Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 2 of 7 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-15, 14:50

I’m considering trading my XS for a 13 Mini, just trying to decide if it’s worth it. Would be nice to jump to 128GB from 64GB (I always get the base model). There aren’t any must haves, but a smaller phone would be nice.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 15:05

What would it cost you to do so?

It's been three years (introduced in September 2018) and a three-generation processor jump (plus all the other things they announced yesterday).

Why not?

I'll never be a "new iPhone every year" (or even two years) kinda guy, but three years (or more) is certainly reasonable and makes for a noticeable, "worth it" improvement in performance, camera, battery life and all the rest. Plus, right out of the box, you've got double the storage. That's always nice.

If I were in your shoes, considering all the above, I'd totally do it, especially if it cost under $500 to do so (that part I don't know).

EDIT: Looks like Apple is offering $240 trade-in value for an Xs in good condition. Shakes out to $459 if I'm doing everything right. I'd definitely do it, to replace a three-year-old iPhone with a brand new, just-announced flagship model (in a nice, compact size) for $60 more than you'd pay for a lowly SE.

PS - If you were sitting on an iPhone 12 (or even 11), I probably wouldn't be such a devil on your shoulder...but a three-year-old phone? That's prime upgrade time, IMO. That's the sweet spot of a) not being ridiculous like Paul and keep phones for five-plus years, but b) three years is enough gap to appreciate the benefits/improvements (1-2 years, IMO, just isn't).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-15, 15:48

Each year for the past 4 years I've gone through this.

My iPhone X is more than I need, but I much prefer Face ID to Touch ID, so the SE is out. I don't want to buy old tech, and the SE is just old tech with an "SE" at the end.

I love the size of the Mini.

The Mini is now down to $599 (12 mini is still a thing).

I look at my X and wonder if I want to spend $17/month to replace a perfectly good phone.

Each year my phone loses $100 in trade-in value, and is now down to $200, although I could sell it in the wild for $400.

So, what to do? The Mini is awesome, but is it awesome enough?

Hell, I don't know. I don't need it, but I do want it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 15:59

I'm hoping to do a phone shuffle. Where AT&T lets me trade in an old iPhone 5 or original SE for Mrs T's upgrade. I'm going to go through the AT&T sales process for this because I have a good contact and worked sales so I'll let him earn his commissions.

This will let us keep her 11 Pro for one of the kids or something like that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
...although I could sell it in the wild for $400.
I think that's your best best/smartest approach, even though it opens the door to dealing with potential goofballs/flakes. But if you're as good at that as I've come to be over the years, if shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
So, what to do? The Mini is awesome, but is it awesome enough?
For a four-year-old phone that you're only going to continue losing value on? I think so.

Like PB PM above, you're in that "reasonable" zone of a 3-4 year old phone that is surely starting to show its age by now.

Treat yourself. Can't always be about "need". Sometimes "want" has to be let out to play too.

If you can truly get $400 for your current iPhone X, then that's $200 for an iPhone 12 mini...still a three-generation jump in processor, right? PB PM is wanting to go from a Xs to a 13 mini, while you're looking to do the same, just one year back (a X to a 12 mini). Everything I said to him above applies here, I think. Three years' worth of improvement in performance, camera, display, battery, etc.

You'd be crazy not to!

EDIT: no double storage out of the box...my mistake (the 12 mini still has 64GB).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-15 at 16:30.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 16:13

Folks, I'm just going to be the devil on everyone's shoulder in this thread. If you've got anything older than an iPhone 11, yes, you should get the iPhone 13. I don't even need to know the details/specifics!

Take advantage of a decent trade-in or resell value while you can...why not?

So let it be written, so let it be done.

You're welcome.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-15 at 16:25.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-15, 17:17

Yeah, if I can get decent money for this thing, it might be prudent to push the button. Will see after I talk to my guy.

'Cause I have a guy.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-15, 17:19

Hmm. I'm on an 11 and it still feels plenty fast. Except for a few unfortunate scratches, and much-degraded battery life (unclear on this… I can never quite figure out based on Apple's charts what the culprit is), it feels good as new.

So I can imagine a XR also being good enough?

I also have an 8 (same generation as the X) still lying around, but its battery was quite annoying even two years ago when I got the 11.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-15, 20:50

I'm also on an XS. I think I'm going to upgrade, but probably will skip the initial rush so I have a chance to see the various sizes and colors in-person.

I can basically upgrade for free if I buy through my carrier, since my employer lets me expense $80/mo in cell phone expenses and my plan is only $55. So financially, there's little reason not to upgrade, other than waiting to see what 2022 brings.

The only features I care much about are the improved battery life, cameras and dual eSIM support. The improved telephoto lens is pretty tempting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-15, 23:04

You pathetic first world snobs.

My iPhone 7 Plus is the most phone anyone could possibly want. It's still FAST, it has 2 BUILT IN CAMERAS, it uses 4Gs, and has cloud technology.

Get over yourselves!!!!4

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-15, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
What would it cost you to do so?

It's been three years (introduced in September 2018) and a three-generation processor jump (plus all the other things they announced yesterday).

Why not?

I'll never be a "new iPhone every year" (or even two years) kinda guy, but three years (or more) is certainly reasonable and makes for a noticeable, "worth it" improvement in performance, camera, battery life and all the rest. Plus, right out of the box, you've got double the storage. That's always nice.

If I were in your shoes, considering all the above, I'd totally do it, especially if it cost under $500 to do so (that part I don't know).

EDIT: Looks like Apple is offering $240 trade-in value for an Xs in good condition. Shakes out to $459 if I'm doing everything right. I'd definitely do it, to replace a three-year-old iPhone with a brand new, just-announced flagship model (in a nice, compact size) for $60 more than you'd pay for a lowly SE.

PS - If you were sitting on an iPhone 12 (or even 11), I probably wouldn't be such a devil on your shoulder...but a three-year-old phone? That's prime upgrade time, IMO. That's the sweet spot of a) not being ridiculous like Paul and keep phones for five-plus years, but b) three years is enough gap to appreciate the benefits/improvements (1-2 years, IMO, just isn't).
I don't have any pressing need for a newer phone, my the only reason at all to switch is the size. I cannot count how many times I've had to get into an awkward position on the job, only to be jabbed by this phone. I'm not a heavy user when it comes to my phone, it's used to take photos of my work for clients, file work reports to my businesses website (for the clients), web surfing during my lunch break, GPS to get to new clients, so it's not a CPU/GPU power thing. I don't game on my phone, or run Photoshop, so I don't care about that. Storage space isn't a big deal, I have 12.7GB free out of the 64GB (although I do have a good bit of stuff on iCloud & Dropbox, which helps). Let's put it this way, the phone never feels slow, the only thing making it slow is the poor reception from my carrier, but a new phone won't fix that. Here in Canada the phones are priced differently, so it would be $669+tax with a trade in. Still might be worth while anyway. It's not a huge priority, I won't be rushing to an Apple store in the next month to get one, but maybe next spring. Then I think of the size issue again, typing a work report on one of those smaller screen phones again would be painful. You cannot win I tell you!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 23:34

Then don’t get it. You overrode or canceled out all my reasons why (and I didn’t know it was $600 to do so). May as well stay with what you have, factoring in all the above. :

I’m so used to this 4” display I never think about it. I’m sure if all I’ve ever owned was an iPhone 6 and later I would’ve had a tough time getting this little SE. but I do really well with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-15, 23:38

I'm just trying to decide which color to get. As amazing as it is compared to my old phone, there's no WOW factor this year that motivates me to jump on the wagon. I'm actually thinking about buying UP to a NEWER model, but not splashing out entirely on a top level phone until the NEXT big leap in design features.

I mean, if I have made do with this phone for this long... you know?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-16, 05:31

Just set up my preorder for the 13 Pro 256gb in Graphite. I considered the blue but last time I strayed from black I ended up regretting it. Going to order the Belkin Magsafe iPhone/Watch/AirPod 3-1 Combo charger too.

Hoping the Apple Watch 7 goes on sale sooner rather than later.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-16, 11:14

I have my preorder set for the 13 mini in blue.

I figured I'll take a year and see if the smaller size works for me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 12:26

I REALLY want to see one in person before I can make the jump for myself. I love the concept but also want the improved camera system of the Pro. Man I'm so torn.

I'd ask you to post pictures when you get it, but they will be all over the web anyway and I really need to get it in my hand to figure out the feasibility for me and my uses. Paul, mock me up one and ship it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 12:37

Yes, if you are choosing the size, I think an in person visit is a must. I even forgot how hard it was to type on my 6S vs XS before I helped my mum do something on her 6S. She uses one of those touch screen pens because it's hard for her and my dad to use it. I know I don't have that much trouble, but I sure make more typos on the small screen, and given how messed up auto prediction stuff is on iOS now, it's a real pain.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-16, 13:11

I'll never get a flagship phone (the price), but I'd be lying if I said that pink color in the 13 and 13 mini (and iPad mini) wasn't slowly, oddly growing on me. I doubt I'd ever follow through and get one, but it's actually kinda nice looking. It's a blush, rosy color vs. Barbie/bubblegum pink (which I could never like).

It's always hard to tell via these product shots, but I think it looks pretty nice. I've always liked a metallic, pastel salmon/rosy color. Not sure I'd want to own it for 2-4 years, but I definitely don't hate it. Looks better than I ever imagined when I first started hearing rumors of a "pink" iPhone 13. Your mind immediately goes to a certain shade (see "Barbie" comment above), but this one they went with is very nice.

I think I like it better than Starlight, which I just can't believe.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-16, 14:35

I was hesitant on the size last year, so I didn't do it and went with the Pro.

However, this year, I've been to the Apple Store a few times and have felt the mini and heat it and I really like the size. I think it will be exactly what I am looking for in a phone at this point.

I will definitely miss the zoom lens, but hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 15:45

It is kind of odd that when they choose to give something to the Mini and non-pro phones they give them a wide and a super wide. Why not a wide and a short telephoto that is less fancy?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-16, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
It is kind of odd that when they choose to give something to the Mini and non-pro phones they give them a wide and a super wide. Why not a wide and a short telephoto that is less fancy?
Because the ultra-wide is ultimately used a lot more in practice?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-16, 18:47

I suppose, I've always found the normal lens on the XS to be more than wide enough, but I don't take group selfies. Then again I don't use the telephoto a lot either, but I'm strange and don't use my iPhone as my primary camera.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 08:10

Macworld seems to have a pretty good breakdown of buying options for the phone with trade-ins and such.
I was looking over the options for Mrs T and it looks like the best option is to give up a Xs I have as a trade in value of $240 through Apple buying the new phone outright.

Otherwise if we go through AT&T we end up doing the same thing but instead buy an iPhone 7 from Walmart for ~$150 and get an $800 credit off the new phone but it is through 36 monthly bill credits. So while we won't be "locked" to AT&T, if you change devices or carriers during those 36 months you have to pay the credit you didn't get by leaving before the 36 months are up.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-17, 08:18

Now that I started buying outright a couple years ago, I won't go back. Hard to pass up yearly upgrades for $459.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 08:24

I just discovered they (apple.com) actually give Military discounts on the iPhone now! That is 10% off from the get go! It is like a free storage bump!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Now that I started buying outright a couple years ago, I won't go back. Hard to pass up yearly upgrades for $459.
So you trade in your old phone every year for the new one? As long as you don't drop it I guess that makes a lot of sense really. Or just every two years for the same yearly price in the end.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 08:50

I may have just ordered Mrs T a new Sierra Blue 13 Pro... Don't tell her.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-17, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

So you trade in your old phone every year for the new one? As long as you don't drop it I guess that makes a lot of sense really. Or just every two years for the same yearly price in the end.
Yeah I traded in my 12 Pro for the 13 Pro. Got $640 credit. Can't beat it. Knock on wood, I haven't used a case in many years and have never had an issue with dropping or scratching or anything like that. I pay for it through my company too so that helps.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 09:41

My last two phones (5 and SE) I just saved for and bought outright, upfront. All I pay for is AT&T’s lowest data plan (about $55/month for unlimited talk and text and 300MB(!) data).

But I am literally surrounded by WiFi everywhere I go (friends and family houses and even the two grocery stores I go to most). The only time I don’t have WiFi is when I’m driving…but guess what? I ain’t using/looking at my phone then anyway, so…

I’ve never used more than 120MB data a month.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 09:56

Quote:
Among the phones hit quickly with delays seems to be the new 1TB storage capacity iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max. The 13 Pro showed delays on Apple's website in three colors (blue, silver and graphite) while the Pro Max was delayed in all four colors. The Pro Max also saw delays in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB storage options in most colors, with the 512GB graphite Pro getting delays as well.

All storage options of the Pro Max showed some delays depending on color. As of 9:30 a.m. ET there did appear to be any shipping delays for the iPhone 13 or 13 Mini.
Shocking, delays are already stacking. Glad I ordered Mrs T's when I did. Her phone should be here Friday.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-17, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
My last two phones (5 and SE) I just saved for and bought outright, upfront. All I pay for is AT&T’s lowest data plan (about $55/month for unlimited talk and text and 300MB(!) data).

But I am literally surrounded by WiFi everywhere I go (friends and family houses and even the two grocery stores I go to most). The only time I don’t have WiFi is when I’m driving…but guess what? I ain’t using/looking at my phone then anyway, so…

I’ve never used more than 120MB data a month.
Geez. Last month I used 23GB of data