telegraph their moves 3-5 years in advance if you're looking at the developer-oriented announcements.
So what might we surmise from this telegraphy regarding CarPlay and the Apple Whip?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-08, 18:16

Oh, I know. For instance, I knew Apple had to pre-announce the Apple Silicon thing because developers have to know well in advance, and all this new software tech tells us a lot about where Apple is headed. And I'm sure some sneaky sleuth-types will find some hidden Apple Silicon tidbits beneath the hood.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-08, 18:45

The secret to a happy life is often finding that tidbit hidden beneath the hood.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-06-08, 19:35

I see what you did there.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-09, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
If they do have blood sugar monitoring, I expect it to be virtually useless for diabetics, and possibly useful for early diagnosis.
But isn't the sharp increase in diabetes the whole reason this feature is being asked for?
chucker

2021-06-09, 14:59

Quote:
But isn't the sharp increase in diabetes the whole reason this feature is being asked for?
Well, again, it might be good enough as an an early indicator of "you might be developing pre-diabetes", which is not nothing.

But also, I think folks are looking for the holy grail of non-invasive yet sufficiently accurate measurement and we don't seem to be there yet. (There are a few companies who claim to have achieved exactly that, but, well, snake oil exists everywhere.) You either prick your finger multiple times a day, or you insert a sensor into your arm every other week.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-09, 15:24

Yeah, the holy grail is definitely instant blood sugar analysis for insulin injection reasons.

"Hey, your blood sugar is really low! Tap here to get fixed."

Or something.

I am not aware of a "see's through the skin" thing that could fit on your wrist, but I'm not diabetic so why would I know? The people that figure it out and can fit it all into a watch gonna be rich and in the news!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-09, 15:27

It would also need to be coupled with iPhone and Maps, for Location Analysis:

"We can see you're standing in line at Dairy Queen. Leave the premises now."
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-09, 17:21

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-06-09, 19:55

Quote:
It would also need to be coupled with iPhone and Maps, for Location Analysis:

"We can see you're standing in line at Dairy Queen. Leave the premises now."
Hey now, when you’re low ice cream is the ticket to get you to safe levels.

You might think that’s a joke, but my sisters friend got low a lot when they were in high school. They saved her life a few times with ice cream or candy bars.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-10, 11:06

Very true, but it may have been the ice cream that got the issue started.