User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iGoogle?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-05-16, 19:36

Check it out: http://www.google.com/ now has a fancy new header bar if you're logged in, and the search results page is so much more... 2.0.

I had always wondered what the /ig stood for in the homepage url...

iGoogle? Really?

Last edited by Majost : 2007-05-16 at 19:42. Reason: Hello, the
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-16, 19:40

Nothing's changed here.

EDIT: Once you go to your home page, then every time you go to google.com it forwards to your home page. I don't see a new header bar though.


Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-05-16, 19:42

Google.com still has the classic homepage.

Try:
iGoogle
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-05-16, 19:52

Yeah, the header bar seems to have vanished again into never-never land. Aha! Found it in my cache:

And the dropdown:

Last edited by Majost : 2007-05-17 at 01:26.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-16, 19:53

Oh, I thought that's been there for a while.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-16, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Oh, I thought that's been there for a while.
The new global header link bar has only been up since earlier today.
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-05-16, 22:47

Yeah, I think they put it up when I was between searches earlier. There was a period of a couple minutes when the site wasn't responding, and when it finally loaded again, there it was.

For the record, I'm not such a fan - I wonder if it's something you can turn off if you're logged in...
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-05-17, 02:57

iGoogle is simply a new name for "Personalised Home Page" - this was announced a few weeks ago. It means that if you are logged in, you can select to choose some "gadgets" to display on your homepage (news feeds, gmail, gtalk, etc etc). You can also choose a theme if you like. iGoogle was the name originally planned for this feature, hence the "ig" in the URL.

Yesterday they announced the new "universal navigation bar" that you see at the top of your page (not a major change - a lot of the things on here already appeared on most pages anyway - the major difference is there's a line now).

They also announced "universal search", meaning that Google searches will now show up news results, images, YouTube videos and so on in the main results page. Like so.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-05-17, 06:14

From what I've read, it's been propogated to locales gradually.... saw the note about it on Digg last night and popped over there to look at it.

One annoyance:
In the "old" Google, I'm pretty dead certain that my cursor was allowed to skip to the end of the text entry field if I hit the DOWN arrow and to the beginning of the text entry field if hit the UP arrow. Google 2.0 doesn't provide that rapid keyboard-based movement through the text field. It REALLY slows me down being forced to reach for the stylus/mouse/trackpad, or tap-tapping the LEFT arrow.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-17, 06:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
One annoyance:
In the "old" Google, I'm pretty dead certain that my cursor was allowed to skip to the end of the text entry field if I hit the DOWN arrow and to the beginning of the text entry field if hit the UP arrow. Google 2.0 doesn't provide that rapid keyboard-based movement through the text field. It REALLY slows me down being forced to reach for the stylus/mouse/trackpad, or tap-tapping the LEFT arrow.
ctrl-A/ctrl-E, or cmd-left/cmd-right.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-17, 06:22

Quote:
In the "old" Google, I'm pretty dead certain that my cursor was allowed to skip to the end of the text entry field if I hit the DOWN arrow and to the beginning of the text entry field if hit the UP arrow.
This still works for me in the "new" Google's search text field. What's your browser?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-05-17, 08:45

wow, just like www.netvibes.com but more recent. innovative? nah. useful? yes, a lot, if netvibes is any indication.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-05-17, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This still works for me in the "new" Google's search text field. What's your browser?
That was in Firefox.... must try it in Shiira. As always, thanks for le tippage Chucker~
goodonpaper

Send a message via MSN to goodonpaper Send a message via Skype™ to goodonpaper 
2007-05-18, 06:56

Like: the fact that they've finally figured out a simple, universal header menu.

Do not like: the Personalized Homepage, which is rubbish, and easily at the bottom of the pile so far as these things go.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-05-18, 08:12

Quote:
From what I've read, it's been propogated to locales gradually.... saw the note about it on Digg last night and popped over there to look at it.
That's correct. The universal bar Google bar at the top and the white bubble to switch between result types hasn't been rolled out to ".com.au" yet, although we do get the integrated search results (ie pictures, news, blog posts etc. all on the same page).
Partial
Stallion

2007-05-18, 10:11

I am not a fan of the new google. I am not used to the tab location yet.
Dovek916

2007-05-19, 21:06

Is there anyway to get the classic google back? I hate the new one it looks ugly
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-05-20, 00:35

On my personalised google page (.au) there is a link called Classic Home. Try that.
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-05-20, 02:45

Hrm...when they updated the site with the new toolbar, they seem to have partially borked the formatting on the print view for Google Maps. When you print a map out in Safari, the logo now gets pushed way over to the right by the toolbar; when printing from Internet Exploder on Windows, the Google logo is missing entirely, leaving a big gap in the top-left corner of the page.