User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple's U.S. Recycling Policy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's U.S. Recycling Policy
JK47

2007-05-25, 18:27

I was wondering what Apple's recycling policy is in the U.S. The 'Greener Apple' section of Apple.com references recycling, but what are the guidelines? Do you have to buy a new computer through Apple? Does it just have to be an Apple product? Or can you recycle any computer/monitor through Apple?

For example, I have an ancient Apple monitor (from a Performa 630 CD). Can I just walk into my local Apple store and hand it off to them without a new purchase? I also have a handful of other old computers/computer parts from miscellaneous manufactures. Can I give them to my Apple store to recycle too?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-25, 18:49

http://www.apple.com/environment/rec...ram/index.html has some info.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-25, 18:58

Furthermore,

http://www.apple.com/environment/rec...ogram/faq.html

Quote:
Q. How do I qualify for Apple Free Recycling?
A. Purchase any Apple computer and/or Apple monitor and receive Free Recycling of your old computer and old monitor from an Apple Retail Store, through Apple Telesales or the Apple Online Store and receive free recycling of your old computer products.

Q. Who qualifies for free Recycling?
A. Apple Free Recycling is offered to consumers, customers at the Apple Store for education individual purchasers, and small business customers. HTML capabilities are required to read the shipping authorization codes on the email. This offer is not valid for institutions, corporations, and enterprise customers. Apple offers a volume-recycling service for institutions, corporations, and enterprise customers through Apple Corporate Recycling. For more information, contact Apple Corporate Recycling at irecycle@apple.com

Q. What products are eligible for recycling?
A. Free recycling is available with qualifying purchases of new or Apple certified refurbished computers and/or monitors. This offer is not valid with the purchase of used equipment. Apple will accept for recycling computers, monitors, and peripherals from any manufacturer, except products contaminated or suspected of being contaminated with chemicals, biological agents or other substances that are not integral to the original new equipment or otherwise associated with normal office or household environments. Apple will not accept hazardous waste. Apple will not accept batteries that are not an integral part of the system being recycled, UPS systems, CRTs that have been removed from their cases, or CRTs that are cracked or broken.
Therefore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Do you have to buy a new computer through Apple? Does it just have to be an Apple product?
Yes and no, respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
For example, I have an ancient Apple monitor (from a Performa 630 CD). Can I just walk into my local Apple store and hand it off to them without a new purchase? I also have a handful of other old computers/computer parts from miscellaneous manufactures. Can I give them to my Apple store to recycle too?
Probably not. I'd call them personally to find out, though.
JK47

2007-05-25, 19:28

Thanks for the info.