AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Watch Series 7

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch Series 7
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 14:42

It's the 8th generation Apple Watch, so it's called a Series 7! Makes sense to us.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-14, 14:45

Haven't upgraded since 4 so I'll definitely be getting this one. Battery on mine is showing its age.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-14, 15:06

I was hoping this one would have greater health sensors on it. The increase in screen size is nice, but it seems like a minimal bump really.

The screen improvements are good though. I would love them on my S6 but not worth upgrading for me. Mrs T, I might look at getting an S6 on sale now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-14, 15:46

Hm, I wonder what those rumors of a flatter design were about, since they were clearly quite wrong. Is that still in the works? Would it feel/look right on your wrist?

I'm also quite disappointed about the pricing.

The Series 3, which in watchOS 7 was so underspecced it had trouble installing software update (only the non-cellular model is affected, I think, and I believe this is also fixed in 8?), is still being sold new for $199. This also means headaches for developers, who will have to support its screen size for years to come. The SE is consequently still $279.

So we got a rather minor Series 7, a four-years-old Series 3, and sort of an in-between (a Series 5 with some of the 4's and 5's features removed).

It can be argued that the Watch is doing quite well and doesn't need major upgrades, but nonetheless, this is overall a less compelling line-up than last year, which is a weird choice?

Cycling fall detection is nice, though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-14, 15:53

I don't know but I'm not sure what I think about a flat edged Watch. Less round on the new one seems like a good compromise while still expanding the screen. I didn't look at the case dimensions to compare S6 v S7 at their thicker points but they looks really close.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-14, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I don't know but I'm not sure what I think about a flat edged Watch. Less round on the new one seems like a good compromise while still expanding the screen.
Yup.

In practice, when wearing it, my SE doesn't look that round at all. Much of it sinks into the skin anyway, and you wouldn't want that to feel bad, so the bottom will probably always be a bit round. The display could be a little flatter, and it sounds like they've done that.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 15:55

I don't think the Watch has much more to do until blood sugar monitoring is a thing. Then, it will sell like, well, BONKERS!

Until then, it's just more of the same. It's an Apple Watch with a slightly larger screen. And not much else.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2021-09-14, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I don't think the Watch has much more to do until blood sugar monitoring is a thing. Then, it will sell like, well, BONKERS!
Not happening, or if it is, people will greatly overestimate its usefulness for diabetics.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 16:08

We're talking about different things. The Apple Watch I'm referring to will have a small, internal needle in the band that will drive a tiny spike into your radial artery, vacuum up a tiny drop of blood, analyze it for sugar/insulin levels, and then inject a small coagulant into the hole to prevent you bleeding all over the band, which would otherwise tarnish Apple's reputation.

Get with the program!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2021-09-14, 16:32

Tired: blood clot

Wired: blood cloud™
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 16:35

* Free with subscription
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-15, 11:36

Apparently the leaked versions are unmarked, so they were unsure if it was a 7 or 8. I was really hoping it was a 7 because I really like the look of it.

I'm still getting this one as I really want the always on display and my 5 doesn't have it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 12:16

That is just to save face that they were wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-16, 05:18

Tom's Guide gives a mea culpa about how far off the rumors turned out to be and lamely tries to say "Heck, this is probably a pretty spiffy watch!"

It really was a bit of a letdown, and has given me great pause over what improvements the MacBook Pro might actually feature.

chucker

2021-09-16, 06:48

Quote:
Both also do a pretty good job at their own reports. Prosser, for example, let us know the flat-edged Apple Watch renders shared earlier this year could be for a different future Apple Watch. Gurman regularly cites leaks as claimed by inside sources, not stating leaks as sure facts.
Or, to put that a different way, both insert weasel words to ultimately not so much of anything.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 07:45

This actually strikes me as Apple probing for the mole to narrow down the source. Leak something that is a unicorn and they know a smaller group of who it was.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-16, 07:52

Oh sure, it's got "bait" written all over it now.

But you have to wonder if a company would create a cause for potential disappointment in the final product delivered. I think there's a bit of that happening now, with the Series 7.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 08:08

I have to admit the S7 is largely "meh" for an upgrade. Maybe the leaked renders have something to do with that. Sure there are improvement, but I have no compelling reason to upgrade my S6. Heck, Mrs T doesn't even want to put the money into a pulse ox to upgrade her S4. Next year's model might be a better value overall for us to upgrade. Her for sure.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-16, 09:32

I missed all this! Not being a watch guy, I’m out of the loop. Sounds like some watch stuff leaked that didn’t pan out and now everyone’s all pissy/disappointed that something completely improbable and not realistic never came to be?

Doesn’t that happen with every Apple product announcement/release?

This must’ve been a doozy!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 09:36

It was a drastically different look that leaked.

Personally, I'm also not a fan of the "flat" side button. I workout with this thing, that looks like an obnoxious change.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-16, 09:51

Honestly battery is the biggest reason I want to upgrade from my S4.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 09:55

I will say, the battery swap is really nice with Apple. I did it on a Sport version I had and it was pretty quick. I was without the watch for a few days though.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-16, 10:50

It helps to just automatically discount/ignore 50% of any leak one sees online. The remaining 50%, consider the source, timing, history, etc. and temper your expectations accordingly. That's what I've done for ages...I don't trust my own eyes at this point. It's been ages (as in 15+ years) since I've truly been "taken"/disappointed by a leak that didn't pan out. At most I'll go "that looks pretty awesome; I hope that's what we get". And then write 80,000 words on why I think it will, or won't, happen.

Stuff is just too easy to fake/spread anymore. Plus, if Apple themselves are behind this in their efforts to ferret out the loose-lipped within the company or supply chain, then it ain't gonna be true anyway. And they certainly have the ability to conjure up convincing, photorealistic-as-can-be fakes of stuff that looks the part. And then have it "accidentally" wind up in the hands of those they have their suspicions about, and see if/where it winds up (rumor sites, a Prosser Tweet, etc.).

BUSTED! "Pack your stuff, big-mouth...you're fired!"

Anyone making any serious, real stock buying/selling, or purchase, decisions based on leaks deserves to be disappointed. At best, it's just something nice to think about/hope for.

Was there any blowback on the people who put these leaks out or championed them? At times like this, some people want blood.

"I sold my current Apple Watch - at a loss - because I thought this was getting released the other day! Motherf..."

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-16 at 11:05.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-16, 12:24

Yontsey, not knowing your finances (and I don't need/want too) you might consider the S6 while you can still get it. IMO the savings would likely be worth it as opposed to the screen improvements in the S7.

The larger screen does look nice, but it just feels like such an "s" upgrade from phone generations of the past.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-04, 09:09

I just realized these weren't readily available yet when I saw an article that says the go on PRE-ORDER on the 8th. I'm glad I wasn't clamoring for one of these. The expectation of them getting into hands quickly is low too thanks to the whole pandemic excuse.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 09:24

We’re going to be blaming shit on COVID - legit or otherwise - for the next 15 years.

“Crayola no longer offers the built-in sharpener!”

“The Colonel’s 11 secret herbs and spices are now only 10!”

“My roof has a leak!”

“My dog won’t stop farting at the dinner table!”

…and on and on.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-04, 09:25

Oh you know it.
chucker

2021-10-04, 09:32

We have a few hardware projects now and… hardware parts are incredibly hard to source lately, and it's only getting worse.

Whether that's entirely on COVID-19, I don't know, but it does seem plausible that there are a lot of ripple effects from it. (Another way of putting that would be: companies never planned particularly well for emergencies.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 10:01

I don’t doubt it. Few things are as they were 18-24 months ago. But some are a bit more legit/understandable than others, that’s all. I think all tech companies, from what I’ve read/heard, are scrambling to get some things out the door. Apple, bring Apple, may have a bit more “pull” or status and not suffer as much as some, I don’t know. Are all companies created equal, and viewed as such? That would surprise me.

Hopefully, come spring, a lot of this stuff is in the rearview mirror, a good distance away.

My only real wish at this point, on numerous levels, is that 2022 shares very little with 2020-2021, other than similar numbers in its name.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-04, 14:10

I’m surprised Apple didn’t increase prices for new products. TSMC is slated to raise prices for silicon based on the 5-7nm tech by $300 in the next few weeks due to supply shortages. I assume that means per 1000 units (0.03 cents US per unit). Not a big deal, but it does show how bad it’s getting.